Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Monk's Primal Journal page

Monk is offline Senior Member

Monk's Primal Journal

Shop Now
    I have wondered if i should start a journal, even now I hesitate. In a way it will be good to put down progress and toughts and look back to see where i ahve grown and mistakes I've made.

I have thought this over in my head and decided that a little history would be nice, but will edit it and not make any possible reader slog through my life history. I'm 5'6" and was always a skinny little kid, until puberty swept in. In my teens I become stocky with a little weightlifting and lawnwork. Until I was able to drive, I had a tenspeed, that got me everywhere, no wonder, since I fell in love with the movie Breaking Away. Some of the kids i hung around had mopeds and i did my best to keep up with them on my bike. During this time, my legs were huge and could leg press 300pounds.

I spent time in the Army and got involved in weightlifting and it was almost my religion. Once out of the service I got on with my life and this person I used to be in my 20's and early 30's carried alot anger and esteen issues and that played out in the form of lifting weights as a release. For a couple years I played paintball, which helpeddrop some body fat--looked good on the outside, but I was a mess inside.

There was a catalyst, that changed how I viewd myselfm etc. and gave me hope. with this new foudn outlook, I stopped working out, beceause the anger was gone. This period of time brought alot of changes and is the reason i am so willing to take on change now.

So in this last year and a half, I became a vegetarian for a few reasons. The biggest being that I thought I'd lose weight. I had played around with Ayurvedic eating before this and lost weight, but it didn't stick. During this time I had also started doing yoga and changed jobs from a field job to an inside job.

Here we are, beginning my fourth week, eatig primal/paleo. feeling great. I just started reading Robb Wolf's book and Mark's willl be next. I started with the basic idea and just ran with it, not over complicating it. I have kept my meals pretty basic, chicken, salads and fruit and drinking water. I read labels now and some of the juices I used to buy, I won't now because I read the lable.

Places I have gone out to eat (primally): Chipotle- It makes me laugh when my bowl slides empty past the rice and beans, to get double chicken, mild salsa sour cream, quac and lettice.
    Red Lobster- had the cole slaw, lunchtime portion of grilled trout with garlic butter and a skewer of grilled shrimp and two helpings of broccoli with iced tea.
    Denny's- this was today, All American slam scrambled eggs, bacon and sausage and freshfruit with orage juice and water.
    Bob's Bigboy Weekend Breakfast bar- Almost a every sunday thin for me now. Pile of scrambled eggs, pile of bacon and some fresh pineapple, its been about two plates of this each trip and a orange juice and water.

I have been taking pictures of my face, front and side body shots and can see the difference. My pants are getting looser but no actual weight loss. I don't know when the weight will come off, with the muscle base I have, but 'm not worried about it with the results I can see.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you are doing great! I am lousy at the journal keeping but I know it helps. Don't stop
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

I realized I hadn't put my weight on here yet or goal weight. Currently 180lbs and would like to get to my BMI weight of 150.

I think I might have slept too much on Monday, my day off, then not slept well that night. Yesterday I felt like a funk rolled over me and I just wanted to get home. I haven't mentioned that I work 5am to 2pm, so I'm up around 3am to get there.

Morning meal was chicken and apple...lunch was the same with salad. Got home and was surfing youtube and watched Denise Minger's talk. Then I saw this video about how Oreos are Vegan. WTF?! More searching and PETA has a approved Vegan foodlist...all stuff I wouldn't even consider eating now, that I read lables. i used to eat oreos for dessert at lunch with my vegetarian spinach salad and chickpeas and sweetened Lipton tea. Funny how Peta wants to save animals but apparently has no problem killing humans via diet recommendations.

Another work day has begun and i've drug myself in here, I'm not feeling it today. Not feeling socialable at all, drinking some different teas and had a little dark chocolate to try and cope. Come on 2pm, I can't wait to get out of here!

I think I might have slept too much on Monday, my day off, then not slept well that night. Yesterday I felt like a funk rolled over me and I just wanted to get home. I haven't mentioned that I work 5am to 2pm, so I'm up around 3am to get there.

Morning meal was shicken and apple...lunch was the same with salad. Got home and was surfing youtube and watched Denise Minger's talk. Then I saw this video about how Oreos are Vegan. WTF?! More searching and PETA has a approved Vegan foodlist...all stuff I wouldn't even consider eating now, that I read lables. i used to eat oreos for dessert at lunch with my vegetarian spinach salad and chickpeas and sweetened Lipton tea. Funny how Peta wants to save animals but apparently has no problem killing humans via diet recommendations. Then I turned off my computer and had some ribs and cole slaw

Another work day has begun and i've drug myself in here, I'm not feeling it today. Not feeling socialable at all, drinking some different teas and had a little dark chocolate to try and cope. Come on 2pm, I can't wait to get out of here!

I just spent the last 30 minutes staring at my first three weeks, weekly pictures. I am a little choked up too, its so amazing looking at the difference. Weight loss or not, I can see the fat coming off. I'll wait for this fourth week to consider posting any pictures. I can't believe how emotional I am from looking at just the change from three weeks from taking on this lifestyle.

The first picture shows a round belly and the third picure shows the top of my belly flattened out, right under my chest. Just amazing!

I pasted the pictures together on the computer, to see the side by side, like I've seen others here do...it's teh sideview that gets me.

After my post, last night, I was putting my food together for today's work day and discovered something. The one rotis' chicken carcass I thought was clean of any meat. wasn't. I pulled that thing apart and ate every last bit of chicken off that thing. That was a bit of surprise bey appetite has leveled out a little, compared to the first week and a half, where I was hungry every two hours.

This morning I woke up with so much energy and I just started laughing. My arms tingled with energy and I wondered if elves didn't sneak in, while inject me with adrenaline. Right now I plan doing a couple more things, then taking a nap in the tub. Then i'll get up and finish the ribs, drink some water...might have some salad if I feel like it.

This will be an update from Thrusday to today, Sunday. Recovering from the office cold, I think being primal has helped.

Thursday afternoon, I started coughing, then once I was home and woke from a nap in the tub I was sniffly. I wasn't real hungry that evening and had soem ribs.

Friday morning I could feel the cold in my nose but had alot of energy, which has never been the case for me. I have always felt like I need a pop while suffering a cold. On my way to work, I stopped and got tissues, non-drowsy drugs and orange juice. I ate all the chicken I had taken with me, think I ate all my salad and one of my sliced apples. After work, I went and had an omelet with mushrooms, sausage and American cheese with orange juice and a side of bacon. Said no to the potatos and toast. Then it was off to get some orange juice and kumbucha.

I think the pop thing, when I'm sick is psychological. Yousee, when I was kid, anytime I was sick my Mom would give us gingerale(carbonation) and she would give me these mashed up hardboiled eggs with butter. This kind of leads into Saturday.

Saturday, last day of my work week, started out okay, felt alright energy wise, bu the cold really kicked in and 2pm couldn't get there soon enough. I used all the tissues I had ugh. The trip home went like this:stopped for more cold drugs, onto get more Kombucha and some egg salad from their deli and then stopped for a powerball ticket. Food eaten on Saturday, five pork sausages, half my salad and a couple pieces of my sliced apple. Dinner was a Kombucha and egg salad. took drugs and slept in hopes of sweating the cold down.

This morning, woke early to the cat wanting some goats milk(our mornig routine). The shirt I wore to bed, the neck looked like my neck had gotten thinner. I can't wait to take pictures tomorrow to see the change. Today so far, cold is disappearing, just ate the rest of my pork sausage and working on a kombucha...might gout for soup later.

I am never leaving the primal lifestyle, having this cold has only brought the point home. By tomorrow I can see the tail end of this cold with no lingering effects. That's how I feel, when i have the energy today to do some dips on the edges of the tub before getting out, it's a sign. I have never had a five day cold, the cough has always lingered for a week or two after.

Today marks my first 30days of primal life, it has been pretty much 100% for me. Took the fourth set of pictures this morning and put them with the others. I am not sure if I want to post them, like I originally thought I would. I took them more for me, than for others. I don't even know if anyone has noticed the physical change, because it has been subtle and I wear a hoodie at work with the fluctuating temperature of the office.

I can say that the cold is pretty much gone, but my appetite is off. Last night I ranout and got some lobster bisque and stopped for more juice and kombucha. Today, I had some juice, but didn't anything else until 4pm. I went to Chipotle and only had the appetite to eat half of my double chicken no rice or beans bowl. On the line I had told the girl sour cream but hadn't said cheese or no cheese, then looked away and waited to tell her lettuce and quac. At teh register I noticed I had cheese in my bowl, THE HORROR! I didn't get mad, it was probably just reflex for her. I did wonder if i could do surgery n it and scrape the cheese and pile it onto a napkin, but schose not to bother and rolled with it. It kind of says about the aversion to certain foods that has grown along the way for me.

I've been in an odd mood, thinking about messing up at my new job (I moved across the room for it the end of september) I am critical of my own mistakes. Living with the whole "did I make the wrong choice" following me around stepping on my shadow, is a bit bothersome. As painful as taking on change can be, it is what I chose, so I just have to try and live up to my bosses expectations. The funny thing is they think I'm doing well, but the one mistake I see myself make, weighs on me, more than any good I do.

I could blame it on the New Moon tomorrow, this mood that has seeped into my bones, made me listen to multiple sings/videos, in hopes of finding some comfort fomr the self-inflicted pain of thought. It is almost the two images I see of my possible self, the odd little hedge witch living in a small stone cabin and the sristocrat occultist living in a old mansion with the energy of others olds objects surrounding him. It is these romantic notions, those of Thoreau and Diogenes of Sinope that move me along this odd path I have followed...and the journey continues...

Wasn't sure what my appetite would be like today, kist packed a bit of cjicken for my morning meal...larger piece for lunch. I took the rest of my salad and apple from Saturday. It seemed like enough until 2:30pm, the hunger returned.

Thought I'd try Denny's again, it came in the shape of a Meatlover's Omelet--prime rib, sausage and bacon in an omelet with cheese on top(minus the taters and toast) with a glass of iced tea.

I have a confession to make to anyone reading this, i have three pairs of jeans that fit...well two and half. I have/had a pair that i would wait to wear, until they were the only clean pair. The waist was tight and uncomfortable. I have mananged to not wear them during this first 30days of primal eating...until yesterday. I put them on for some errands and they fit better, looser, to the point that i left the belt at home. This morning, I put them on again to go to work and they felt looser...I needed my belt. After a somewhat regular day of primal eating after practically fadting from the cold, even with the belt, i was pulling them up a little. They are getting close on the belt to being between holes. Do I have some weight loss coming? Hmmm, maybe.

I made the mistake of telling a coworker who is struggling to eat "healthier" about my weekly pictures and how my body is changing gradually. She wanted me to email them to her...I did warn her that all I had on was shorts. These are the same pictures I had contiplated putting up here.

Tomorrow we are having a meeting with food provided. I was told they are having pasta of some kind, chicken, salad and cookies. I hope the chicken is baked or soething, so I don't have to take a batter of some sort off of it...hoping a big lunch of chicken and salad and water. i will be taking a small portion of chicken in with some fruit for the morning.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast