Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my push up, sit up, AND run time WORSENED!?!? page

breetbree is offline Senior Member

my push up, sit up, AND run time WORSENED!?!?

a few months ago, is when i last recorded my 1 mile run, 1 minute of push ups, and 1 minute of situps. my situps went down four, my pushups went down 5, and my run time increased by about 45 seconds!!! i've worked out 2-3+ times each week since! and i've included running and a ton of calisthenics! how did my scores go down??? i was so surprised that all of my scores actually worsened from a few months ago :(

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe you need a break and a carb reefed. Look up carb reefed on this site and you'll get a lot of answers, but essentially, you eat a lot of carbs and a little fat after a really big workout to refill your glycogen stores. Also, you might just need a break to let your body heal itself. Spend a week doing nothing but low level activity and let your body do it's thing in the way of repairs. I bet if you do you will experience some strength gains. Good luck and keep at it!

Chaloney is offline Member
    You were probably better rested the first time you tested. Take a few days off and retest. Also for sit-ups and push-ups you may be using a more strict technique.

nojoke is offline Member
    off day.....they happen.

Meatgrrrl is offline Senior Member
    Off days do happen.
    In my experience of being a previous major gym bunny and runner, there was a point a few weeks after starting something where my performance declined and then improved a few weeks later. I think it's possibly to do with carbs, with learning, with energy, with processing what you know etc. Some days you just don't 'have it'... others you do.
    I'd break from those particular exercises for a week or so and do something else and then come back to it.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    As others have said, could just have been an off day. The one thing you don't mention is what you've actually done during those few months. Have you been improving week on week or just going through the motions?

i don't know if i'm improving, i usually don't count reps, just do max sets. and i definitely do have off days. some times i'll workout M W F and take tuesday, thursday, saturday and sunday off. i thought that'd be definitely enough rest considering i'm only doing calisthenics. and i usually drink a bit of water after working out too, what do you recommend for carbs or just in general what to eat post-workout?

hazmatt is offline Junior Member
    I would not worry to much about the numbers. Unless you a pt test coming. You were either having an off day or maybe just not specifically targeting the timed cals and run if your training for general fitness do not be too concerned. If you do have a pt test military.com has plenty of pft specific improvement programs. Best of luck to you either way.

steve.mull is offline Member
    Don't forget temperature has a role as well. My pt test in the summer was considerably better than in winter

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i was thinking what steve said too. i believe it was about 30 degrees out if i remember the sergeant correctly. might be because i've been focusing less on push ups and situps. i've been doing a lot of both but integrating pull ups chin ups and all of that but since it's not just push ups/ sit ups i'm doing, maybe that's why? i'm enlisting next month and they're going to expect me to pass everything...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast