Thread: protein carb mix page

ajb0203 is offline Junior Member

Question protein carb mix

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone, I'm new here & new to primal. I was looking at the "How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint" page (How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple) and had some questions about the protein/carb mix.

This page says 0.7-1 g lean protein/pound lean muscle mass per day.
    It also says 50-100 g carbs/day for weight loss or 100-150 g/day for maintenance.

I am a 120 lb female, with bf% probably around 20%. I was 16%-17% in May, but I think I've probably gone back up some since I haven't been working out with weights at all, although my weight is the same.

Anyway, for discussion purposes let's say my lean mass is a nice round number - 100 lbs.

So, my protein intake would be 100g and my carb intake would be around 100g too? (I'm not really trying to lose weight. I like that my weight really never changes. It makes it easy to buy pants.)

That seems a little high on the carb ratio to me for a primal diet. What am I missing?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajb0203 View Post

That seems a little high on the carb ratio to me for a primal diet. What am I missing?

Thanks
    you're missing the fact that paleo/primal is NOT a low carb diet. if you don't have weight to lose or if you are really active, then you shouldn't be restricting your carbs

didn't mean to offend with my ignorance - sorry - i'll go away now

wasn't trying to be mean. sorry it came across that way. i think the majority of the people who flock to a book/site like mark's daily apple are here to lose weight. so for those people, the carb curve seems like the holy grail of weight loss. for people who just want to be healthier or people who are really active, the carb curve is not really anything to think about. eliminate grains, refined oils, processed foods, eat whole natural foods, and you'll be well on your way to better health

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Primal eating tends to be lower carb than the typical non-primal way of eating only because you're ditching the breakfast cereals, bagels, bread, pasta etc. Eat all the vegetables you want and have some fruit. If it doesn't turn out to be low carb that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    for people who just want to be healthier or people who are really active, the carb curve is not really anything to think about. eliminate grains, refined oils, processed foods, eat whole natural foods, and you'll be well on your way to better health
    That's why I'm here. I have always eaten a lot of junk and wanted to cut down on sugar and wheat specifically. There are so many frameworks in which to do that, that it seems difficult to pick one. I have previously filled the carb needs with what's now called junk, and to fill that with fruit or potatoes seems like a big leap in the amount of food I will eat. I already typically ate a spinach salad with dressing, nuts, and cauliflower with an apple at lunch, but that only gets me a quarter of the way there. I was into the sugary, wheat-y carbs, but I'd much rather have meat, dairy, or eggs (preferred tastes, I mean) than fruit.

I figure I probably won't be counting grams of anything, but I like to know the big picture of what an ideal day would look like so I at least know that I'm following the recommendations or am on my own plan.

(also - so there's no confusion - I eat more than just that at lunch, that's just what's left when you take away the processed carbs I used to eat and the tuna/egg/yogurt/chees that I used to and continue to eat.)

you sound like you're well on your way then. personally, i don't cound/weigh/measure anything. i eat plenty of meat and veggies, a serving of fruit once a day, and a bunch of potatoes/sweet potatoes and white rice. i try to eat the starchy stuff after a workout. thats about it. heck, i eat some high quality ice cream once a week too. i mean, you have to live life too, ya know?

Miss Understood is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What you may not be thinking about is that more of your calories can be coming from fat to replace carbs you used to eat. Coconut oil, avocado, fattier cuts of meat, butter and cheese if dairy agrees with you. We make our own low sugar ice cream with heavy cream and raw eggs.