Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PBF, suck at it page 2

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Yes I can do pushups etc. In the PBF book, Mark has you do an assessment. Do as many pushups as you can, (mine was 6), so from 0-10, you are to start with wall push's get up to 50 then move on. Pullups I couldn't do any, so it's 20 two legged assist. Squats, I have no problem with. Planks, if you can do a full one from 0-45, start with the hand/knee plank, get up to 90 secs.

I'm just trying to follow what the book says...LOL Just feels different as I can go on the Bowflex (I know, not the same) and do pulldowns with 200 lbs res. no problem.

Yea I need to work on it. The pullup (chinup) amazes me. I don't remember how many but remember doing them when I was young.....ooooops....mind is going too....LOL
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I would do one a day...it takes time.
    One of the exercises a day? Everyday?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I believe Mark recommends 2-3x/week. 3x/week if you're looking for good progress. It's going to take some time to progress as well, so just be patient.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    That sounds silly that if you can do less than 10 real pushups you should do wall pushups. I would skip advice that sounds stupid like that. If I can do 1, you can bet that I will do that 1 pushup and forget wall pushups for the rest of my life. I might do 1 real pushup and then do the rest knee pushups until I can do 2 pushups, then the rest knee, etc.

I started with a core fitness class and I was so uncoordinated. I would look at the instructor and then try to figure out how to pretzel myself into whatever he was doing and sometimes I'd have to look at my limbs to make sure the right ones were moving and very often they weren't and the whole exercise would be almost over before I'd figure it out. Sometimes some of them I never figured out. Side planks I still can't figure out how to lay on my feet like that. Maybe it's the VFFs I wear.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I am on CC and his starter program is one exercise a day....more advanced includes 2 exercises a day. I am working at 2 core exercises with the addition of flags and hangs etc.

The thinking behind starting slow is it builds not just the muscle but the tendons ligaments etc in preparation for the more advanced moves.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I think one of the hardest things to do in these situations is assess where you are at, and NOT compare it to either: a) where you think you should be (based on what?) or b) where others are.

When I first started working out 6 years ago, I couldn't do a pullup either. In fact, I had only (to my memory) ever done 1 rep of a pullup - and that was when I was like 13 (I think). Within 6 months (and 50 pounds!) I was doing 10.

But there were guys at that gym who could pump out sets of 20.

The point is, are you better this week than last? If so, keep going - and don't worry about what you are doing.

In terms of schemes, though, I would say 2-3 times a week on all 4 moves until you can hit the number, then advance. As others noted, part of this is to build up supporting muscle, tendon and joint strength.

And on a side note, don't get confused about pull-down exercises. You get to brace yourself and use leverage on those; it's not nearly the same thing as pulling your free-swinging body up!

But you'll get there!

I am on CC and his starter program is one exercise a day

What is CC?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

mamagault is offline Member
    Keep at it. A year later, I'm finally able to squeeze out a few military pushups, do 40 squats most days, and plank for over a minute. I still stink at side planks and can't do a single pull up to save my butt. I'm happy with the progress, though, because I feel stronger, see the benefits translated into my daily life, and I choose not to worry about meeting some set goal if my body isn't going there because it isn't capable yet. I know I'll get there.

On a side note, I usually work out 5 days a week, doing max reps of all the above, plus some tricep dips and Crossfit situps. That has been the most effective for me. It only takes about 15 minutes, plus however long I choose to stretch afterward.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    CC = convict conditioning another good bodyweight program.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Neely is offline Member
    My press-up count two months ago - 9.

My press-up count two days ago - 57.

It's all just about time and commitment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast