Thread: Eggs for home-made mayo page

Drlove is offline Senior Member

Eggs for home-made mayo

Primal Fuel
    Hey,

I thought about pasteurizing the eggs myself.
    In my country we have guidelines that suggest we should cook our eggs and avoid eating them raw.
    Anyway, will putting a few eggs in a bowl, and in the oven for about 70-80 C, (pasteurizing temperature in Celsius). Will it do the trick?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Google "pasteurizing eggs" and you should find instructions. Personally, if I am using good eggs from a farmer I trust, I don't bother. Washing the shell eliminates most of the risk anyhow.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    where do you live? the risk of salmonella from eggs is actually very small.
    Incredible Edible Egg | Eggs | Egg Safety - Eggs & Food Safety

Scientists estimate that, on average across the U.S., only 1 of every 20,000 eggs might contain the bacteria. So, the likelihood that an egg might contain Se is extremely small – 0.005% (five one-thousandths of one percent). At this rate, if you’re an average consumer, you might encounter a contaminated egg once every 84 years.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway