Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eating primal for 2 weeks but not feeling good page 2

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Wow, up to 6 weeks for the transition!
    I think I was at the high end of the "transition" adjustment range; most people seem to adjust much quicker... While I've also eaten a pretty "clean" diet on average over the past 20 years ("clean" as in little processed or packaged foods, but still a bigtime grain eater...), I can say the few months leading up to my PC (Primal Conversion) were definitely loaded with sugary junk food!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    The first two weeks were the hardest for me, and I was fairly low carb to begin with when I started PB. It does get easier. I feel great now, after 6 weeks.

Barb is offline Senior Member
    You mentioned that you are a nurse doing shift work - I assume that means you work nights. That will really wreak havoc on your natural diurnal rhythms and metabolism. Part of the PB is getting lots of sleep, preferably at night when its dark. During the hours of darkness, the body increases the level of melatonin, the brain chemical that promotes sleep and body repair. If you stay up all night with artificial lights, your melatonin levels are suppressed. When I used to work nights, I would take a melatonin supplement when I got home and went to bed to try to counteract the negative effects of being up all night. Also, for the first month of doing PB diet, I did not exercise at all, other than easy walking. I didn't get the energy for more vigorous activity until the second month. Take it easy and hang in there!

Bern is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, unfortunately I do work a combination of 8 and a half hour early and late and 10 hour night shifts! So the quality sleep part of PB is what I have the most difficulty attaining. I notice that by the end of a 2 week stint of nights I feel depressed, groggy and out of it. I'm sure it's the break up of the natural circadian rhythm as well as lack of sunlight!! I hate having no routine in my life and sometimes wonder why I don't pick a job that doesn't require shift working but I love my job and learn so much from it (I work in a busy ED). One day I want to study to become a diabetes nurse educator, through which I can work normal hours. I hope that by then a primal lifestyle is more accepted/preached in mainstream medicine. I would hate to have to work under the nutritional guidelines promoting legumes and low Gi bread as healthy foods for diabetics.

I know will have to look into melatonin supplements, thanks Barb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12