Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alice Eats (and lifts weights, and walks, but mostly eats and plays). page

Kochin is offline Senior Member

Alice Eats (and lifts weights, and walks, but mostly eats and plays).

Shop Now
    OK, I'm not "true" PB, or "true" anything, really.
    I've been tweaking my diet and messing around with it, to "optimize" it, even on my VERY low budget. I also exercise in a rather random way: I lift weights when I feel "the urge", pace and walk a lot, do random body-weight exercises when waiting for stuff... basically I'm rarely still!

I have decided to write a daily overview of my health, along with notes on changes I'm making to my diet and exercise, et cetera, et cetera, so as to see how Lacto-Paleo can be optimized for a student on a VERY limited budget.

I'm in my 4th month.
    Here's some notes I've made so far:

"Alice goes Paleo.

Pre-Paleo:

Typical diet over 2 days:

Non-school day:
    -Breakfast: scrambled eggs, sausages and fried tomato with orange-juice. Fried in sunflower or vegetable oil.
    -Snack: banana.
    -Lunch: Two sandwiches: ham and cheese and tuna and lettuce. Wholegrain bread, unbuttered. Juice.
    -Snack: 2 cookies. Coffee with milk and sweetener.
    -Dinner: Pasta with veggies (potato, tomato, mushroom, courgette, onion, garlic). Some added oil. Some added salt. No added sugar. Not made from a jar!
    Pre-bed green tea. No sugar, milk or sweeteners.

School day:
    -Breakfast: oats with yoghurt and a piece of fruit. Coffee.
    -Snack: caffeine-high energy drink (full sugar). An apple.
    -School-lunch: lasagne with salad and tuna on the side. Three slices of unbuttered brown bread.
    -Snack once home: pate and mustard sandwich on wholemeal bread.
    -Dinner: chicken curry with brown rice. Apple for pudding.
    Pre-bed camomile tea. No sugar, milk or sweeteners.

Notes:
    -This was what I had to eat to feel full and energized. No meal or snack could be removed or reduced without making me unfocused or lethargic.
    -I ate roughly every 3-4 hours, had an energy spike afterwards, which gradually declined from then. I used caffeine to keep me focused and alert.
    -I would have a treat like those two cookies or some chocolate pudding roughly 3 days a week.
    -My diet was high in caffeine, but, at the time, I was working on quitting energy drinks.
    -I would typically eat grains, legumes or white potatoes with 2 out of 3 daily main-meals.
    -I felt a duty to have said 3 meals, but guilty about snacking.
    -About 80% of my grain-based foods were wholemeal, if not containing whole grains. (Previously, I had been on a diet where I had grain, legumes or potatoes with every meal and 50% of grains were processed white grains. I was a size 16, overweight, continually hungry and largely inactive. I also has very frequent headaches and panic attacks.)
    -My fat intake was VERY low.
    -I worried about how much fat/calories were going in and tried to be “good” by limiting them, which was sort of stressful/annoying.

Health:
    -Mild acne that got MUCH worse when stressed
    -Hair that got greasy and dandruffy if unwashed for over a day and a half.
    -Weak nails

-IQ varies between 128 and 132. Falls as low as 115 when tired or lethargic.

-Body fat percentage: about 23
    -BMI: 26.7
    -WHR: 0.72-0.75
    -Continually trying to cut back calories and fats to “compensate” for poor choices earlier in the day

-Occasionally energetic for endurance things, but mostly lazy

-Intermittent dieter
    -Long history of (recently defeated) body-image problems and “yo-yoing weight”
    -Poor appetite control, due to the last two points
    -Continual feeling of mild “hunger” in the back of my mind and intense sugar cravings

-Very strong bones
    -Good teeth, no dental problems apart from sensitivity
    -Strong, thick, not very well defined muscles
    -Last blood test came back as very healthy, but slightly vitamin D deficient

-Frequent headaches

-Mild lactose intolerance, only displays when I have homogenized cow's milk in any amount

Exercise:
    -Plenty of walking, usually with a 3-4 mile walk a week
    -Body-weight exercises such as sit-ups, squats, etc, with long-ish breaks
    -Carrying bags and books everywhere
    -Playing with dumbells a bit, but nothing serious

-Not enough energy for many other activities, such as playing with kids in the family, serious or frequent use of dumbells, sprinting...

Month 1:

Change in eating philosophy:
    “In order to be fully healthy, I'd like to eliminate modern foods and eating habits, going almost entirely Paleo apart from dairy products.
    I'll eat only when hungry, not touch grains, legumes, potatoes or refined sugars and practise intermittent fasting.”

-Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, 97% sausages and mushrooms fried in butter. Tea.
    -Lunch: Lamb's liver fried in butter with onion and mushrooms. A banana for pudding.
    -Snack: Two handfuls of nuts.
    -Dinner: Two grilled pork fillets. Strawberries for pudding.
    Pre-bed plain tea.

-Breakfast: skipped, not hungry.
    -Late lunch: stir-“fried” beef, sealed in a dry pan with spring onions, mushrooms, courgette, onion, cabbage and spinach. Orange for pudding.
    -Dinner: grilled chicken-thighs with herbs and little added salt. Had with sliced tomatoes.
    -Snack: a grapefruit.
    Pre-bed plain green tea.

Notes:
    -Very high in meats (they would be about 1/3 of my plate and I'd have them with every meal).
    -Higher in fats, but not all that much higher.
    -High in fruits and other naturally sugary foods.
    -No grains, legumes or any sort of potato.
    -No added sugar, not much added salt, general avoidance of hydrogenated vegetable oils.
    -Felt full quicker and, whilst I never got the “boost” sugar and starches give, my energy lasted longer.
    -Fasted three times over 4 weeks: two 36 hour fasts and one 24 hour one. I did not feel the urge to binge afterwards, in fact, I ate quite normally.
    -Broke it a few times: had ice-cream once (horribly lethargic afterward) and added sugar to a few teas. Felt terrible after that too.
    -The odd bit of dark chocolate seems to do no harm, but I only have a square when I have any, and it's, at worst, once a week!

Health:
    -Acne is lower. Even when stressed, I had less acne than I had before when I was NOT stressed.
    -Hair stays clean for up to three days. Dandruff's still there.
    -Nails are moderately stronger. Not massively, but no longer brittle.

-IQ regularly scores in the “over 130” category. Not been lethargic or tired enough to test how low it goes then.

-Body fat percentage has dropped, though the exact amount varies depending on the test. 20-22% is a safe estimate.
    -BMI: 26.5
    -WHR: 0.70
    -I don't count calories or reject fats, I just have to make sure the food has no more than 0.5% added sugar, no starches, no modified syrups and no grains.
    -Continual “hungry” feeling is almost gone! Especially low after a fast.

-Energy levels are more balanced, they never have “sugar peaks”, but they never drop too low either. Energetic overall.

-Appetite control is better after fasting

-Bones still the same
    -Teeth mildly less sensitive
    -Muscles still the same
    -No longer taking vitamin D supplements

-Headaches gone

-Still have a mild intolerance to milk

Exercise:
    -Overall, my exercise regime has changed VERY little, with most of these changes being recent, as I finally have enough energy to actually do them! Most of the health benefits came before any increase in exercise.
    -Walking for longer, with a weight on my back, with less problems
    -Rests between body-weight exercises are lower
    -More energy means I'm doing a lot of “random” exercise and still waking up happy the next day
    -Doing a few different exercises with dumbells and kettle-bells now that I have the energy

Month 2&3:

How the psychology changed:
    “I shall still eat no grains, no white potatoes and no legumes.
    I shall not eat anything else that wasn't around in the past 100 years.
    I shall restrict anything else that wasn't around in any quantity 30 000 years ago.
    I shall reduce high GI foods in general, even fruits and nuts, swapping them for more vegetables, making plants a larger portion of my diet overall.
    I shall eat sweet potatoes, yams and tapioca.
    I shall eat some vegetables raw.
    I shall eat more organ meats and allow for tinned fish in brine and in olive-oil. I shall eat more natural fats.
    I shall allow an occasional amount of tapioca and bean starches in my food, but keep it very limited.”

Breakfast: two butter-fried eggs with 100g of pate (tapioca starch, VERY low salt, 48% fat).
    Lunch: two slices of melon with 300g of cottage cheese.
    Snack: a small handful of nuts.
    Dinner: 100g of mushroom and pork pate, two slices of raw onion, a small slice of brie, a spoonful of pickled beetroot and raddish. An apple and five dried dates.
    Plain tea.

Breakfast: a grapefruit. A glass of 6% fat, unhomogenized milk with added cream to push to 10% fat.
    Plain decaff coffee.
    Lunch: skipped.
    Snack: a handful of grilled chicken “bites” (including fat and skin!) and a quarter of a raw courgette.
    Dinner: salad with lettuce, onion, walnuts, a small amount of cheese and some sardines in olive-oil on the side.
    Green tea.

Notes:
    Couldn't stick to the fruit side of it, although I'm eating more veggies and eating raw veggies more often.
    Had some “off” occasions, but feel better than before when on this diet and recovering from off-days/meals faster (though that doesn't excuse them!).
    Less hungry. Eating 1500-1800kcal/day, but putting on muscle, so there must be a surplus.
    Stopped intermittent fasting to see if it regulated my body's cycles a bit more.

Health:
    -Acne goes up and down with hormonal cycle, though still far lower than previously.
    -Hair still has dandruff, no grease.
    -Nails still stronger. Harder at the root, so they may get EVEN STRONGER soon.

-IQ regularly scores in the “over 130” category. Still not been lethargic or tired enough to test how low it goes then.

-Body fat percentage still about 20%.
    -BMI: 26.5. Weight's gone down a little, but not significantly.
    -WHR: 0.70
    -I don't count calories or reject fats, I just have to make sure the food has no more than 0.5% added sugar, no starches, no modified syrups and no grains.
    -Little continual hunger. Snack on nuts to ease any cravings.

-Still energetic, even though I'm eating far fewer kcal.

-Not fasting any more, hunger still lurks, but my body's cycles are more balanced and I feel calmer and happier in myself.

-Bones still the same
    -Teeth less sensitive again
    -Muscles getting thicker
    -No longer taking vitamin D supplements, getting plenty of sunlight. Feel awake and happy.

-Get dehydration headaches. Having fish or olive-oil or some butter with my water/tea speeds up recovery. These headaches seem more due to forgetting to drink (I rarely drink when it isn't warm) more than anything else.
    -Started waking automatically at 7:30am. Threw it off with a night out when I over-indulged on sugars, but starting to re-stabilize again.

-Drinking milk is a bit easier now I know that only homogenized milk causes my problems and am also aware of how much milk I'm good with.

Exercise:
    -I walk at least an hour a day.
    -I “play” with my kettle-bells (12kg) and dumbbells (4kg) whenever the mood hits me.
    -I stretch, sprint, climb and pace whenever I feel like it.
    -I do incline push-ups, bw squats, goblet squats, steps and tricep dips when waiting for anything."

So, that's where I'm starting from.

I think the most interesting thing is that I came from a CW "healthy" diet (where I was tolerably healthy) and made myself healthiER through ommitting grains, legumes and artificial products.

I guess my body must REALLY be suffering the loss of whole-grains, even though it shows no signs at all. Must be "stealth illness", you know, the type you can't detect at all.

Recent notes:
    -Started having more butter. Eating it pure and blending it into my coffees and milkshakes.
    -EVEN more offal and adding some game-meat, as it's available.
    -Drinking lots of tea and herbal brews.
    -Forcing my body to go out and get at least a bit cold, to keep it prepared for anything.

Update: had slightly more dairy (whilst I don't intentionally restrict it, I like to keep an eye on it) and more caffeine these past two days. This, however, hasn't slowed my recovery from the sugar crash and I'm back to rising with the sun.

Eating more planned-out meals as I'm staying at my love's house and he --being at work-- is eating around a semi-fixed time-table. This doesn't seem much of a problem, as I just have butter, tea or fruit when I feel hungry and it isn't near a meal. Over the weekend I ought to fall back into "natural".

Watching little to no TV (per usual) and spending less time online as I'm reading more. (Un)surprisingly, I feel better in myself.
    Also tried some barefoot walks with the dogs. Earth, mud and grass is fine, but grainy, gritty tarmack isn't so nice. The cold barely affects my feet, but I DO feel it in the evening walks.

All's good, though.

PS: You know that inner-thigh fat that few women manage to lose much of? That stuff that even healthy girls keep a lump of? Some of mine's disappearing and the muscles are getting stronger! Must be goblet-esque squats and all this running up and down stairs!

I doubt it'll ALL go -- and I don't really want it to, around 20% body-fat is necessary to keep my hormonal system functioning well and I don't want to mess with it. But, still, some of it going is nice. My jeans are a bit looser at the thigh now!

Threw off my sleep pattern yesterday. It came back today. Feel happy with how in-tune my body is with its environment.

I've had quite a bit of fruit today, including two kakis. Yum! I also rediscovered bubble and squeak. It seems to be one of the true "comfort foods" I can still have. Not that I miss the others, but I DO miss the feeling I get from eating my comfort foods, so I'm hapy to have something that gives me that WITHOUT straying from my diet.

PS: Don't you HATE it when supermarkets label something as "plain chocolate" when it's only 45%? What's with that?! Plain and dark chocolate are NOT the same thing. Not last time I checked. :/

I DEFINITELY have a "food cut-off point" that seems to be based on a kcal limit. All I've had today is a kaki, 300ml double cream and two squares of dark chocolate. It actually adds up to 1400kcal. And I don't feel hungry. Not only that, the idea of eating more makes me feel almost unwell.

Will try and get more food in later, but I'm glad I now know to what extent my appetite's still screwing with my body. Time for a kcal boost, methinks!

Went for a barefoot walk today. Initially intended just to go barefoot in the park (my "foot leather" isn't quite there yet), but I took them off 5 mins in. Only put them back on again after a sit down in a tree-crook to read left my feet a bit cold, so I wore the shoes for 5 more mins to warm the feet up again (they get oddly sensitive when cold or damp).
    IMG0535A.jpg
    Also had an... "interesting" conversation re: barefootedness. At least they didn't nag about arch support. ;¬¬

Had a lot of fruit and veg today, plenty of fats too. My fruit smoothie became a fruit salad when I realised how high the sugar spike would be if I DRANK all that sugar. I know it isn't as bad as juicing, but I need a bit of focus.

PS: Need to build my upper-body. Not being able to haul myself onto a tree isn't exactly "good", regardless of arm and leg strength.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast