Thread: STINKY paleo breads?? (literally!) page

froggie is offline Member

STINKY paleo breads?? (literally!)

Shop Now
    Second major FAIL.

The first one, was the fat bread that was highly talked about here over the past few months (original recipe here); I managed to do it right once before but the second attempt (in which I poorly substituted coconut butter for a some canned coconut) resulted in nearly $20 worth of a smelly, green disgusting baked disaster (can't even call it bread!).

And tonight I decided to give almond bread a shot, with an ultra easy recipe that -- I should have known better -- was too good to be true. But it was shared on here somewhere, the forum I believe.
    DO NO TRY THIS AT HOME -- this was the original 'recipe':
    200g of ground almonds
    4 eggs - sufficient to make it sloppy
    1 tbsp cider vinegar
    1 tsp (heaped) baking powder
    pinch salt

Into a greased bowl - 40 minutes at 200C. Done.

I just got it out of the oven. It "sounded" weird as I removed it from the baking dish. As in, exactly the same spongy-wet noise the prior disaster made out of the oven a few weeks back.
    It's cooked all the way, don't get me wrong.

Tried to cut a slice and WOW ... it smells so foul... Like ammonia, my husband says it smells like very dirty feet...
    Is it dangerous to try and eat it?

I know I am just crying over wasted nuts! But I really would like to get this right, please help!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

eoterm is offline Junior Member

same thing with me

PrimalCon New York
    Same thing with me at first it tasted good but then I started smelling and tasting ammonia, I did not get sick off of that . what is started to taste foul.

mine was made with coconut flour coconut milk coconut oil and baking soda and salt . This is the second time, this happened, i dunno why, i baked it.

Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Second major FAIL.

The first one, was the fat bread that was highly talked about here over the past few months (original recipe here); I managed to do it right once before but the second attempt (in which I poorly substituted coconut butter for a some canned coconut) resulted in nearly $20 worth of a smelly, green disgusting baked disaster (can't even call it bread!).

And tonight I decided to give almond bread a shot, with an ultra easy recipe that -- I should have known better -- was too good to be true. But it was shared on here somewhere, the forum I believe.
    DO NO TRY THIS AT HOME -- this was the original 'recipe':
    200g of ground almonds
    4 eggs - sufficient to make it sloppy
    1 tbsp cider vinegar
    1 tsp (heaped) baking powder
    pinch salt

Into a greased bowl - 40 minutes at 200C. Done.

I just got it out of the oven. It "sounded" weird as I removed it from the baking dish. As in, exactly the same spongy-wet noise the prior disaster made out of the oven a few weeks back.
    It's cooked all the way, don't get me wrong.

Tried to cut a slice and WOW ... it smells so foul... Like ammonia, my husband says it smells like very dirty feet...
    Is it dangerous to try and eat it?

I know I am just crying over wasted nuts! But I really would like to get this right, please help!