Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Term Fatigue page 2

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Have you looked into the possibility that what you're experiencing is Overtraining Syndrome?
    I never understood why anyone would put so much emphasis on conditioning.

archmac is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Have you looked into the possibility that what you're experiencing is Overtraining Syndrome?
    Rich, that's a good question, but I don't think so. I feel amazing right now, and have since I cut out problem foods and upped my caloric and carb intake. I also generally take about a week off for every month of training, tapering back to one or two short, easy runs and maybe some hiking or swimming. The formula seems to be working pretty well for me, as I'm in the best shape I've been in since college and am eating better than I ever have.

archmac is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I never understood why anyone would put so much emphasis on conditioning.
    I race because it gives me a goal and keeps me on track. I'm competitive, so I like to do well when I race. It also keeps me balanced, mentally. To each his/her own.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Important to get fast acting carbs, b-vitamins and some sodium immediately post-workout for optimal recovery, if missing on this crucial point you may feel yourself shitty...
    Being just an old fashioned guy myself; I’m beyond tired of all these fragile mama boys (and girls!) with powder in their gluteus and soft pillows under their arm pits that cannot recover from their 3 days a week abbreviated “strength” routine…

Willsellout is offline Junior Member
    That's definitely a lot of training. I could see why VLC/LC wasn't working for you. If nothing else, primal/paleo has really introduced the idea of "find what works for you". It took me a while to figure out what my body likes and doesn't like and how much and what I have to eat to feel my best.

Glad you figured things out, too bad you can't enjoy eggs and coconut

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archmac View Post
    Rich, that's a good question, but I don't think so. I feel amazing right now, and have since I cut out problem foods and upped my caloric and carb intake. I also generally take about a week off for every month of training, tapering back to one or two short, easy runs and maybe some hiking or swimming. The formula seems to be working pretty well for me, as I'm in the best shape I've been in since college and am eating better than I ever have.
    Well, whatever it was, I'm glad you've got it sorted out. Hope it keeps working for you.

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    I just wanted to share with you that shortly before the age of 19, I came down with a mysterious illness. The symptoms were vague and in the beginning, sometimes the only ones were severe fatigue and post extertional malaise. I had so many lab tests come back normal. I had some doctors tell me I was depressed or anxious despite family members coming to appointments with me and explaining something wasn't right. Luckily, I had just as many doctors who believed me, but just didn't know what was wrong. Hearing I wasn't crazy helped a lot. I also think it helped a lot that my family members believed me and could see a difference in me on "good" days versus "bad" days. It proved to me what I knew; this is not in my head. I am aware anxiety/depression can also make people look awful, but typically it doesn't only make them look awful after they've been active/running errands and not any other time.

Anyways, I tried everything. I tried every sort of diet you can imagine. I tried every sort of exercise schedule you can imagine. I tried all sorts of supplements. I tried all sorts of prescriptions. None of it helped significantly. Yes, I could function on a surface level, but I felt awful doing it. Eventually, my body gave out. Finally, right before my 23rd birthday, I was diagnosed with dysautonomia called POTS and I have other problems I've discovered since.

My point: You know your body. I knew something was wrong and no matter how many doctors said it was in my head, I kept pushing for the 4 years it took to get a diagnosis. You should do the same if you truly feel something is not right.

Oh -- problem solved. Awesome
    Last edited by JackieM; 09-19-2013 at 10:08 PM.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I agree that an elimination diet would be great to start with.

I just can't imagine what you could be missing in this diet that you would get by adding wheat, sugar, and refined oils back in.

I am intolerant to nuts, eggs, dairy and nightshades. So I actually felt worse in many ways when I started paleo until I got those foods out.

Do you have any other symptoms other than fatigue?

ETA: Ooops! Missed the fact that you solved your problem. Good work! It stinks that it's eggs. I hate not being able to eat eggs.
    Last edited by jammies; 09-19-2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I explained my experience with unexplained fatigue. I also wanted to add that it turns out I am allergic to gluten and dairy and intolerant to soy and egg. I tried elimination diets (just eliminating target food) and could never get anywhere. Now this makes sense -- I was eating so many other foods I am allergic/intolerant to and as a result, constantly experiencing reactions, that the reintroduction of the target food didn't make much of a difference in symptoms. My allergies were not the source of my debilitating symptoms, but for many they are, and I definitely feel better overall when I avoid them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12