Thread: Grass-Fed/organic Question page

astrummortis is offline Junior Member

Grass-Fed/organic Question

Primal Fuel
    Hello, all, I've just got a quick question as my first post!

So I've been trying to eat primally now (slowly working myself off of my previous 'diet) for about three weeks. This seems to be the week where I'm *finally* getting 100 or less carbs a day, and I feel great! The thing is, however, that I'm a starving artist, so all of this food that's making me feel great isn't grass fed or organic.

So I've gone about this issue just like I've gone about the eating kosher idea that I do: I'll eat the right type of foods, but there's no organic or kosher guarantee. Thankfully they both lead to the same easiest solution: less processed, more whole food.

So anyway, here's my question: which is more important? Primal type food, or organic/grass-fed food? Frankly, with a budget of 100 dollars a week to feed three people, I can't do organic or grass-fed. So does it matter that I'm doing primal at all if I can't? Or is primal-type food better than plain-old SAD food?

Thanks!
    -C.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    People seem to THINK they can't afford grass-fed or pasture-raised meats and eggs, but stick to the cheaper cuts such as beef chuck roast, ground beef, pork chops, ground pork, bacon/pork belly, or pork shoulder roast, you can do it!

I would make high-quality meats a bigger priority over organic veggies because of the lack of added hormones and the lower level of toxins that may be present in the meats and eggs you're eating.

astrummortis is offline Junior Member
    Well, I can do eggs because they're only a dollar more. I do know that, so I suppose I could have pointed that out.

Maybe I should look at prices again; I only ever do ground beef, [I really like to get chicken, and I do try and get organic chicken when possible] but I feel like every time I get the organic stuff I'm suddenly spending 120$ instead of 100$.

Anyway, I was thinking meat's more important than veggies. With wheat gone, the worst plant-based genetically mutated food seems (imo) to be out anyway.

Thanks for answering, Drumroll!

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    No problem. I think some people just get intimidated when they see the prices of some of the more pricey pork roasts and beef steaks, especially the pasture-raised and grass-fed stuff. Ok, point taken, they can be a bit expensive.

But there are all these wonderfully underutilized cuts that are much more reasonable in price. If we would just learn to utilize those cuts more, more people would realize that they CAN go grass-fed/pasture-raised!

Also bear in mind that "organic" doesn't really mean much when it comes to meat and eggs. A cow fed "organic" grains is no healthier than one fed conventional grains. Ditto for eggs. Eggs especially in fact because there is a lot of shady labeling with eggs. My Whole Foods only offers one brand of pastured eggs, but there are numerous "organic" or "cage free" brands that have a price mark up nearly as bad but without any of the benefit.

But like the previous poster said, eat as healthy as you can afford. If you can't afford grass fed on the more expensive cuts, just do grain fed for those and only go grass fed with organ meat and cheaper cuts. Cutting out all the processed, prepackaged garbage, and eating real foods, whether grass fed/organic or not, is where the bulk of your gains are going to derive.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Why do people keep thinking you have to buy organic, cage-free, grass-fed meat and eggs that have been exposed from birth to Rachmaninoff and guaranteed 2 hours of daily massages and facials daily? Buy meats and produce and fruits that you can afford. Stay away from anything containing wheat, corn, soy, or any ingredient an average 3rd grader can't pronounce, and avoid most stuff that comes in a box. The end.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ferrijessica is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    may be present in the meats and eggs you're eating.