Thread: A soy question? page

TARNIP is offline Senior Member

A soy question?

Shop Now
    I have been reading about a protein shake that has been highly recommended to me but I have noticed it has soy in it, I sent a query with my concerns about soy mimicing estrogen and this was the reply I received from the manufacturer of the product....

"Hey Tarni – our smoothies have Soy Isolate in – so the estrogen mimicing part is removed – it is only the protein from the soy that is used which doesn’t have the effect of mimicing oestrogen"

Can someone that understands this better than myself please explain if this is correct? I also notice the product contains soy lecithin as well stating that it is used as an "emulsifying agent that can aid the digestive system"

Any info anyone can provide me with would be great as I haven't purchased any due to my soy concerns......

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Is there anything else in this shake that makes it worth chasing after?

It's not so yummy and it can be a pain to clean your blender but whey is consistently the best choice for liquid protein.

Regarding soy products in general, the toxic chemicals used to treat the stuff means there's very little that can ever be considered as "safe soy".

AC

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Why not just use whey or egg protein powder?

Also soy lecithin is just to help mix things that normally would not stay together. Saying that it "aids in digestion" is a load of bunk.
    Emulsion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Never trust the person trying to relive you of your hard earned £££ (or $$$ if your in the US)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I agree, get some good quality whey protein isolate (or egg protein if whey is a no go). You can make a far healthier shake with whey and some good quality ingredients. Mine this morning is whey, banana, coconut milk, water, and pure organic cocoa powder. Much tastier than a packaged shake and with good fat in there too.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TARNIP View Post
    I have been reading about a protein shake that has been highly recommended to me but I have noticed it has soy in it, I sent a query with my concerns about soy mimicing estrogen and this was the reply I received from the manufacturer of the product....

"Hey Tarni – our smoothies have Soy Isolate in – so the estrogen mimicing part is removed – it is only the protein from the soy that is used which doesn’t have the effect of mimicing oestrogen"

Can someone that understands this better than myself please explain if this is correct? I also notice the product contains soy lecithin as well stating that it is used as an "emulsifying agent that can aid the digestive system"

Any info anyone can provide me with would be great as I haven't purchased any due to my soy concerns......
    But what is it being highly recommended FOR? What are they trying to sell you that you can't get from real food?

Seems like a lot of processing and effort goes into making a non-food edible. I'm guessing its a Visalus product...
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Thank you all for your advice :-) It was recommended by a Naturopath as a meal replacement when i am time poor but I think I will stay with my Whey Protein isolate/concentrate. Seems like there are much fewer nasties in that :-)