Thread: Do you grind your own beef? page

Nstocks is offline Senior Member

Do you grind your own beef?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,

I was looking over this post about ground beef 5 Meats to Avoid | Mark's Daily Apple

Mark says that ground beef is a meat to avoid because of the methods used to grind it. For instance, it could be ground with the hind, hair, poo or anything else and we wouldn't know. Plus there are suggestions about E coli.

Do you grind your own meats? Should I buy a pack of diced beef instead? The 'whole cut' is very expensive and I can't really afford it. (and would never buy non-organic). Would diced be better than minced because we can 'see' what it is?

Thank you

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    We absolutely grind our beef, pork chicken etc. and of course nuts and seeds after soaking to make our flours

here is a post that gives the particulars!

Meat Grinding | foodfantabulous

Nstocks is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    We absolutely grind our beef, pork chicken etc. and of course nuts and seeds after soaking to make our flours

You know, I would have never thought about using a food processor to grind meat. I always imagined that you HAD to buy a standalone meat grinder. This has just saved me more money!

Thank you!

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    We used to use the food processor to grind up the lower quality cuts like stewing steak. But since falling in love with our slow cooker we prefer the 'unprocessed' version.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post

Oooh, fantastic. I've been buying chuck roasts at WF and, at $3.99/lb, they are half the cost of the grass-fed ground beef I can find. So it occurred to me that if I could just grind up the chuck roast, I could have some awesome ground beef for cheap. I thought I would need to buy a meat grinder, and haven't gotten around to ordering one yet, but if I can just do it in my food processor - awesome!

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Okay Sarah, where the frick in Florida are you? I go to two different WF (Palm Beach Gardens and Wellington), and I've never seen any meat for under $7 / lb. None. Am I just going at a bad time? I keep seeing all these great deals everyone else is getting at WF, but I never get any. Whah!

Now I'm sulking.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    I might be a bit further south than you - I usually just go to Boca. Wellington I've found to be a bit scanty at the meat counter. I get the step 4 beef, it's not 100% grass-fed, but good enough for me at the price. $3.99 is the sale price, but I'm not picky about cuts since my husband wants all beef to be cooked in the crock pot, so I get whatevers on sale that day - and available in the case.

Never been to PBG. Boca, though, has it's own problems

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    I hear ya about the Boca WF. Oof. My mom shops there, and I hear the stories all the time. Incidentally, my parents' restaurant is in Boca, and it's primal-friendly. If you ever need to not cook one day, check out the Boca Beach House. It's all fresh local stuff, and they grow most of it themselves. I wish they were closer to me!

But seriously, I guess I just have to start haunting the WF. Spot the trends and stuff. Like corporate espionage, only for groceries.