Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chronic carido page 2

solobiker is online now Member
    Thanks again for all of your input. And yes...I am trying to lose fat. I enjoy the satisfaction I recieve after a long endurance type of activity. I would love to increase my areobic capacity. I think I will focus on intervals which may help me achieve my goals.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoAP View Post
    I would argue if you're simply looking to improve or maintain your aerobic capacity, HIIT training is more beneficial than endurance training both in terms of improving aerobic capacity, building muscle mass, and being mindful of health and longevity.
    I agree.

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solobiker View Post
    I am having such a hard time giving up my "chronic cardio". Form many, many years I have ran, biked, hiked, or cross-country skied daily (on the weekends it is normal for me to be out for 4-7 hours moving most of the time). I have been trying to cut back on the cardio which is very hard for me and trying to focus on resistance type of acitivites. I have read MDA and have a understanding why it is not the best...I am just nervous that I will not have the endurance I have now if I cut back on it. It also does not "feel" normal to me to not do something carido daily with gettting my HR up and moving. Granted it does get moving with weight lifting. I guess I just needed to vent or look for some ideas on how to overcome this. I was following PB for 3 months in the summer, hit a small bump in the road and now I am back at it. During those 3 months I did not lose any weight or any inches. Hmmmmm
    I don't think I could say I have even been as hard core as you are but I've been a runner for about 32 years and am having the same kind of issue. I have never been really fast or competitive, I just liked it. I am trying to get on board with the Maffetone kind of thing but it just kinda depresses me. So I have taken up walking 3 times a week during lunch for an hour and trying to sprint once a week and work on the primal movements (come on pull up!). If I feel like going for a run I'm just going to do it the way I'm used to it and enjoy it. I'm really only out for like 30-40 minutes at a time now anyway. I started PB on Oct 1, 2012 140lbs and basically have bumbled up and down between 138-140 this whole time, at 5'7". But today I had to go buy the next smaller sized pants because my old ones are hanging off me. So SOMETHING is happening for the good. I'm forcing myself to learn it's not all about the scale...
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Well...today instead of going on my "normal" run or bike ride I went for a walk and did several ( 12-15 ) 30 second sprints. All I can say is Wow!! It felt great and I feel like I got an awesome workout. Plus it was pretty fun as it broke me out of my habit of my standard pace. I am tryiing very hard to get away from the scale because it does not protray health or wellness.

Thanks again for all of the advice. I

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Do you feel like a flailing raving goof while sprinting? After all these years of running my muscles clearly don't remember sprinting AT ALL. But I'm gonna get better at it damnit!
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

LOL yes I did. I am not used to turning my legs over that fast. Kind of felt silly but I did my best. I hope to do this 1x/week. I will plan like you to get better at it!! :-)

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for your reply temmey. I have always been a cardio nut. Gosh...just a fe years back my husband and I used to be big into climbing and just about every weekend we would be at the trail head no later then 2am with loaded back packs each to do a climb that involved several miles of hiking and several pitches of climbing and would not get back to the car until close to 4pm. Give me my cardio!! :-) I love to see how far I can push myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12