Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Presidential election, Union vs Confederacy? page 5

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    1. San Francisco as well.

2. No secession. There's about a dime's worth of difference between Obama and Romney. Both have to follow the dictates of capital and empire.

3. Lover, not a fighter.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    1. Where do you live?

Money, Texas

2. What are you sympathies, secession or not secession? If you have no strong inclination either way, where would you want to live if secession happened?

a) Democracy only has legitimacy in the context of free association. You can't form a group, force yourself on someone, and say, "we voted." b) Free association is only free if it is severable. c) Democracy ceases to be legitimate if you disallow secession. That said, I don't personally think it is a good choice for any US states today.

3. Do you feel its worth fighting over?

Absolutely. What's the quote? ""I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." I personally disapprove of secession, but if a state voted to leave the union and wasn't allowed to, I'd fight to help them. People have a right to make their own way in life even if their choices are dumb.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    To follow on, I am not an American, just an interested observer. I am really curious to see where everyone on MDA falls:

So, an informal poll:

1. Where do you live?
    2. What are you sympathies, secession or not secession? If you have no strong inclination either way, where would you want to live if secession happened?
    3. Do you feel its worth fighting over?
    1. NO, LA. (By way of OR, WA, NJ, OH, FL, CA, and NY.)

2. I think it's a pipe dream. I want to live anywhere I can dance in the streets, smoke an occasional cigar or doob in a bar, and flip the bird to whomever/whatever I want without fear of arrest.

3. Maybe, but I'm old, and I'm not much into fighting. But if you're talking about working off the grid, living as much off the grid as possible, supporting only those institutions/businesses you find congruent with your beliefs, I very much support that kind of fighting.

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    1. I live in Fredericksburg, Virginia.

2. I believe that secession is a basic human right; without it, there can be no escape from tyranny. A couple of subsidiary points about that:

a. My belief has nothing to do with Obama, Romney, Bush, or any other political parasite. As set forth in America's statement of secession from Great Britain, aka the Declaration of Independence, people have a natural right to leave a government that is not acting in their interests.

b. I don't think the time is right for secession by any of the states. Indeed, I believe secession will be unnecessary: the American empire is crumbling before our eyes and DC will eventually lose its ability to govern, just as Moscow did when the Soviet Union fell apart.

3. If by "fighting over" it, you mean picking up my musket and going after the bad guys from DC, then no, I don't think it's worth fighting over. As I said above, the country is going to come crashing down anyway. If you mean physically defending my person, my family, and my property in the event of some social upheaval that might include secession by some states, then hell yes.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345