Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Day as a Raw Vegan... page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I am talking 1 day a week, and apparently I wasn't even able to get there past breakfast smoothie.

I am doing UD2.0, where I stay ketonic for 5 days, then carb up on starch for 1 day, then it is a day of free eating when you don't have to hit macros on the dot and don't have million 'don't's. I wanted to try raw vegan for that particular day because I miss fruit (and veggies, but to a lesser degree because I still get to eat some). Overall, I am pretty happy with the set up (since I still get to have carbs and fruit each week), but I am trying to maximize the fruit.

I just can't stop eating fruit. I love it very much, so when I get 1 day a week when I can have fruit (it's no good otherwise, something about glucogen yada, yada, yada), it is hard to fit in all fruit I want AND meet protein need. So, I had the brain wave about raw vegan.

I was wrong, obviously.

I handed in my Primal Club Card. Like I said, I just don't seem to have what it takes to be a purist. I don't think I want to be anything dietically any more.
    Last edited by Leida; 11-05-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if I understand what your goal is. I think (sorry if I'm being slow) that you want to be able to restrict calories and still eat a good amount of good tasting food. I think you might be surprised that many animal product have fewer calories per gram of protein.

I put together a spread sheet when I was trying to find the best caloric bang for my buck regarding protein. Here's a small portion of it:

These might not match exactly to any given tracker online because at the time I was doing it piecemeal. From the above, you could slam down about 15 oz of pork loin (fat trimmed) for 465 calorie and get 117 grams of protein. Assuming a caloric goal of 1200, you'd have 735 calories left to eat all the fruits and veggies you wanted. It's an extreme example, I know. Also, my chicken values are for boneless, skinless.

Oh, I understand, and I can do it even for very few calories on egg whites and 0% Greek Yogurt and meeting 'no fat' goal for high carb day. I just thought by some reason that I can do a whole day on the raw plant matter alone to take a break from the meat-eating, and to exclude dairy, since dairy is a wild card AND have a huge volume of food that will like totally help me get through a Hungry Sunday. Again, I was mistaken, so I will just do ew's & skim dairy. No raw veganism for me, heh.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Gotcha. And you've been around longer than I, so I know you know that it's not the extracting of fat from dairy that's bad, it's the fact that most major brands add crap back in afterward. There was a thread, I can't remember what it was called, but I believe the nutritional profile for Fage 0% is the same for Fage full fat except for the fat, so nothing wrong with fat free there.

Good luck.

Yep, same here, we don't have Fage, but Liberte brand I am buying here doesn't have anything crappy added to it, and tastes awesome. Plus, I resumed my quark-making (poor grains had been in and out of the freezer like 5 times now with my Doubts about Dairy).

I still don't know how these raw folks do it. Sheesh, that's commitment. Maybe sprouts are better, dunno. I think they are also into actually pretty low protein lifestyle too, like 50 g or so a day.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    If it's just one day, why not just enjoy the hell out of the fruit and not worry about the protein (that day)? I do that on occasion- I have a smoothie for breakfast (yogurt, fruit) and a piece of fruit and almond butter for lunch. No need for nasty tasting protein crap.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

It's a heavy lifting day. Unfortunately, fruit is forbidden on the cardio and depletion days, AND on the main carb-up day. It is amazing how detrimental fruit is for the lean muscular physique. Goes to show that most of these diets are invented by men. Men generally don't really crave fruit, so they don't see that exclusion as OMG, big DEAL! Now, if that was beer...

And, lol, I like everything about hemp protein, apart from how it looks and tastes! Nutritional profile is just great. I am stuck with a kilo of it. Well, once a week, with a hearty prayer, and if I dump it in AFTER the fruit so it actually dissolves better... I might also try to go spinach-avocado route with the hemp. That will somewhat disguise the swamp color of the resulting concoction with the happy spinach green.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Just a thought....maybe part of the reason that you seem to have issues with overeating is because you are trying to be so restrictive with your diet. I know that when I start to get really restrictive, that's when I break down one day and eat every carb I can find in my pantry, and that usually lasts 2-3 days which ends up ruining all the work I did in the first place.

It seems like you are training, like to be a body builder or something? I'm not sure, I don't know your story. I just know from personal experience that when I restrict myself that way, it usually ends up backfiring on me and I binge on tons of food, usually non primal food, which then leaves me feeling sick and gross for days.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. I am currently working at a different office for a few weeks and there's a vegan in there. I swear that if someone had lined up all 20+ employees and said "find the vegan," I would've spotted that person right away - she's the only one who looks like she's on her deathbed. Pale, sunken-in eyes, straggly hair, very thin, etc.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    I guess, I have a screw lose somewhere, I just can't seem to adhere to strict diets at all. I always want everything.
    I had read this blog not long before I read your post. I don't know all of your story but the above quote from your original post made me think of some of the findings the experiment discussed in the blog. I hope it helps! I do think you are beating yourself up over this. Do you want to be healthy? Then love yourself first.
    Ancestral Weight Loss Registry - Blog
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast