Thread: Lifting heavy things DOES WORK!!!! page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

Lifting heavy things DOES WORK!!!!

Primal Fuel
    I'm so excited! I measured this morning and I have lost several inches in the last two weeks since starting Les Mills Pump!! I'm getting stronger and stronger, I've increased my weights two times in the last two weeks. After being in a weight loss stall for SEVERAL MONTHS and doing cardio till I was blue in the face, I have finally figured it out.

So to anyone out there who is teetering, not sure if they should start lifting weights, DO IT! You have nothing but inches to lose, and strength and pride to gain!!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I does work! I'm happy for you.

Sadly, I've had to hang up the super heavy weights; perhaps permanently. The heavy lifting exacerbated some pelvic floor weakness (47yr old mom of 3) to the point where I cannot tolerate the weights any more. Frustrating, because it really does work! Now i have to see how much I can lift safely to still reap the benefits.

My butt had never been smaller.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I've heard that lifting heavy will help your pelvic floor, especially squats. I haven't had any children but I've been having some pelvic floor issues (sprinting is a horror to be done only on an extremely hot day so that it just looks like I'm very sweaty.) It's my hope the squats and other core-building lifts will help. Since the problem comes and goes based on god knows what, I have yet to know if it's been successful.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I've heard that lifting heavy will help your pelvic floor, especially squats. I haven't had any children but I've been having some pelvic floor issues (sprinting is a horror to be done only on an extremely hot day so that it just looks like I'm very sweaty.) It's my hope the squats and other core-building lifts will help. Since the problem comes and goes based on god knows what, I have yet to know if it's been successful.
    chronic coughing and heavy lifting will worsen my pelvic organ prolapse. That is what I've been told and what I've read. If I bear down it pushes the uterus further down the vagina since my ligaments have stretched and my pelvic floor muscles have weakened. Even a straining bowel movement causes problems, so I'm trying hard to keep my bowels regular. I'm trying kegel exercises to strengthen the anterior and posterior walls, but I don't think it can help the uterus.

With the pessary in I am good to run for now. It might get to the point where that no longer stays in place and surgery is my option. Not ready to go there. Some women don't have symptoms with prolapse, but my guess is they aren't very active. No way I could ignore this!

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Oh, I see. I didn't know you had pelvic organ prolapse. I just assumed you had the basic pelvic floor issue that we women get with age.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

If you have pelvic floor muscle weakness, you are at risk for developing a prolapse. Looking back on my symptoms (exercise induced leaking mostly) I've been dealing with this for a few years prior to the big collapse.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    I does work! I'm happy for you.

Sadly, I've had to hang up the super heavy weights; perhaps permanently. The heavy lifting exacerbated some pelvic floor weakness (47yr old mom of 3) to the point where I cannot tolerate the weights any more. Frustrating, because it really does work! Now i have to see how much I can lift safely to still reap the benefits.

My butt had never been smaller.
    The thing I like about Les Mills is that it doesn't really focus on "heavy lifting", but moreso lower weight and higher reps. Don't get me wrong, it's definately a great workout and a challenge, even if you only have 10 or 20 lbs on the barbell. Your muscles will be shaking by the end of it without having to strain to lift super heavy weights. And then you can move up in weight as needed or as you feel comfortable.

I used to dribble really bad after having my second set of twins. Coughing, laughing, jumping, jogging...everything made me dribble. Over the last year and a half I have gotten a lot stronger though, and it doesn't really happen anymore. Helps to make sure the bladder is empty before starting the workout though.