Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Monk's Primal Journal page 11

Monk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Biggest news , started using IF for about a week and a half now. I had a couple morning that I wanted to, but because of some sleep issues I had some Monster loca mocas.

This is my one year anniversary being primal and many more to go. I think I will post the pics here.
    first year front.jpgfirst year side.jpg
    Last edited by Monk; 10-14-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Weighed myself yesterday, wasn't going to, but I lost a couple pounds! On top of that, I have three pairs of jeans right now and one pair was tight around the waist...well, until today. Excercising more, but not more than 20 or 30 minutes, if that. I've been doing about two rounds of basic excercises--dips, push-ups, seated DB curls, lying DB tricep extentions and bent bar rows. Sometimes adding or subtracting, no specific order. This weeks pictures showed a little thinner face and love handles.

Comparing pictures today, showed a small difference in my upper abs. IF is working and my pants are starting to slide off my ass. I didn't weigh myself today, but last time I did I was about the same as before on an empty stomach.

I keep thinking about eating this or that in the evening, not because I'm hungry, because I have "pickles" or something, then remember what time it is. I get more water and go back to what I was doing. I really like not being a slave to food, it beats any other way of eating I have had or seen others practice...like some well known fruitarians.

It has been about two weeks practicing IF and it seems 12weeks is the average time for good results. Should be interesting to see the change...and exciting!

Got a real good workout in yesterday, that made me decide to push the goal of benching my body weight. I am getting more motivated to do exercise, something that I didn't do much in the last year. I don't feel bad that I didn't, because I still lost fat.

My jeans are getting looser, I keep pulling them up in the back. It has been a while since I've lost fat/weight, to the point my clothes got looser, so I was trying to remember where I would lose first. As I approach y 48th B'day I think I am making decent progress for my effort. I am more motivated now and feel like I had put some things on hold over the last year. It is time to get a move on.

I have either had one big meal and small snack or almost grazed during my eating window.

Just starting my six following IF and I feel great. I've gotten a pretty good exercise habit in place, that has only grown and I try to keep it very basic and fluid. Yesterday was weights and today I unrolled the yoga mat for the first time in a while. Even though I have the strength, yoga incorporates more stamina and flexibility and my forearms burned.

Fifth week into IF...I can feel the ab muscles just under the skin along te side of my abs, really cool and amazing. I am trying to stay away from everything non-primal, but have had some breaded chicken and onion rings. I've stayed away from dairy and gone to the frozen coconut treats. I'm eating about one big meals around 3ish in the afternoon, except for days like today, that I know I need to eat during my 11am lunch time. Staying within the window has been easy, it has been more about making sure I eat enough to get me to my next eating window and the later and smaller the window the better--at least for me and my goals.

In the middle of my second 36 hour fast - Friday night to Sunday morning. What I found, that is helping me duing the week(when I fast to 11am or 2pm-ish) is Zevia. I never realized such wonerful calorie, all natural soft drinks existed, until I saw Dr. Sara Soloment show Zevia and a couple other drinks. What I like about them, is that they seem to trick my stomach into believing that it is full enough, between my waking hours. The hardest part of fasting for me, is the hours when my body realizes I am awake and starts to growl. Even now my stocmach is growling, but I don't feel hungry or I've gotten used to feeling this way and water keeps hunger at bay. It might also be, that I am driven andsee my body slowly changing and just the slight ripple of my upper abs poking through, excites me to continue. I am two days away from my 48th birthday, the idea of having a six pack at this age(whenever I never have, even in my physical prime) is really exciting. How could I not want to show anyone willing to look, at that point of success? I would be a fool to not want it or not want to show my accomplishment.

Just a quick note.
    At the end of this last 336hour fast I weighed myself, came in at 170. Yesterday, on an empty stomach(fasted) I weighed in at 174, so I have lost about 3 to 4 pounds. I feel really good, sticking to more of a lean gains approach and still eating paleo/primal.

In a letter my mom sent me, she said a friend of hers started Paleo and loaned the book to my mom. Maybe now I can stop hearing her ask me if I am still on my Paleo diet.

Decmber was my post? wow, where does the time go? Still working with IF, but started to shift towards the Keto side of thise whole thing in the last week. Watched some videos, and have read alot, mostly from Dr.Phinney and Dr. Volek. The only real difference is that I am looking at carbs when I read lables, but I am used to reading labels already. Shifting to the higher fat, lower carb has been pretty easy and so far I have kept my carbs under 40grams a day. I do have some sauer kraut, but need to start eating more. I also will try taking some magnesium as I transition.
    I think the biggest issue is letting my body transition and make my bowel movements as easy as possible, with less carbs. I think, even the bad carbs helped the BM and getting the body used to not having the large amount of carbs will be gradual, but manageable.
    I have seen a weight gain, but the pictures tell a different story and my stomach looks a little thinner.
    I cut back on the IF, but still won't eat until 8Am. I brought a feew packets of Almond Butter in to work to try and manage hunger, even though I have maanaged fairly well, probably because I have gotten used to IF ing. I am going more on, if I am hungry I will eat, choosing something with high fat, if it has carbs, I fit it into the 50grams a day box and think about the rest of the day. I don't want to spend alot of time thinking about carbs, but until I transition a bit more, I probably will. Obsess over them? No, just add them up and think about the food I have.
    I will update here, because I have posted some of this stuff on FB for some reason, but there is none there who can relate to this. I'm okay with that, I like or don't mind being the oddball, if I can get the results I want from something.

Watching people give up on New years resolution is sad, when taking this whole thing on has been huge for me. I am far from done with my journey.
    I have been playing with the idea s around sleep, using the orange lens glasses before going to bed and sleeping with a sleepmask. Creating natural melatonin etc to control my leptin levels is really interesting on top of sleeping much better.

Things are going pretty well, today my morning hunger wasn't too bad. If you have used IF before venturing into Ketogenic land, you have to retrain or relearn how to use IF on fewer carbs. That has been my experience so far, nearing the end of my second week. I am adjusting though and made it to past 11AM before eating a almond butter packet and a handful of almonds, right now I am sitting around minus 13carbs.
    I am going to see if I can stay under 30carbs today, since I have gradually reduced them each day, as muchas I can.

The last two days I have eaten a couple moutfuls of sauer kraut and taken one tablet of magnesium. It is the first time i've ever taken magnesium. I think the combination of the kraut and magnesium have helped my BM. I don't know if this is the magnesium or just my body adjusting, but the first night I I woke up and felt very hot. It wasn't a feverish, sweaty hot, just hot. This morning I had this really jarring dream that felt lucid and stopped me suddenly, landing me in aother dream.
    I have felt a little sniffly and a bit off, but energized in a different way. I searched for carb flu for those shifting from paleo to Ket and only found a site that the two were combined...tat works because that is more of what I'm shooting for.
    Some of the things some forum say they eat under keto, are processed and I won't go that route. I do want to get Volek and Phinnye's books, because I agree with the work they have done.
    Being one with a body that does put on weight/muscle easily I wonder where my carb level should be. Accoring to Dr. Phinney the highest range if 50carbs all the way down to 20 g. I did hop on the scale this morning just to see and my weight did come back down...but will keep taking pictures every week.

If I had gotten myself into ketosis before this morning, I knocked myself out of it. Too many carbs, decided to just reset and take my carbs lower tomorrow. I am going to shoot for 10carbs a day and lots of good fats. I was doing really well on both and will get adapted. The food I ate still fit into primal/paleo for the most part, just ran the carbs up to cope with various things, no biggie. I am very persistant and know why I am doing this and what I want to get out of living this way.

I had to listen to more "smoothy" talk, it's the new office "thing". My coworkers, from previous posts want to start doing smoothies. the Dorito chick has been talking about the smoothies etc for the last year. The other lady was over complicating the ingredients the one guy was suggesting. I doubt they will get very far with the whole thing, I just don't really want to listen to them. Do something already, talking and knowing about a healthier way of eating won't get you any where, you actually have to do it.
    Oh, lol Dorito lady asked me why I stopped doing smoothies, I didn't even try and explain, I have told her about my IF. I either nap at lunch or now that I've hacked my sleep, I have been reading.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast