Thread: "failed log in attempts" (possible DOS attacks on MDA?) page

Nickname is offline Junior Member

"failed log in attempts" (possible DOS attacks on MDA?)

Primal Fuel
    On two separate occasions over the past 24 hours someone has tried to log-in to my account and failed. Is anyone else experiencing this? (I don't see any threads about it, in any event)

I did send a quick email to Mark, and I'm going to change my password to something ridiculously complicated and hope for the best, but the last time I got a message like this was in February and it turned out that MDA was undergoing DOS attacks.

Just wanted to give folks here a heads up.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    How would someone as ditsy as me - even know?
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Grok is offline Senior Member
    My password is ridiculously complicated, although I noticed now that I'm always logged in and it doesn't log me out over a period of time like it used to, so be sure to log out if you are at an internet cafe or something.

This page[1] will generate ridiculously complicated passwords for you.

I'm also curious, how do you know if someone is trying to log into your account?

[1] MSD Services | APGOnline

Nickname is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grok View Post
    I'm also curious, how do you know if someone is trying to log into your account?
    Hi Grok,

I get email alerts each time someone tries and fails to log in. In fact, I just got another one :| This is what comes to my inbox:

Dear Nickname,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Mark's Daily Apple Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 183.14.245.122

And NZ primal Gwamma, to answer your question, I guess the only way to know is if you get a similar email alert. If you haven't gotten any alerts I imagine you're fine.

But the last time this happened, within a few days or so of receiving the alerts, Mark announced that the site had had a DOS attack and everyone was scrambling to reset their passwords. I felt bad last time for not saying something earlier.

Thanks for the link, Grok. I'm armed with a crazy-complicated password now and if there is a security issue with the website itself, hopefully someone is on top of it.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I just don't GET why someone would want to log into someones elses MDA account. What could they possibly want to do on this forum ?
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    It's a chinese IP address: Guangzhou, Mainland China.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%