Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really inconsistent results? page

soniayak is offline Member

Really inconsistent results?

Hello! I haven't introduced myself around here yet, but I'm a 26 year old nursing student, married with two kids. My dad went primal last year and lost 50 pounds and really improved his cholesterol levels. He was always preaching to me about PB- but I never believed him because of all the CW I have been indoctrinated with in nursing school.

After seeing that so many of patients are suffering due to the way that they've managed their own health over the years, I decided that I did NOT want to end up like that. I was an extremely healthy and active teenager- but college, marriage, and kids have gotten me into the worst shape I've ever been in.

Anyways- I decided to give a fair shot. I read PB, and I decided I would go 30 days. The first week, as discussed in other posts- I did NOT feel good. But now I'm feeling pretty good (I've been on for 3 weeks). I'm still trying to silence those little CW voices in my head every time I cook with coconut oil or eat a big fatty steak- but they are getting quieter with time.

Anyways, I know that weight loss is only one factor of the whole thing- but I've been having some really weird results. I have consistently been eating basically the same amount of calories/carbs/protien over the three weeks. Week one- lost 2 lbs. Week 2 lost SIX lbs. Week 3 lost 1/2 Lb. Is this normal? Any other weight loss I have experienced has been 1-2 lbs/ week, I just have found it strange that the weight loss has been so inconsistent!

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's normal. Don't weigh once a week. Weigh (at most) once a month.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

tooround is offline Senior Member
    I'm not having consistent results either. But that's not exactly true. While I seriously have not lost much weight (the initial swoosh and then bits and odds that only really add up to about 6 or 7 pounds) I am shrinking.
    On vacation in January, I bought two pairs of jeans that I could barely do up. By the time I got home, I couldn't do them up. Today they are too big. Am I happy? Darned right I am!

We are soooo indoctrinated with the notion that weight loss is pounds loss. If we googled "slender fitness" what would we get?
    We want smaller, fitter, stronger, healthier, sturdier ... and you can't weigh that on any scale.
    You need to hunt high and low for more ways to assess your progress. Body fat percentage, tape measures, jeans, pictures, stamina, strength, compliments
    Think of yourself as an optimization project. So many facets! You are much more than a hunk of pounds on a scale!

MeatMe216 is offline Senior Member
    Indeed, monitor body composition over weight loss. Ive been steadily shedding belly fat on PB, but gaining weight. My muscles are getting more solid and I have a core i never knew exsisted (this also makes my belly stick out a bit more)

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    At least you're consistently loosing some weight ever week though. When I read the title
    for this topic I was expecting to read about weight going up and down or something. I'm glad
    to hear that that's not the case.
    I'm actually guilty of weighing myself too frequently (daily- shhhhh don't tell nobody) and
    since I'm trying to gain muscle and loose fat as I get close to my BF goals, the scales don't always
    move much anymore. My strength is gradually increasing and the tape measure (I use that
    too often too) is going in the right direction.
    Anyway, hang in there. Sounds like PB is working for you.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Women notoriously retain water at various times, and that adds weight. It's unlikely that you lost 6 lbs in a week. Most likely your previous weigh in reflected some water weight, and when the body dumps that, you get a big loss like that. The advice to weigh once a month is great. If you're menstruating, the best time is mid-way in your cycle. If you weight once a month at the same time of the month, you should get a fairly accurate sense of pounds lost.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people aren't getting enough essential nutrients like b vitamins and iodine and it seriously impedes their progress. Check that out but don't stop at those. nutritionfacts it up

AppalachianMatt is offline Senior Member
    It can be very confusing when you start out as to what you think should occur. Don't get obsessed with 1-2 lbs here and there. The most important thing for me is to focus on eating healthy, living cleanly and working out. I try to make everything i do into a physical activity whether it's playing with my 5 and 1/2 month old, taking walks with the wife, cleaning, etc. For me it's more about being healthier and happier. I started out 4 weeks ago at 195 lbs and now I fluctuate between 180-183. My personal goal is 185 lbs with 6-7% body fat but I don't harp on it. I just try to stay very active and eat right. Everything else will take care of itself in the long run.

Some people will see results immediately while others' take a longer period to adapt. It could be that some people just ate horribly and now they eat like they always should have. We live in a society where we want results now not later. Give it time and see where it takes you. Don't focus on the weight but how you feel.
    Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I'm actually guilty of weighing myself too frequently (daily- shhhhh don't tell nobody)
    Same here: I still weigh myself too frequently (old habits sometimes die hard!), although I've been successful in getting away from daily weigh-in's; now it's mostly once a week (with maybe a "sneak encouragement peak" during the week if I feel especially lighter or the belt/clothes are a little looser!), and my "official" weight tracking log is only month to month now.

Taking some adjusting, but definitely getting better at emphasizing (to myself) the longer term trend vs. short term movements (and body comp vs. raw weight numbers), even if I still indulge a little in looking at those shorter term movements...

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think people get way too hung up on short term scale measurements. I routinely go to bed and wake up two pounds lighter - I always remark to my wife when this happens. Did I lose two pounds of fat over night? No. Your weight will fluctuate daily by up to three pounds and unless you are scarfing back 5 tubs of ice cream - it isn't body fat. I think focusing on the long term trend in body weight is the right approach and stop worrying about daily or even weekly fluctuations of a pound or two - it is completely normal.

Like I said...I fluctuate within two pounds daily. I know progress is happening when I no longer go up into that higher number. For example, the last week or so I have been going from 192lbs dipping down to 189lbs on any given day and for the last three days I have not gone into the 190s so I can safely say I have left the 190s behind me even after going in and out of the 190s for a week or so - the long term trend is down. I will now bounce around between 189-187lbs until I leave 189 behind and the process will continue until my body lands where it wants to. I started PB in February this year and have gone from 220lbs to my current 189lbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast