Thread: Good Way to Cook Filet Mignon? page

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member

Good Way to Cook Filet Mignon?

Primal Fuel
    I did a search, but most of the results returned are messages posted by Dinohunter! Come to the dark side .... we have filet mignon. hahaha

So I purchased a whole beef tenderloin, cut it into steaks and cut the tip into chunks, which I can cook into a stew or bourguignon, but I am not sure about the best way to deal with the steaks.

BBQ? Pan seared? Baked? Wrap it in bacon? I have never eaten it before either. Ribeyes -yes, filet -no. Not sure about what to do...

Any advice?
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Throw it on the grill with a little seasoning of your choice. Then melt 1 or 2 Tbsp of butter on it after you take it off the grill.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Very timely question--I snagged a grass-fed tenderloin a while back on sale and finally got around to thawing and cutting it up. So far, I've taken some of the edge steaks, cut them up, and pan seared them in butter over super high heat and then stuck the pan in the oven for a little while. Mmm! Still have the nicer steaks in the freezer though and need to figure out how to cook them. Almost every recipe I find for filet mignon is cooked very rare, but we prefer our meat more on the medium (slightly pink) side. I haven't bought filet in ages because my husband ruined the last ones trying to cook them on the grill. This time I think I'll try a pan sear + oven combo, maybe with the bacon wrap.

meduseld is offline Junior Member

wrap in bacon

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    I did a search, but most of the results returned are messages posted by Dinohunter! Come to the dark side .... we have filet mignon. hahaha

So I purchased a whole beef tenderloin, cut it into steaks and cut the tip into chunks, which I can cook into a stew or bourguignon, but I am not sure about the best way to deal with the steaks.

BBQ? Pan seared? Baked? Wrap it in bacon? I have never eaten it before either. Ribeyes -yes, filet -no. Not sure about what to do...

Any advice?
    If they are not already cut, butterfly them - which means cut really thick steaks and then cut them in half almost the entire way through - leaving a bit attached. You can then open the steak and its larger. Wrap a piece a bacon around the perimeter and secure with a wooden toothpick. Marinate for an hour or so in tamari. Place under broiler until your preference - we like rare. Flip to cook other side. For the last minute of cooking we put a piece of blue cheese on the steak and let the broiler melt that in. Amazing. Our favorite blue is Bleu d'Auvergne - you can try Roquefort or some other strong one.

If you don't use blue cheese you can make a bernaise sauce - alot like a hollandaise but with vinegar and tarrogon and other spices. There are lots of recipes for that on the web. I have figured out how to make it with a really thick bottomed pot on low heat, and then I don't have to use a double boiler. Bon apetit!
    Last edited by meduseld; 11-05-2012 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the methods from all of you! There is enough meat here for me to try them all... and I will too...
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!