Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Monk's Primal Journal page 2

Monk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This is an update for the last two days...

Wednesday, took a bit of chicken and some apple in to work for a morning meal. Lunch was "catered/delivered"...I don't know anyone who passes on a free meal.

There it was laid out before us:bread, two types of tossed salad, cooked/steamed veggies, a limited amount of battered chicken and pasta, I believe lasagna. Not that I ate all of these items and to think I have always had a soft spot in my heart for lasagna. Alas, I loaded my paper plate with some of one of the salads, heaping a pile of the veggies and one of the last pieces of batter chicken and of course water. Let the surgery begin, with plastic knife and fork, I cut as much batter off the chicken and ate it. It was a good meal.

There were plenty of cupcakes etc, brought in by my coworkers...I was one of two who turned away from them. I allowed others to consume those baked goods which were meant for me...in a long forgotten life. I can't say I missed the taste either. I did have to shake my head(it has become a daily thing) to shake my head at the wannabe healthy cubicle partner, as she ate cupcake after cupcake. Today she told me she was going to go buy some almonds..."tomorrow". What did I do? Find a clip of Annie singing Tomorrow for her. She didn't really appreciate that. Let your actions scream to the world, instead of letting your words become memoirs of the boy who cried wolf.

hunger kicked in 30minutes after leaving work, so stopped and got some mixed nuts. This was where I picked up the stuffed cabbage.

Dinner was ribs.

Today. morning was chicken and apple. Lunch chicken, salad and apple. I wanted something else tough so found some trailmix in the vending machine(nuts, sunflower seeds, raisins and peanuts). It is the first time I had peanuts of any kind since my first week. The trailmix held me over, while I went shopping...

I kind of wanted to find something creamy...yogurt and something with cheese. Went to one of the stores I buy Kombucha and started the search. Read the yogurt lables...did find a good one with fat, then saw that it had soy product in it...gave up on the yogurt. Looked at the area where the nuts are, then moved on. Bought more sausage, then spent smoe time in the breakfast bar aisle...got two different ones that sounded good with the right ingredients. After checking the chip aisle, did think about the sweet potato chips, but headed back for some almonds. That was it for the shopping.

Back to the stuffed cabbage, tonights dinner with kombucha and the rest of the a darkcocolatecherry and almond bar...my new favorite.

This morning I jumped onto the scale, just to see...it was quick but it almost looked like I lost a pound or two. I am really depending more on the pictures and the way my clothes fit, more than the scale. I like the progress.

I do need to widen my diet a bit so I don't get tired of chicken, hope to get a better menu for the week to come in the next week. I have ideas, but I don't want to go buy a bunch of stuff if I can buy enough to feed me for a week and it needs to be simple. Something like bacon and sauted kale and mushrooms for one meal. For another meal maybe something from the crockpot or meatballs and steamed veggies.

WOke with an odd feeling in my stomach today, I couldn't tell if it was upset or hunger or a combination of the two. That feeling went away and turned into hunger a couple hours later.

The following is todays food, in the order it was eaten:

coconut water

sausages and apples

sausages, salad and apples

dark chocolate

ribs and coconut water.

Just a few things to add...primal has improved circulation and "sensation", as a 46yr old male I am thankful.

I've been doing arm presses/dips at my cubicle. Because of the way the desk is, at a corner, I can put my hands on the sides with mt body facing the corner and support my body. When i get bored i'll do dips(as much as my arms can support) and I'll walk around the room. Most mornings, I'll run up the flight of stairs that leads to my floor.

My knees still snap a little, but don't feel the weather in my joints at all. If arthritis was trying to set in, I don't think it has a chance now. I look forward to Mondays, when I take my prgoress pictures to show me the changes I kind of see during the week. Having the pictures to compare is really helpful. How can i not get excited to be doing something so simple and natural and watch my body slowly tranform. My 47th birthday is coming up in December and it's exciting to magine what my body might look like by then aand beyond.

Have to get this entry in, I got so cuaght up in the Before and After thread and I have about 40minutes to finish up before Walking Dead comes on. Yes, I set everything aside for The Walking Dead, I won't miss it, Hell(not sure of Hell's definition) or high water.

Saturday iwas off of work, a personal day and it was nice out. Nice in Ohio in November is sunny 45deress, for anyone wondering. I had won a gift card for Steak and Shake, from a game at work, so breakfast...their menu isn't very primal. I had gone online and they have this Protobello skillet, that looked good, but it sits i a med of hasbrowns. I've gotten real good at asking to delete items from a meal. Minus the the hasbrowns and side of bread choice(they practicely want us to eat more bread than we should, without knowing about primal eating...just amazing. and a orange juice. Just a critique of eating at Steak and Shake--every time I have eaten there, I can hear everything the wait service says, and I swear, they are always coplaining to each other about other coworkers...not good business.

From there I took the scenic route down to Lehmans, they were so croweded. Fought the crowd and bought some books and some jerky and a bottle of water. The jerky is from Uncle Mikes, made nearby in Applecreek, best jerky I've had with the ingredients clearly marks on the package. I ate half the package during the drive home.

I started feeling the need to come home, away from teh world and get some blackberry wine. This wan't a craving, I know this feeling, it comes from being crowds. I stopped and got a Naked blue machine smoothy to see if I could shake the feeling for the wine. Closer to home, in the park I stopped and finished the jerky. Then I went and got the wine and came home. I hardly ever drink anymore and hadn't really planned on it in the future.

Home, drank half of the wine, then slid into the warm tub to shut the world out for a bit. Like most times, I woke in the lukewarm, almost cold water in the dark.I finished the bottle...I never felt any buzz, which is amazing...not sure if its a primal effect or not. Ate a bunch of almonds and a Uber bar, first time for the uber, pretty tasty.

8:43pm so I have to knock this out...

Today, woke and headed to the breakfast buffet, if you've been following along, you know this part 'yawn'. Scarmbled eggs, bacon, pineapple and a glass of orange juice and water. Second plate was just bacon and pineapple. Bacon left a burn't taste in my mouth that stayed with me. Then off to see Breaking Dawn part 2...only because I've seen the others and had to see the final one. Really don't like going to some movies and feeling like the creepy old guy in a room with a bunch of teenage girls.

Off to one of the places I shop, they have a little cafe setup and Sunday they have (unbattered) wings with your choice of sauce. Got twelve and sat there eating those. It made me wonder why I ever tried to be vegetarian, when eating meat feels so natural.
    Came home and felt like crawling into bed, I wasn't overly tired, but stripping out my clothes and sleeping felt right. I am not one to ignore what my body wants to do or feelings/intuition/hunches...I trust them and have proven themselves right more than not.

Woke and ate this Wallaby greek yogurt, for the first time, its the kind with the fruit in a sidecar. You tear off the lid, tip the sidecar over and mix the two. and drinkng a Lavender Kombucha, halfway gone.

That should about do with Sunday. Tomorrow is a differnet story, lots to do, second to my last float tank session and taking the car in after that...have to fit eating in something along the way.

Sunday, I had forgotten about the trailmix I bought and atea a bit of...it had no peanuts or cashews in it.

Monday, woke got the cat her goatsmilk and I ate teh other Wallaby yogurt I had, along with a small bit of rotis' chicken. Then i was off for my hour in the flotation tank. Scheduled the last one for this coming week, instead of waiting two weeks, it has become too routine for me. If I owned the tank here at home, it wold be different.

The car work didn't take long, so off to where I get the lobster bisque soup...and water. Stopped at the the bookstore and got a copy of Make It Paleo.

Last stop, groceries, to make sure I have enough for the week, for the craziness of a holiday week. In shopping, I bought a shrimp cocktail,"For two" or just one primal male eater.

Mondays final meal was shrimp and my last Uber bar.

When i was prepping my food for today, I had wondered about changing the amount of fruit I took. I'm at a bout chapter 4 of Robb Wolfs book and was feeling a little frustrated with my pictures. I can see a little change in my face, but not much else. I even took three different sets, I am not talking about frustrated, as in quiting, more in the way I need to step back and tweak something.

I packed chicken and one sliced apple for the morning meal. Lunch would be chicken and salad, no second apple. Drinking a kombucha right now and there will be ribs for dinner. I decided that I would stay away from any hot teas in the morning and drank all water. I felt teh difference today with the changes and think this is the way I'll go, seems right.

In addition to the eating change today, I got home andgot back to my Ashtanga practice, first time sine going primal. I practiced off and on since changing shifts and was always feeling tired. Today, it felt really good, body wasn't stiff, despite not practicing at all and felt very strong on top of that.

It is a little difficult to sit still with this increasing energy...hard to believe I am closer to 50 and my body is reverting back to a 21yr olds.

Morning, pulled the tab on a new carton of goats milk and took a few gulps after giving the cat her cap full.
    In the car, I had a handful of trailmix.
    Stomach was really growling alot this morning, filled it with water. Right about 7am I broke out my morning portion of chicken and apple.

About an hour later I went down to the food machine to see what was in there...HUGE REGRETS...I got a container of scrambled eggs and bacon. After I heated it up and ate it, I looked closer at the ingredients and I was pissed. POWERED CELLULOSE AND CORN SYRUP?! This after my coworker turned her nose at my food and I pointed out how much better it was than her Doritos. It actually led to a bit of CW moment, because she tried to defend the chips by reading the calories back to me. I am done buying food out of the machine, my body will just have to be happy with whatever I take into work.

Lunch was rotis chicken and salad.

Came home, felt the hunger growing and intended on doing yoga, but got caught up watching Topchef and dozing off. Got in the tub and slept.

Got up and ran up to Chipotle...bowl, double chicken, mild salsa, sour cream, quac and lettuce--no beans, rice or cheese.

Pomegranite juice from the gas station I had to check the lable first...really relate to some of the angerr towards CW thinking and labelling.

At different parts of the day, my face felt tingly/tight...is my body burning the fat on my face? Possibly, I sear my jawline is starting to show and my neck is shinking. There's like no fat on my calvesshins and forearms.

Considering this was Thanksgiving day, I didn't eat alot. Morning was a sip of goats milk.

Got to the yga today, and have to say, my upper forearms and lower biceps burned during one of the asanas. It is the first time I've felt that, really think it might be because of going primal.

I was told dinner wasn't going to be till about 2pm and was going to hold off eating anything until then. I had picked up some of Lakewood Organics chocoltae coconut, so had some of that.

About an hour later I tore the wings off the rotis' chicken, then two spoonfuls of raw honey, washed down by some big gulps of goats milk.

The big dinner, I filled my plate with turkey and greenbean casserole, with the extra room I grabbed two deviled eggs, a few olives, two seafood stuffed mushrooms and a few pieces of sweet potato, that were seperated from the marshmallow topping. Drank water and grape juice. and had one piece of pumpkin cheesecake, almost didn't eat it, but thought how well I've done and have no regrets. It didn't make me want to binge on sugary grain filled desserts.

Today is done and I'm drinking water now. I really don't feel like taking any food in tomorrow, which means fasting. I mulled it over in my head on the drive home, it feels right, like my body can get trhough a day on drinking water. I had thought about waiting for a moon day(moon days are off days for Ashtanga practicers)...who knows I could end up fasting tomorrow and the next moon day.

Why fast? i hadn't felt it before, but I think my body is leveling off from the first phase of going primal. I am more about eating for sustenance now, than eating to feel happy.
    Last edited by Monk; 11-22-2012 at 03:29 PM.

My fast, yes I survived my first fast in the primal life
    Yesterday, around 3pm, when I finished eating with family until 3pm today, was the duration of my fast. It was pretty easy from 3pm until this morning getting up. It didn't get difficult until 7am and I swear the hour from 7am to 8am was the worst. I drank albly triple what i normally drink. I have this water bottle I fill with filtered cooler water.

How did I fill my time? After the main morning rush was over, I spent some time reading the CW moment thread, I don't think I'll ever catch up. My eyes got tiredand since going primal I will say my thoughts jump from food to sex, back to food alot more. So what's a boy to do during a fast but to focus on other than food? Sex, but being in a work environment I had only the playground in my mind to occupy me. When that didn't work I'd walk around the room and look outside or go fill my water bottle.

Lunch time, I went to the lunchroom with my bottle, laid back, rested my chin on my chest and closed my eyes. I had come to a calm, where my belly felt content on water, it felt different but wasn't the excruciatig hunger from the morning.

I did have a hard time counting the hours of the fast, which is pretty easy math. Physically my face felt tight in the cheeks.

I thought I might let the fast conitinue until tomorrow morning, until I checked the site of a soup place I like to go. They have a shrimp and asparagus soup that sounded good, so got there at 3pm, soup and water. Stopped at teh store and tried a caocao dark choclate almond...had to get some. I also picked up a bag of sweet potatos chips I had looked at before, but have never tried and a bottle of kombucha. I don't plan on eating alot tonight, but have a need to snack a little. Maybe some chicken, chips and kombucha.

Overheard a coworker talking about going paleo, I almost said something. The state I was in today, I'm glad I didn't, the statement that they would "try it" bothers me. i've never been one to quote Yoda, but "there is no try". I won't go into details, but actions speak louder than words and we all know this lifestyle works. I will plug my ears if this person gives it a week of halfhearted effort, cheats and proclaims it doesn't work.

I'm not quite sure where to begin here, I sit here with a new perspective, brought to me from fasting. I understand now, what others have talked about on here, I feel free. Free from the need to bow down to hunger. yes it is there, but it is like, every other physical need, that the body's hormones signals, it is there and controllable.

I woke up to our first snow, threw my food in the bag and headed off to work. It was about 8am when I felt like, I might be ready to eat. What was different, was that hunger was there, but not strong, not overwhelming. I wasn't even that hungry, ate the little bit of chicken and half the slived apple.

11am rolled around, this is when I normally go to lunch, so I can get back and do the second work rush in ther last two hours of my day. I wasn't super hungry, but it was there. I had packed three slices of rotis chicken and my salad, got full after two of te three pieces and salad. So brought home the rest of the chicken and apple.
    What was different, was that i knew I was done eating, but my stomach gave out a little growl like it wasn't.

On the commute home, I ate a little of the trailmix I have n my car. It is actually a 7/11 brand with the right nuts and fruit--NO PEANUTS or CASHEWS!.

At home, sat on the couch and was going to unroll the yoga mat, but felt a little like a soak in the tub. I got my order from Azure Green yesterday and thought I'd use my little cast iron incense burner. Got te charcoal disk going, added the the mugwort and wormwood, then got in the tub like I've done hundreds of times. It is a great way to downshift at the end of a day, escpecially when it is cold and snowy outside.

Woke, and ate some ribs and my last kombucha, that will be it for eating tonight.

*** Just a note from Friday night, after my journal post, I did eat a few more of teh dark chocolate almonds. The dish I put them in at the store, allowed two layers...I felt like I had to finish the top layer...uh, OCD...at least i don't have the need to count them or touch each one multiple times before I eat it. I think we are all a little OCD in some ways.

A body note: From the waist down, there is no fat on my legs, like my forearms. Where I am holding fat, is my tricep area, butt and belly. I am a little curious to see if my weight starts to drop when the smaller areas are done burning fat and the larger areas start to burn the fat. I keep wondering if my scale works and want to pick it up and chake it and scream."IS THIS THING ON?!" Which would be funny, because it's an anlog scale...then again I did buy it at Walmart.

Sunday-
    Woke up, wasn't real hungry, at least the way I have been before. I knew I could probably eat something, so went to the breakfast buffet--two plates of scarmbled eggs and bacon. Had two sausage patties, they were a little cold, when I cut them in half I wondered if they had anything in them I shouldn't eat--don't think I will have sausage if i can't see the ingredients. Second plate hade some pineappple. No juice today, just water.

Didn't have a lunch, wasn't hungry. Around 2:30pm, while I was out, ate some of the trailmix. I was thirsty, stopped and got two Naked drinks, couldn't decide which one I wanted. Browsed the snacks..considered pork skins...got a Brat, but think that will be the last time. About an hour later after I had eaten 3/4's of it(threw the rest out) my stomach didn't feel right.

Stopped and picked up a Kombucha and some egg salad, thought that would be dinner. After a nap, I ate ribs and drank the Kombucha.

Since the fast, there is a disconnect, between my stomach growling and the signal, the hormones that trigger in my head, that tell me I'm hungry. It has been interesting and nice to be free.

Tmorrow marks my 6th week

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    WOke up and drank the other Naked juice.

Between 10:30am and 11am I was running out the door, with the piece of chicekn, from Saturday, shoved in my mouth. Got the float tank session out of the way. Before hitting the BMV i stopped at a Speedway and grabbed a coconut water.

I wanted to go see if any good magazines had come out, so stopped and got Lobster bisque. The place was packed, so ate in my car.

Now the frustration begins, because I wondered what the sweet potato chips would taste like with dip. Stopped and got some kombucha first, the beginning of teh dip search. I'll just say, after multiple stops I came home dipless. There are no primal chip dips on the marker, that I can tell. All have soy product, worse some have soy product and corn product.

Dinner if you call it that, was two dark chocolate covered almonds, handful of sweet potato chips, kombuchaand a few mouthfuls of egg salad.

Seems like alot of little bites here and there, with no real schedule, maybe that's how I'm supposed to eat now--not sure.

I am going to look at and search some dip ideas, that I am willing to eat. To think, we have stores full of food stuffs and I can't find someting I will let myself eat.

I played around with my pictures, I put the first week next to the sixth and there is such a difference.

Oh, and got my yoga in this morning, felt really strong. Considering that I haven't practiced that much, I was able to finish Sury A, with little trouble. I do need to get a little stronger in downward facing dog,

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast