Thread: I love Mango pickle, how to make primal page

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

I used to eat Mango pickle on meats years ago and now that I am eating primal, its no longer in my diet. My understanding is that since its a packaged food product I am just staying away from it. I dug up a recipe to make it and I am going to try it but the first ingredient is a big ole problem. Can someone suggest an alternative?

2c Canola or Corn oil (BOO!)

4 unripe green magoes cubed with skins

2T cumin

2T corriander seeds

2T mustard seeds

2T black peppercorns

2T fenugreek

2T red chillies

2T k Salt

2T tumeric

sprinkle salt on mangos in a nonreactive bowl. Let sit overnight in dark area.

Next morning, pour off the water. Set aside. Heat oil to near boiling (again need an alternative oil here), let cool to 120deg. Grind all spices in spice mill or pestle. Add spices to oil. Pour over mangoes when oil temps are less than 100degF. Pour in mason jar and leave in sunny window for 20 days. Refrigerate after usage.

Any ideas? My first thought was coconut, but then not sure if the flavor would be ok. Mustard Seed Oil?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

Could you just use light olive oil? It has less of an olivey flavor than extra-virgin olive oil, so it might work...

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

maba is offline Senior Member

Daniel, I'm from India and these pickles were traditionally made from unrefined sesame oil. Even before I knew the harmful effects of refined oils, I stuck to sesame oil for pickles for the flavor.