Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gluten-free/Primal cycling page

trikate is offline Junior Member

gluten-free/Primal cycling

I have been doing primal for about 6 weeks. In that time I GAINED weight (5 pounds) and clothes became tight, although I do admit I felt better overall. I am pretty much at a target weight and have a more muscular build (for a female) so I assumed the gain was muscle (unwanted, but oh well). I know I have a gluten senstivity. I have been tested for celiac but it was negative. I've been eating nearly gluten free anyway, even before primal. I have a difficult time staying to primal because of how much muscle I tend to pack easily when i eat that way. I don't want it! I have enough! Do you think cycling gluten free and primal would be beneficial? When i was eating GF things were fine. I was the weight I wanted to be, body fat was still low etc but eating primal upset all of that-even though, again, i felt awesome. I'd love to have that "awesome feeling" without the gain. I'm an elite endurance athlete and extra pounds means extra time on the clock. By cycling I'm thinking 2 days primal/1 day GF with that 7th day (when I have no workout) IFing? Thoughts?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    can you always be primal and gluten free... whaeres the difference in your diet when you are one way or the other?

Chunster495 is offline Member
    uh... for the most part, the primal diet is gluten free... with some exceptions that are on the sensible vices categories... such as beer or foods that could be cross contaminated,.. other than that, most foods on the primal list,... meats, fish, veg, nuts, fruits are all gluten free... not sure what type of foods you're eating that are primal that contain gluten that you would be cyling between the two... I think it's easier to eat gluten free than it is to eat primal... since there is no gluten in rice products...

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Primal *IS* gluten-free.

Are you talking about throwing in some days that are gluten free, but not necessarily primal? What foods would you add/change on those days?
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

I know primal is gluten free. I guess I should have been more specific. I eat rice and rice products on GF (non primal) days as well as oatmeal and milk. those are all things I wouldn't eat if I were strickly primal. I'm also not high fat on GF days since it is higher carb. I'm talking about cycling days like that with strictly primal.
    Last edited by trikate; 04-09-2010 at 03:35 PM.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I see -- so you're wanting to eat more carbs than most primals, using them to replace protein in the interest of minimizing your gains in muscle mass. Right?

Hmm...what about the other problems (antinutrients, etc) associated with non-gluten grains? If you're concerned about that, you could use primal carbs like sweet potatoes and winter squash instead. Another possiblity is keeping protein on the lower side of moderate, carbs low, and raising fat to meet energy needs.

I suspect that cycling high and low carb would keep you from fully adapting to a fat-burning metabolism. I'd think it would also contribute to the dangers of the SAD (arterial plaque, cancers, etc) that are bolstered by insulin release as a result of carb intake. As an athlete who burns off a lot of glycogen, you should be better off than most who eat high/relatively high carb, but there's still a tradeoff.

I don't know what's best from a muscle-gain avoidance perspective, but will watch to see what others say. Obviously, the equation isn't as simple as less protein intake = less muscle bulk...but how much of a factor is it?

Interesting question!
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

verdilak is offline Member
    Remember that you don't have to be 100%. How much sugar you wish to consume is up to you.
    Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Can you describe what your gluten-free diet looked like? Maybe we can primalize it up a little, then you can get the benefits of both and hopefully find a solution to the problem.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    Can't you just do a higher carb version of Primal? Just eat sweet potatoes every day, maybe rice as well as it seems to be the least harmful grain, but oats is not a good idea IMO. I have read it is almost always cross-contaminated with gluten.

I don't eat rice, but I eat sweet potatoes and lots of fruits almost every day and it's working well for me. I'm losing weight on it (I need to).
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Its not a lot different. I know it sounds backwards what I'm saying here...but its almost like when I eat "too clean" (primal) I gain a lot of muscle weight and it does effect my performance. I just feel "heavy" and not as agile. I don't even notice a loss of fat, just extra muscle and unwanted weight. When I throw in higher carb (not like sweet potatoes) like rice or oats I stay a consistant weight. I don't know why-but because its like that it makes me want to cycle to get the best of both worlds. I love primal for how I feel. I love GF (nonprimal GF) because it keeps me predictable.

I may not be giving it enough time too, and I know that. Six weeks may be too short but it worries me when I've gained 5-6 pounds in that time...worried it won't stop and I'm headed into my competitive season! Its one thing if clothes fit better cause of fat loss/muscle gain but they aren't.

typical day primal

B-2-3 eggs, 1T butter, mushrooms and spinach, coffee w/cream
    L-BAS w/chicken, avocado, some cranberries, walnuts (sometimes), other veggies, olive oil and balsamic OR leftover fish/veggies in butter from night before OR the same thing as breakfast
    snack-sometimes a spoon of almond butter w/apple or half an avocado mushed and put on celery or something. Sometimes nothing.
    D-chicken, meat, fish, pork cooked in oil etc. w/ grilled veggies brushed w/ olive oil
    S-berries or sometimes berries and cream or nothing.

Typical day gluten-free/non primal (if I did the same day)
    2-3eggs, 1T butter, veggies, coffee w/ nonfat milk and stevia or 1scoop whey powder in 1c oats and 2T flax
    L-BAS w/chicken, avocado, cranberries, walnuts, other veg, olive oil balsamic, 1/2 c rice w/parm cheese
    S- PB and banana,or greek yogurt w/honey and almonds, or apple and almond butter
    D-1c rice or a sweet potato, some sort of protein, grilled or stir fried veggies
    S100% Fruit sorbet or some nuts

-I've also had rice pasta in place of regular rice

One thing to add. Primal days my cals are not that high and i have trouble getting them any higher. I'm just not hungry. GF days appetite is more regulated because of the carbs I'm sure. I do not notice workouts suffering with either way of eating. I still have plenty of energy regardless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast