Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seeking advice from anyone who has had surgery to remove skin after weight loss page

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

seeking advice from anyone who has had surgery to remove skin after weight loss

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So wanted to see if anyone has had surgery to remove excess skin after weight loss.

I've lost about 120 pounds, from 270 to 155. See:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5478

and I've got quite a bit of loose skin left now, as you can see below:

I've seen a couple of surgeons and they have said its mostly skin there and will need to have it cut off if I ever want to get rid of it.

So was wanting to find out from folks that have had this done what the experience was like for you? Has anyone had this much skin and it tightened up on its own eventually? I'm told you can't really exercise it away.

I know it is pure vanity, but really does bother me right now. I'm almost thinking it looks worse all loose like that than being a bit chubby. Any advice from folks that have had this done would be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KestrelSF; 04-09-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: images

Lolly is offline Member
    i had a tummy tuck to remove loose skin from pregnancies. no amount of exercise would make it better. in fact, the fitter i became, the more the skin sagged because there was less frame to support it. i would advise you to be very close to goal weight when you do this type of surgery and the recovery can be painful/difficult but i feel it was totally worth it.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Kestrel, I hope to have this problem some day..................... <grin>

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    I worked for a plastic surgeon as an assistant for a while back when I thought I wanted to be an MD. You're right that there's not really any amount of exercise that's going to get rid of that much extra skin. The good news: tummy tucks are a high satisfaction rate surgery for people who have lost lots of weight. Any good plastic surgeon will be willing to show you pictures of his work. Look for minimal bleeding under the skin in the post-op picture (tummy tucks should not breach many blood vessels and a meticulous surgeon will cauterize them as he works), and a narrow, flat, lightly-colored scar (assuming the patient is white; I'm afraid I didn't work with very many dark-skinned patients, so I don't know what to tell you there) at the hips and a very minimal scar at the belly button in the 'after' picture. Pay attention to symmetry as well.

Don't be afraid to shop around, but pay for quality. Good luck!
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

eperdu is offline Junior Member
    I have seen the work of Dr. Berkowitz who is located in Campbell, he has done a lot of post-weight loss surgery reconstructive work. You haven't had WLS but his experience is good. His staff is very friendly and helpful and if I were to have any reconstructive work I would have him high on my list. I personally have eliminated over 140 pounds over the last year and a half and know what it's like to have loose skin. It's not vanity to want it removed. How we look contributes to how we feel and view ourselves and we all want a healthy self-esteem. If having this extra skin devalues the work you've done to lose the weight then it's unhealthy for you as you've done something amazing and should be proud of it and yourself. Loose skin may not seem like "a big deal" but it can be a huge thing. I have what I call my shar-pei thighs. My stomach isn't bad but my thighs are rather funny looking. They don't bother me enough at this point to do something like a lower body lift, particularly since gravity isn't kind to them but it's something I think about. I personally feel at war with myself sometimes because I *know* how great I've done but yet I have these shar-pei thighs that detract (in my eyes) from my success. I usually look at them as a badge of honor but sometimes .. it's hard to do that.

Hope this helps!

~Tracey

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the input folks! I will most likely use the surgeon who removed my gallbladder and part of my pancreas 2 years ago. She is a Vascular and General surgeon. I have a hernia that I never knew I had until I lost weight from where she took out the gallbladder. She said she would do the skin removal at the same time.

@eperdu - I'm afraid I have shar-pei ass too! Maybe if the tummy part goes well I'll consider having that done too!

Hah! We won't get into the subject of my ass .. or what used to be my ass. It's a bit flat now. Women luckily can buy padded ass underwear though so .. no seriously we can though I don't own any!

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've been wanting to have it done as well. I have been using my blog, SCOBY sales and donations to raise the money. You're very brave to post photos. I hide mine behind strategic clothing- lol.

Another thing to bear in mind, SOME insurances will cover plastics if it is determined that it impedes your life. Some have it done for health reasons (the excess skin chafing, causes infections under the fold,etc), some get it for impeding social interaction and personal relationships being hindered / self-esteem issues, and so on. I think it's worth looking into as well.

Lolly is offline Member
    Can he or she work in conjunction with a plastic surgeon? either that or consider a plastic surgeon who specializes in post weight loss procedures because i have seen the work of general surgeons and the work of plastic surgeons and a general surgeon does not come close to a plastic surgeon in their ability to create the smallest, finest scars possible. that is a plastic surgeons specialization, the general surgeon doesn't obsess as much over the long-term appearance of the scarring. and a board certified plastic surgeon of course

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast