Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: seeking advice from anyone who has had surgery to remove skin after weight loss page 2

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Well, the general surgeon said that she would do the excess skin removal at no extra cost, the plastic surgeon will want at least $1000 on top of what insurance pays for the hernia operation. I credit the general surgeon with saving my life when I was brought into hospital with pancreatic cysts. I have a lot of admiration for her skills as well as her dedication to patients. If she says she'll do it, I wouldn't feel right going to someone else.

One other issue is that although the procedure is extremely 'routine' ... so was my gallstone operation, the one that triggered my pancreas blowing apart and almost killing me. I'd feel a lot better knowing she was doing it.

PS, hope no one was too put off by the "oh god, look at that gross belly" pics!

goldielocks is offline Junior Member

Update?

Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    Thanks for the input folks! I will most likely use the surgeon who removed my gallbladder and part of my pancreas 2 years ago. She is a Vascular and General surgeon. I have a hernia that I never knew I had until I lost weight from where she took out the gallbladder. She said she would do the skin removal at the same time.

@eperdu - I'm afraid I have shar-pei ass too! Maybe if the tummy part goes well I'll consider having that done too!
    Hi!
    I came across your post and was wondering if you decided to proceed with the surgery? Did you end up using your general surgeon? If so, how happy were you with the results?

Thanks!

Goldie

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Kestrel, I'd normally ask how old you are because young skin bounces back better than old skin (mostly), but if it's only $1000 out of pocket, more power to you. Get 'er done.

And no, what you posted isn't gross, it's brave and honest. Not a lot of that going on these days, so kudos to you.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

What you posted wasn't gross at all. It gave me a lot of hope. I've seen much much worse. I'll be happy if I look something like your stomach when I'm done losing weight. Also, it looks like you don't need a Tummy tuck (which involves the muscles) but just a pannilectomy - just remove the extra pannus. I think its fine to do it with a general surgeon particularly if you are getting a good deal. Plus he is cutting you open anyway and has to sew you back up - he might as well remove the excess skin. My understanding is that they just just put the scar line right at the top of the genital area and it will blend in really well because there is sort of a crease there anyway. Just know that the results may not be "as perfect" if the general surgeon does it. Worst case scenario, you can get it revised - sometimes revision with a plastic surgeon is cheaper. And if its just scar revision, you don't always need general aestheisa because there isn't as much tissue to numb and they can cut you open, resew you up so you get a better scar. For more info, check out realself.com - you can see lots of before and after picture and get great advice!
    Last edited by mandypandy2246; 03-26-2013 at 04:53 PM.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    I'm also very interested in what ended up happening here. I myself have loose skin almost exactly like the OPs that just hangs there. Been trying to tackle it for nearly a year now through exercise but sadly have not tightened the skin (though I have added some muscle mass). I've been considering surgery but been very hesitant about it, simply because I hate surgery, hate going to the doctor, and think I should probably just learn to live with it.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

Paleobird Guest
    Hey Trekfan, good to see you are sticking with it and maintaining your impressive loss. Kestrel doesn't post that often anymore but you might try shooting him a PM and see if that hits his email box. He's a really good guy and I'm sure he would be happy to help you out by sharing his experiences.

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Thanks PaleoBird, how sweet!

I do still lurk here but not sure that I have much left to say or argue about, just trying to maintain and work on building muscle at the local CrossFit gym.

I sent trekfan some before / just after / now pics so he can see how it turned out. I put some recent belly pics in here but will take the usual amount of time to be moderated. I think I'll spare everyone the gory just after surgery pics but figured TrekFan would want to know what he'd be in for if he got the surgery. I won't lie, it hurt quite a bit after and the recovery was longer than I'd expected. I thought I'd be able to go to work the week after and ended up having to take another week off. So yeah plan on some down time.

Here's a side view, you can see the scar running up. As well as the "love handle" I still have left in back.

And the front view. No abs (yet!)
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I need to have this done too, but I haven't lost enough weight yet! I read somewhere that if your body fat % gets low enough that the skin will eventually tighten up... looks like that doesn't always happen though. Mine was mostly from pregnancy rather than weight loss (yes, I've lost weight, but it wasn't the weight that did the belly... if you know what I mean) and it's been this way for almost 15 years (since I was 25). I find that it majorly affects my self esteem and my ability to enjoy any physical intimacy, unfortunately...

However, as I've said I still need to lose weight... ho hum... then I need to get enough money to afford it!

Cro22ckett is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Don't be afraid to shop around, but pay for quality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12