Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: My First Day as a Raw Vegan... page 6

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, it's a harsh choice between fat and quality human food with no consideration for macros.
    Leida, this is where you kind of lose me. On the one hand, I see you as a body builder type, that enjoys trying to perfect her body and acknowledging how hard it is. When you post shit like the above.... it reads like an eating disorder. You aren't fat. IIRC, you are at the low end of average body fat % and the pics you post are of a woman who is decidedly not fat by any standard related to realistic healthy people.

Your choice is actually about having a very normal, healthy average (maybe smaller than average) body and eating like normal primal person OR experimenting your way into a very much above average level of lean/muscle.

Face it, you aren't 5'4 and 215 lbs. Eating a normal primal diet isn't going to rocket you to obesity. Not eating hemp powder is not going to make you Roseanne.

Lastly, women age. It happens. Skin lose its tautness. Metabolisms slow. Hormones change. Your body is going to get harder to perfect, not easier. Learn to at least appreciate it. And enjoy your food. I mean, there is an alternative option for you- a feeding tube and the perfect combo of nutrients shuttled to your body. My dad has one. He sure has lost a ton of weight. And it kills us all to see him not enjoy food.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    And FWIW, nothing pisses fat people off more than skinny people that whine about being fat. You make us feel like heifers.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

blissfull is offline Junior Member
    I've done the raw food vegan thing. I actually felt great and received several compliments from others out of the blue,
    "You look great" and they had no idea I was doing the raw food thing.
    This was in July though. Peach season and vegetables galore. For a week or two your body will love you but long term I don't know. Salads heaped with home-made guacamole is delish. There are days I could live off that.

Skip the protein shakes though if you are doing this as an day on/day off thing and just enjoy the colors of the rainbow.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Your choice is actually about having a very normal, healthy average (maybe smaller than average) body and eating like normal primal person OR experimenting your way into a very much above average level of lean/muscle.
    I am not sure that if I eat at my appetite and only of clean non-toxic foods, I won't end up at 200 lbs. I think that if I were sure that I can eat good foods without calorie counting only avoiding grains and processed foods and all sweeteners, and I will be where I am now, I might live with it. It is the fear of going back to 160, and higher that scares me. There are so many people who eat decently but are overweight in my age group. I am having a hard time believing that's all about wheat. My mom who is INSANELY athletic (she bikes 20+ km a day!) & maybe eats a couple of slices of bread a day, and the rest is all good food, is heavy. Everywhere I look, I see heavy people eating pretty good salads and proteins and fruit.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Leida...just breathe. When life becomes all about food (or anything else) you have lost your balance and your ability to enjoy. I understand the weight battle. I have been overweight since I was 5. I am now 46. I was 150 in high school. Currently I am 176 and that is the lowest I have been in 13 years. So i get it. But I have been unhappy for most of my life too. I want to be healthy. I want to lose weight. And I want to be happy. The only way to do all this is find a balance and to love myself enough not to punish myself. Please quit punishing yourself.
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Can you sprout non-seed quality beans sold in a store? Or do you have to find a source of beans that can actually, well, sprout? I know that Veseys actually sells beans that can sprout.
    The beans in the bulk bins ought to be able to sprout just fine. If they don't, then they are not alive and no good and you'll have to get the ones they sell for sprouting.

The difference between sprouting and cooking is sprouting turns the bean into a little plant. You can eat it with just a little sprout coming out or let it get a couple of leaves or somewhere in between. A lady at the farmers market in my town sells all kinds of sprouts that are basically the bean with a little tiny bit of plant sprout coming out. They are very tasty. I don't really care if they "aren't primal", they taste good to me. I especially like sprouted lentils and peanuts.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    My mom who is INSANELY athletic (she bikes 20+ km a day!) & maybe eats a couple of slices of bread a day, and the rest is all good food, is heavy. Everywhere I look, I see heavy people eating pretty good salads and proteins and fruit.
    Insane athleticism doesn't actually work.

Here's a picture of my face when I was in the middle of a lifestyle where I hiked 25-30 miles a day. This was pre-primal, about 3 years ago. Note the double-chin. I'd been hiking for 2.5 months, 14 hours a day when this picture was taken.

Here's me now. I'm 3 years older. I don't exercise 14 hours a day anymore. More like 2 hours a day.

My body is shaped a little differently now but I'm basically the same size as I was during my hike, but with a better body composition and way way less total exercise.

I only weighed myself once during my hike and I was 125lbs at that time. On my own scale at home, my lowest on Primal has been 130. I'm not weighing anymore because I've started lifting. I don't want to freak myself out. I would be perfectly happy to go back up to my starting weight if it meant I stayed the same size but improved my body composition. I think your problem is that you freak out and starve yourself whenever you see any increase in weight so you can't possibly improve your body composition.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    What is the difference between eating a bean or grain sprouted as opposed to the conventional way of cooking it?
    Here. are. lots. of. articles.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Legbiter is offline Senior Member
    Eat what you want, the Paleo Police won't come around to arrest you.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    But they might rough you up a bit.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast