Thread: Good and Bad... page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Good and Bad...

I've recently been doing some experimentation on my food sensitivities. There was something I ate every once in a blue moon (we're talking maybe once or twice a year) that damn near killed me with nausea and extreme fatigue and another something I ate maybe twice a month that made me lightly nauseous and gave me heartburn. I've been trying to figure out what these triggers are, so I know what to avoid.
    The first one seems to be coffee. The larger the quantity, the worse the effects. I think I just don't notice unless I drink more than half a cup. Espresso doesn't seem to affect me anywhere near as badly, for some reason, but brewed coffee, especially in conjunction with something else caffeinated, seems to just kill my digestive tract. I don't drink enough of the stuff to really miss the brewed coffee if I cut it out.
    The other seems to be hard to pin down. I'm thinking it's a processed oil, but not too heavily processed, because I don't get the headache with the nausea like I get from the particularly foul oils. I don't get it when I cook, I only get it when I eat out, so it's not animal fats or toasted sesame, walnut, olive, canola (pre- PB usage) or coconut oil. It also can't be a trans fat, modified palm oil, cottonseed oil, soybean, or corn oil, because those would've given me a headache. I can't for the life of me determine what it is. Anyone have any ideas?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Expresso is way higher quality than coffee, most of the time, and it has 30-50 mg caffeine versus 100-200 per cup of coffee, so that might be why. Not hating on caffeine, im a big fan of it, just letting you know.

The oil could be MSG... What "out food" gives you the headache?

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

I have a high sensitivity to processed oils. It manifests in a migraine and severe nausea. The more heavily processed the oil (eg: transfats) the worse my reactions. The PB oils don't seem to do it to me, unless the bacon I use for the grease has extraneous crap besides sugar, water, meat and salt. It may be MSG.

AlanBradin is offline Junior Member
    I'll definitely echo the MSG suggestion. The extreme fatigue is a big clue and a common reaction for people with MSG sensitivities. However, this is something that you definitely don't want to tinker much with, as MSG is an excitotoxin which can make its way to direct contact with brain tissue. I would recommend talking to your primary care physician and seeing how you can determine whether it really is MSG that you're sensitive to or not.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    On second thought, MSG usually doesn't go into burger at a deli, right? Because that meat is the only processed food that I had yesterday (everything else on the burger was easily identified as it's raw source, besides the bun I didn't eat.
    If you're referring to going to the GP abt my oil sensitivites, I have. She doesn't know what to make of it, hasn't seen it before. She ran a galbladder scan on me to make sure that didn't have a hand in it, it didn't. I kept a food journal for a month, she saw it and agrees that it's a sensitivity to the highly processed oils, but can't ID why the nastier the oil, the worse I react (really? I can...).
    I was eating fairly "healthily" (more veggies and less grains on CW) before I started down this last leg towards full primal, just because I couldn't eat the SAD without gratuitous pain and had no taste for fast food or any of that nastiness. I quite literally can not eat even a kid's sized bag of fast food fries or a single piece of my mother- in- law's fried chicken without a reaction to the grease they each use. If it's a grease that can survive deep frying, I can't survive the grease (unless she uses lard to fry). i was actually leery of PB before I started BECAUSE of all the fats. when I noticed that the only ones accepted were the only ones I could handle, I figured it might just work.
    I ate fairly low fat for years simply because I couldn't handle the so called "healthy fats" or fast food fats.