Thread: P90X and nutrition question page

fitartist is offline Member

P90X and nutrition question

I'm actually not starting P90X but a similar program that will be coming out around the New Year (Cathe Friedrich's XTrain). She is similar in intensity as P90X (which I've done 3 times in the past before going Primal).

So, this is what I'm wondering... I went Primal to reverse an insulin resistance problem after gaining 50 pounds in a relatively short period of time (yes. Even after doing programs like P90X), so, my CURRENT program is doing 3 days lower carb (60-80 grams of carb per day, higher fat) followed by a higher carb day (125-175 grams of carb, lower fat), etc. etc... on the low carb days I do about 1 hour of brisk walking, then on higher carb days I do a 20-25 HiiT workout followed by 20 minutes of intense strength training....

My primary goal is weight loss.

This has been working quite nicely so far. I've managed to lose 15 pounds in the last 1 1/2 months after being at a complete plateau for over a year. Well, not a plateau, but a 50 pound weight gain.

So, my question is... when I start doing the XTrain (similar to P90X) program, should I increase my carbs??? It is primarily a strength program...
    I'm hoping that over the next two months before I get started, that I will lose at least another 10 pounds... doing what I am doing right now.

*maybe I should just keep to what's working? lol*
    It's true. You are what you eat.
    http://fitchickskitchen.wordpress.com

just wanted to subscribe...

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Keep to what is working.
    If you need to increase carbs do so...your body will let you know soon enough.
    Move slow, lift heavy things sprint and play.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I think you are most likely correct. At least until I get my weight under control. Thanks!

PaleoAP is offline Member
    The P90X program and others like it are highly glycogen-dependent programs. You could tinker with different levels of carbohydrate intake, but I would be surprised if you could get away with having low-carb training days with such a program. At first it may work, but after awhile the lack of carbohydrate may affect your sleep or stall weight loss. Get some solid carbohydrate in PWO to minimize the adverse effects of cortisol and you'll be fine.

With that said, stick with what works. I've found less is more when training for weight loss.
    Alex Peterson-
    Nutritional Consultant
    Creator of The Whole Muscle Diet and the Whole Muscle Blog

www.wholemusclegains.com

The authority on nutrition for strength and lean mass gains without the use of supplements, meal-timing, or other unnecessary diet methods.

I think you guys are both right... I think I will stick to what works... what I may do is just use the two days per week right now and use them towards the intense workouts. So, my schedule will stay the same....

Thanks again!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Why are you bothering with a programme that's similar to P90X when that didn't seem to work for you before? Genuine question.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It actually worked great! I got into great shape. Then I started foolishly following Tosca Reno's "Eat Clean Diet", Eating 5-6 small meals per day seems to have caused insulin resistance in me. It took me the last year figure out it was eating this way that was causing the steady weight gain.
    I'm a calorie/macro counter so I know that was the cause. I am eating the same calories and carbs and losing quite nicely using a primal/warrior diet approach.
    June 9, 2009.jpg
    I've attached a pic of me after round 1 of P90X.