Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So... Eggshells in smoothies? page

Phresh is offline Member

So... Eggshells in smoothies?

Anyone ever done it? I just threw three whole eggs in the smoothie I was making, raw. My blender doesn't seem to blend the eggs up well on its own (they just stick to the sides). But I can drink the little pieces it makes up easy.

I read on the website post, that they should be soaked in lemon juice to change the calcium. Is this necessary? I got berries in my smoothie.. if that changes anything.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Uh, I hope you're washing the eggs very thoroughly. If not, that's a case of poisoning waiting to happen. As for eggshells, whatever floats your boat. I knew a kid that liked eating boogers.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

neowild is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I knew a kid that liked eating boogers.
    Come now, Damiana, quit talking 'bout yourself. Heh.

I'm with Damiana, if it floats your boat, make sure you thoroughly wash 'em. The extra calcium in sardines is what floats my boat.

Phresh is offline Member
    Wash 'em? Like just the outside egg shell?

They're pastured. Either way I don't really care, unless there's something super bad I'm unaware of that would be on the egg shell.

I eat sardines sometimes too.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phresh View Post

They're pastured. Either way I don't really care, unless there's something super bad I'm unaware of that would be on the egg shell.

Considering the eggs come out the same hole as the chicken poo and they aren't always washed because it removes the 'bloom' that protects the inside of the egg from bacteria~ I'd drop them in boiling water for a few seconds, just to be sure.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I used to make my own calcium supplement from eggshell, but every source I ever came across for how to do this ALWAYS said to heat treat the eggshells (in boiling water or the oven) to disinfect the fecal matter/other gross bacteria contamination others mentioned. If you really want to make use of that calcium, why not use the eggshells to make a calcium supplement?

Dear Mark: Egg Shell Calcium, Fully Hydrogenated Oils, HG Walking, Gorging, and Frozen Produce | Mark's Daily Apple

How to Make Calcium using Egg Shells

Phresh is offline Member
    Cause it's easier to throw them in a blender and blend. Portable, quick, no prep required. I get what you're all saying but I suppose I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing unless I see some hard evidence that my health is being negatively affected by "gross bacteria". I think I do enough "gross" things and haven't been sick in years.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Cause it's easier to throw them in a blender and blend. Portable, quick, no prep required. I get what you're all saying but I suppose I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing unless I see some hard evidence that my health is being negatively affected by "gross bacteria". I think I do enough "gross" things and haven't been sick in years.
    Take two seconds to google 'bacterial contamination of eggshells', I'm sure you'll find plenty of hard evidence. But you clearly don't care, so I'm not sure why you even bothered to post. Have fun in the emergency room.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member

aaahhhh, chicken shit on the shells?
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Phresh is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Take two seconds to google 'bacterial contamination of eggshells', I'm sure you'll find plenty of hard evidence. But you clearly don't care, so I'm not sure why you even bothered to post. Have fun in the emergency room.
    I was just asking about the calcium. I appreciate the tidbit about feces, and I was not trying to be "rude". I just like talking about things I guess.

Anyways - I've eaten much worse, never gotten sick much less had to go to the emergency room for it. I think I'll be okay.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast