Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please rate my squat form! page 2

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    From the looks of it, that's highbar position. If that's what you want to continue to do, you need to be more upright and go deeper.
    Your mechanics look more suited towards lowbar though. The bar needs to travel in a vertical line with respect to the middle of your foot. It looks like you are getting out over your toes which should be avoided. Also, look down towards the ground, not straight ahead. And most importantly, drive up with the hips. It's all about hip drive. Don't think of pressing with your legs, think about driving up with your hips.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Agree with the 'round back comments'. How tight are your calves? Try doing a squat (without weights), on a doorstep, where your heels are sitting on the raised door step. Then lower your bottom, as if to sit in a chair. Chest should be upright. You can also google 'squats with yoga ball'. If you put a yoga ball behind you for support, roll down slowly into the squat position. Other than that, great job! /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I'd keep focus on pushing your chest up. I made the same mistake and when it got heavier, I slightly injured my lower back, and had to deload 40-50lbs. Also I'd try low bar squat, easier on your back imo.
    Billie trips balls

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    I have the same 'chest up' problem. Does anybody have any specific mobility suggestions? I've tried squatting as close to a wall as I can for quite some time now and I'm not making any progress. Any other techniques, stretches, etc?

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatSleepRepeat View Post
    I have the same 'chest up' problem. Does anybody have any specific mobility suggestions? I've tried squatting as close to a wall as I can for quite some time now and I'm not making any progress. Any other techniques, stretches, etc?
    Looking up at the wall cured me of rounded back and leaning forward. Find or place a poster on the wall and focus on it, memorize the phone number or whatever is on it....
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

jakey is offline Senior Member
    it almost seems like you're trying to do a low-bar squat, but with the bar in the high position. if you want to do a high-bar squat, you need to keep your torso more upright, and the mental cue that may work is to keep your chest high. also, do not round out your lower back.

if you do want to try a low-bar squat, take a look at some videos that will show you where to place the bar.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I think the first question you need to answer is whether you want to highbar squat or lowbar? The chest positioning is quite different for both. In a lowbar squat your chest is not upright. Everyone has this image in their head, but its not the case.

Google Image Result for http://www.cflongisland.com/images/uploads/WODs/high_bar_vs_low_bar.jpg

As far as the rounding of the back, which you aren't doing intentionally, widen your stance a little and really push your knees out and focus on keeping your lower back flexed. You can also stretch out your hamstrings, since that is what is causing the rounding, prior to squating.
    Last edited by Fernaldo; 11-05-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatSleepRepeat View Post
    You might not be contracting your abs hard enough to help support your trunk in the correct position.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

Goosejuggler is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Thanks for all the feedback guys!! Super helpful. Some points/questions

- Benefits of highbar vs lowbar
    - Yes I do have mobility issues, hips, hammies, ankles (been checking through mobility wod and entering the pain cave)
    - Looking up or down - contentious issue yes? I know Rip says look down, but I've heard a number of others to look neutral/straight ahead (I think I find it easier to look straight and keep my back up)
    - It is easier with my legs wider - but I'm going on the 'rule' that they should be shoulder width, toes pointed out 30 deg. Should I be focusing on my own biomechanics as opposed to 'perfect form'?
    - Can't film myself with a loaded bar, no gym buddy I'm afraid (thats my hoover attachment :P) Would a sandbag work perhaps?
    - Best exercises to get the appropriate strength - box squats, goblet squats? I got scared off my putting a rise under my heels by Rip - is this perhaps not so bad?

Thanks again all.
    The Paleo Strongwoman - A site dedicated to strength, and feeding strength.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    listen, if you're going to takes rip's cues & advice, you should be doing the squat the way rip intends. you're blending a high bar squat with cues for low-bar squatting which gets messy. for a compare/contrast of high bar and low bar, check out this article: Low Bar vs High Bar Squatting | 70's Big

but if you're going to go off of rip's videos and books, you have to start doing a low bar squat. otherwise, things will get crossed up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast