Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you "patent" a probiotic? page

Drumroll is online now Senior Member

How do you "patent" a probiotic?

Primal Fuel
    Ok, so I just saw an advertisement for a probiotic that has a "patented" strain of probiotics contained in it. My understanding is that a probiotic is a strain of healthy gut bacteria that aids in digestion. So...

How on earth do you patent a living organism, much less a whole "species" of them?

Is this thing some sort of genetically engineered strain of bacteria that they created in a lab? I don't know about you, but if that's the case, then that's a bit scary. Monsanto genetically modified corn is bad enough, now I have to decide if I'm going to put genetically modified bacteria in my body? No thanks, I'll pass.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Exactly... If "patented" means genetically modified I'll pass too!

Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    Exactly... If "patented" means genetically modified I'll pass too!
    We're definitely on the same wavelength here.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member

I've been reading labels on food for forever it seems, bc you never know what they are going to try and sneak in. You can't take for granted that things are what they say they are. From genteically modified, to adding soy to everythingggggg and now it looks like I'll be researching my supplements more closely than I did before.
    This is really getting ridiculous!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Once Monsanto opened the door to the patenting of genetically modified life, it opened the door.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Eek, never really thought about it, and I've been taking a patented probiotic for a number of years. (Digestive Advantage Lactose Intolerance formula, made by Ganeden). I went to their website and apparently they just got their strain recognized as GRAS by the FDA... A little more digging and it sounds like they select strains and genetically identify them (and patent/produce the stronger, more effective ones) , so I really hope that's all there is to it and they're not doing anything else to them. I've been taking their probiotics for at least 6 years and have been really happy with them, they've kept me from relapsing into a recurring SIBO I used to have, and the added lactase enzyme gives me just enough help to be able to have a latte without lactose intolerance symptoms.

I like the idea of natural probiotics from fermented foods like kimchi, kefir, sauerkraut, etc. but I don't get enough of those foods in my diet (yet, I'd like to start making them myself) so I've stayed on the daily probiotic as a failsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Once Monsanto opened the door to the patenting of genetically modified life, it opened the door.
    This is true... It's really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post

I've been reading labels on food for forever it seems, bc you never know what they are going to try and sneak in. You can't take for granted that things are what they say they are. From genteically modified, to adding soy to everythingggggg and now it looks like I'll be researching my supplements more closely than I did before.
    This is really getting ridiculous!
    Yeah, I'm with ya on that one. I don't want genetically engeneered plants in me, much less BACTERIA. This is getting a little more than scary here. I will be researching supplements very closely from now on, even more so than before.

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    How on earth do you patent a living organism, much less a whole "species" of them?
    Most likely, the patent refers to a specific method of packaging it up in a saleable form, not to the "ogranism" itself.

BTW, everything on this planet is already "genetically modified", that in and of itself is no reason to stay away from anything.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post

BTW, everything on this planet is already "genetically modified", that in and of itself is no reason to stay away from anything.
    Yeah, but it's "genetically modified" in that one generation after another picked the biggest, brightest, tastiest fruit/vegetable/cattle specimen and bred it preferentially. It's not modified in a "let's inject this pineapple with an elephant gene" kind of way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast