Thread: Warrior Diet...weight gain? page

Jada is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Warrior Diet...weight gain?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hello, I am a 19 year old active female. I've been doing a lazy version of the Warrior Diet in which I only eat at night. I try to keep it between 6PM and 10PM. I eat pretty healthy, usually a big meal of rice, steamed veggies, and meat or fish followed by a dessert and maybe a small snack later. I started the diet because I gained the dreaded freshman 15, going from 130 to 145. I've been doing the diet for about 2 weeks now and I feel great. I concentrate a lot better in school, I feel more motivated, I'm spending less on food, and I'm looking thinner. My stomach has gotten flatter and I've been getting many comments on my supposed weight loss. However, I stepped on the scale the other day and I'm up to 152! I don't usually pay much attention to numbers as long as I'm feeling good but it is a little concerning. I've had hormone imbalances in the past (which I fixed with diet and exercise) that I do not want to return. I'm active, my weekly workouts usually consist of 20 minute workouts with a 15 pound kettlebell 2-3 times a week and an hour and a half of Quidditch practice (which is like a mix between soccer, rugby, and dodgeball) twice a week but I don't feel like I'm active enough to have gained a significant amount of muscle. I should also mention that there were days here and there where I completely shirked the diet and just ate normally all day. Do you think my body is adjusting to the diet or something? What is going on?

I greatly appreciate anyone who read through this rant of mine and I hope to get some answers. Thanks
    Last edited by Jada; 11-06-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Trust the clothes and the tapemeasure
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    You don't necessarily have to be active to gain muscle. If your hormonal environment indicates to your muscle cells that they should grow, and you are getting sufficient protein in your body to accomplish that growth, then you gain muscle. This could be in response to exercise or not--but dietary and other lifestyle changes are more than capable of causing it all on their own, without resistance training at all. If your clothes are fitting better and you are getting positive comments from people regarding your change in appearance, it sounds like this is what's going on. Gaining muscular weight while getting leaner is the holy grail of fat loss, so by the FSM's noodly appendage stop worrying about it and enjoy it while you can, because it probably won't last.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jada View Post
    I try to keep it between 6PM and 10PM. I eat pretty healthy, usually a big meal of rice, steamed veggies, and meat or fish followed by a dessert and maybe a small snack later.
    This may not be helpful, but that's how I eat to gain weight.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

jakey is offline Senior Member
    7 lbs in that time frame likely has more to do with water retention or frequency of bowel movements than muscle gain.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    7 lbs in that time frame likely has more to do with water retention or frequency of bowel movements than muscle gain.
    Oh, 2 weeks. I didn't read carefully enough. Yeah, no way you've gained or lost 7 lbs of fat or muscle in that time.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Damn, I missed that too.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

SJW2 is offline Member
    I agree it's probably water related. Doesn't quite make sense otherwise. Perhaps some fat loss, some slight muscle gain, and plenty of water gain. Seems like a slightly unusual result, but that's the best I can make sense of it.

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    Hey there... women naturally fluctuate between 2 and 7lb a week anyway due to hormonal stuff. I wouldn't worry about it. A number on the scale is in no way reflective of what you look like and how you fit into your clothes. At my thinnest and fittest, my scale is always heavy but I look hot in my jeans.
    The scale is evil and must be punished. Just keep going and ignore it.