Thread: Sunchokes? page

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member

Sunchokes?

Shop Now
    Are they any good? Saw some for sale at Planet Organic. I just quickly googled them and it looks like they can produce some pretty nasty side effects in some people. Is that common? If you eat them, how do you prepare them and, more importantly, how do you avoid wasting half when you peel them (they look quite knobby)?

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    I bought some at the Farmers' Market a while back, and asked the farmers about how to prep them. They said no peeling is needed as they're so thin skinned, just give a good scrub. I sliced them and pan fried in duck fat with just sea salt & pepper, they tasted AMAZING. One of my teenagers tried some, said they were like the best french fries ever.

I read also that they can be extremely gas producing. And I agree. Although I thoroughly enjoyed them, I had a lot of gas that evening, fortunately I was home alone . I would try them again, but be prepared for some potential discomfort. Then again, it apparently doesn't happen to everyone. Maybe more of a scrub to get rid of the skins would help? I hear they also make an amazing puree.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I buy mine at our farmers market and I love them - the family are not so convinced but I'll keep serving them up anyway!

I havn't really had much of a gut reaction to them, I'd say that generally I'm far less gassy on Primal anyway. I think if you cook them well, this reduces the gassy part to an extent.

They make a lovely velvety soup, just boil up in some stock with garlic and then puree. They can also be roasted nicely, I just pop them into the roasting tray with whatever meat is in there and make sure they are well coated with the juices/fat in the tray.

Apparently they grow very easily in the garden, but they're not something I've tried to grow yet.

sharoninboulder is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    I bought some at the Farmers' Market a while back, and asked the farmers about how to prep them. They said no peeling is needed as they're so thin skinned, just give a good scrub. I sliced them and pan fried in duck fat with just sea salt & pepper, they tasted AMAZING. One of my teenagers tried some, said they were like the best french fries ever.

I read also that they can be extremely gas producing. And I agree. Although I thoroughly enjoyed them, I had a lot of gas that evening, fortunately I was home alone . I would try them again, but be prepared for some potential discomfort. Then again, it apparently doesn't happen to everyone. Maybe more of a scrub to get rid of the skins would help? I hear they also make an amazing puree.
    They contain a carbohydrate called inulin which humans can't digest. Bacteria can, hence the gassiness. Getting rid of the skins won't help. Inulin is the carbohydate this sunflower uses to store energy in its tubers. It's found in other foods too, like garlic and onions.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Is that damaging to the gut in any way? Just curious if this is going to be the equivalent of eating beans with all the toxins involved, in which case, I shan't go down that road....

paleodutch is online now Senior Member
    Search the main site, Mark recommends them and has a recipe, search for Jerusalem artichoke.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I've eaten them pre-primal and primal, and they always give me the symptoms they warn you about. As a minor ingredient in a hearty soup or stew they are fine. As a main ingredient? Holy shit.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes