Thread: Cooking vegetables page

SJW2 is offline Member

Cooking vegetables

Shop Now
    So I prefer to roast my vegetables, usually with olive oil - makes them quite delicious.

What are the pros and cons to this and other ways of cooking vegetables?

My main concerns are that roasting the vegetables increases glycemic load possibly - if anyone knows if it does, let me know and how much it does - and the use of olive oil for high temperature cooking. I'm wondering if it makes the PUFAs go rancid and thus bad for health? If it is bad, what is the best way to cook them that also imparts flavor?

I was totally clueless about cooking before going primal, and now know much more, but still have much to learn.

Thanks in advance!

Fitness Wayne is offline Senior Member
    I typically cook my vegetables in a pan in either coconut oil or ghee. Both are pretty stable at high temperatures.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitness Wayne View Post
    I typically cook my vegetables in a pan in either coconut oil or ghee. Both are pretty stable at high temperatures.
    Yup.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Bacon grease + Veggies = Winning
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

peril is offline Senior Member
    You can dry roast if worried about the oil or use saturated fats that are more heat tolerant
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    Bacon grease + Veggies = Winning
    ^this.

Coconut oil is good as well
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Your way of roasting is just fine. Excellent in fact. For me though I cook very fatty meat over my veggies so that the veggies soak up all the yummy. Like tonight I have a pound of 75/25 ground beef that I'll cook in a skillet with a pound of mixed veggies and a half can of tomato sauce....some garlic, onion, and Italian seasoning to round it all out. The fats already in the meat so no need to add oils or butter. Thats dinner.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJW2 View Post

My main concerns are that roasting the vegetables increases glycemic load possibly - if anyone knows if it does, let me know and how much it does -
    They are veggies. With the exception of tubers (potato, sweet potato, yams, etc) this doesn't really matter for the vast majority of people.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Glycemic load with vegetables is essentially irrelevant. There is so little carbs in them anyway, and thats implying that GI/GL means anything anyway.