Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal on a budget with a big ol family? page 2

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I am feeding a bottomless pit husband, 2 teens (one of whom is picky), and one big eating 9 year old. I also feed random nephews and neices who show up (Although most of them think we eat wierd health food). I do not buy grassfed meat. I buy pork and chicken from Costco and my beef I buy at a local butcher who sells 100% pure American beef at least. I buy organic produce when I can in season. I mostly buy what is on sale or season organic or not. We do dairy and I buy raw organic milk (one place is pure grassfed but they are drying out their cow soon) or if I can't get there to pick that up I buy a locally produced milk that I trust to be decent. Sometimes I buy nice local raw cheese but more often than not it is Cabot cheeses, my husband works there. I can buy local free range eggs at the local store that are laid at the property next to our goat pasture, but sometimes I supplement those with store bought eggs. Like someone else said I make a lot of ground beef meals and most of my meals the meat is an ingredient. It is rare to get a big slab of meat on your plate, I just can't afford that. Steaks and stuff are a treat.

THis is the best I can do right now and even sometimes this is hard but I am trying

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    The Dirty Dozen Plus: 14 Foods You Should Buy Organic | Eating Well

If you have the freezer space, seriously consider purchasing 1/4-1/2 cow for huge savings. Does your husband hunt? There is always venison. Also look for deals on frozen fruits and vegetables. They might not have the same texture, but the nutrition is there.

I hope your brother buys his own ramen and soda! Good luck to you.
    Who says ladies can't hunt?

springdragon2727 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone for your response....oddly enough, I thought I had it set to tell me immediately when people posted....and it never alerted me, so I didn' see any of the thread responses until NOW.

we are considering the 1/4 cow. My brother does work, and is paying us rent/food money/etc. He can eat a ton of food. I hope that this current job for him lasts at least 5 months....this next year, I am seriously going to broach him moving on. But that is a whole gripe in itself and will resolve eventually. Hell yes, he buys his own ramen and soda, lol, I refuse to buy that stuff for anyone!

Hunting would be awesome, and lol, my hubby does not hunt. In fact, I would be better at it than him (ethically, using all the game meat, etc).Its NOT out of the realm of idea, but then would be another financial hobby that I am not ready to invest in yet.

I have opted to keep along with my bulk meat purchases from costco, with the seafood being "wild". I get the sausage, bacon, hot dogs, pepperoni from Whole Foods (nitrite free). Dairy is organic or grassfed. Some veggies are organic (costco broccoli, frozen blueberries) but am still buying some "death" food (as I term it) until finances open up.

Kids will not go primal right now. One barely eats as it is....his peanut butter has gone from the artificial stuff to the natural stuff, and that was a switch for him. I am in the process of hiding veggies in his food (pumpkin puree) and i know that yall shudder at oatmeal and beans, but he is eating bean and oat waffles...so I consider that a success right now, because he will retch at the thought of eating meat (I think its the texture) and veggies are a joke. (this is my 5 year old). And I know that y'all freak out over Shakeology, but he gets some veggie nutrition that way and allows him to take a regular bowel movement without straining. Small steps in his case.

My daughter chooses to eat more healthy, opting for carrot sticks and apples, and can be taught to eat primal. The youngest is built like an ox and eats everything and anything, not as much with the veggies, but he is not adverse to it.

I am going to see how primal treats my husband and I...then we shall see about adding longevity to the program....this is all quite new to me so i am doing my research and biding my time.

Oh, and my chickens are not putting out as many eggs. Gotta go give them the "talk".

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Wow, I feel stressed whenever my household increases to 5 with visitors, and for you it is a starting point! Hats off! I hope other people help you with cooking!

For a family of 3 with the occasional relatives visiting, I buy 1/2 cow and 1 pig. I buy chickens from a local farm. And whenever there is a holiday I load up on turkeys. Same with salmon.

One huge saver for me is using the offal and things like fish heads and tails.

I always buy produce on 50% off sales, and/or the cheapest veggies available and make do. I am big on freezing, and home preserving ( I do not can, just store stuff like pumpkin and apple butter in the spare fridge).

If I were to stretch the budget, I would turn to beans and potatoes to supplement the diet. Those are not grass-fed beef or wild salmon, but nutritionally sound and unless you have specific issues, I believe the human ability to derive good nutrients and satiation from those foods. I am less hot on rice, for the difference in price I would go to millet, personally, but rice will be okay too). My problem with rice is that it doesn't give high satiation bang for caloric buck. But it's cheap.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Dang, leida, other people were telling me to GO for the rice, lol. but my mom and brother will eat whatever i put in front of the, and NO, they don't cook as often as they should. My mom would if I asked her to, and I ask her to make specific meals, but she reverts to death foods (as I call them) so we still have canola oil in the house (she will use that) and will make things that I will not eat (with white flour or white sugar, which they buy). sadly, her cooking has never been very impressive, so I can't expect a lot NOW with her set in her ways.

My brother cannot do much more than top ramen with an egg boiled in. when there are no available leftovers, he will hop in his car (he works from home...MY HOME, he is ALWaS HERE) and grab a bag of fast food.

once, i made home made clam chowder. shocked the crap out of them that I actually MADE it, not poured it from a can, lol.

I have a buddy that runs a pumpkin farm...I asked if I could buy some of her pumpkns and she is going to give me a ton so I can puree them all down and pop them in the freezer. Next growing season, I hope to put out some magic in my garden and see what I can grow in the texas heat besides tomatoes and basil (my favorites). Gonna try for zucchini and squash, and get the blackberries running!

Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Wow, I feel stressed whenever my household increases to 5 with visitors, and for you it is a starting point! Hats off! I hope other people help you with cooking!

For a family of 3 with the occasional relatives visiting, I buy 1/2 cow and 1 pig. I buy chickens from a local farm. And whenever there is a holiday I load up on turkeys. Same with salmon.

One huge saver for me is using the offal and things like fish heads and tails.

I always buy produce on 50% off sales, and/or the cheapest veggies available and make do. I am big on freezing, and home preserving ( I do not can, just store stuff like pumpkin and apple butter in the spare fridge).

If I were to stretch the budget, I would turn to beans and potatoes to supplement the diet. Those are not grass-fed beef or wild salmon, but nutritionally sound and unless you have specific issues, I believe the human ability to derive good nutrients and satiation from those foods. I am less hot on rice, for the difference in price I would go to millet, personally, but rice will be okay too). My problem with rice is that it doesn't give high satiation bang for caloric buck. But it's cheap.

ajb0203 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by springdragon2727 View Post
    Hunting . . .Its NOT out of the realm of idea, but then would be another financial hobby that I am not ready to invest in yet.
    hee hee. I know that's right. We're eating an extremely expensive bunch of venison right now, when you factor in the tree stand, deer blind, cameras, corn, traded in/upgraded gun, trips to review the cameras and lay down corn and site in the gun, ammo, camo gear. My son shot his first buck (early season) & it had a very nice rack so DH wanted to get it mounted for him. . . If both my son and husband shoot the three tags they have left we might come closer to breaking even.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Lol, I am starting to think we can relate. I am blessed with mom who makes vegetarian pizza 'with a bit of bacon' and mother in law who could not figure out why people don't like the noodle soup on day two after cooking (same noodles, right?)

Don't worry too much about rice - if folks like it, go for it, it's cheap and non-toxic. I just find that many folks with the notable exception of buddist monks don't get full on it, hence the huge portions in the restaurants.

I bought a couple of pumpkins + we grew one, and roasted it then slow-cooked it into puree with spices and orange juice concentrate. As a matter of fact I am making pumpkin soup tonight from one of the jars!

Wow, I have the opposite problem with growing. We are in Calgary, so I am paranoid about hardy, but I have tomatoes and basil too (bunch of other stuff!). I am big on growing berries and small fruit because they are easy to freeze and they cost a fortune. Plus, I love having root vegetables, because they taste AWSOME! Peas and beans because they are purty! (I inter plant with sweet peas for color on the trellises). I just LOVE growing our food, I think it really engages my wee one
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

camel is offline Senior Member
    Substitutions:
    Instead of bread and pasta for filler substitute potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice
    Instead of processed quick foods make home made
    Instead if store bought yogurt, make your own (cheaper, healthier)
    Fruit instead of desserts, cookies.
    Fat is a cheap calorie source, consume healthy fats
    Bulk with veggies - stir frys, casseroles with tons of veggies baked in.
    Water and herbal teas (chilled makes a nice drink) instead of sugary sodas and juices.
    Eggs are awesome and cheap
    If you need more cheap protein look at preparing beans correctly to remove toxins

You will avoid a lot of crap just cutting out vegetable oils (except olive) and wheat and refined and processed foods.

mamagault is offline Member
    I have 5 boys, and we all eat varying degrees of paleo or primal. My dh is pretty strict paleo, but the kids and I do eat some dairy. We spend about $1000 on groceries (includes paper goods like TP and paper towels, disposable diapers for nights, cleaning products, etc).

We do not eat a ton of organic. Nor do we eat as much grassfed meats as we'd like, simply from a cost perspective. Here's what we do, though.

We live in the country, so we have chickens for eggs (and supplement by buying eggs from a neighbor). We also have had goats for the dairy, but we don't have any at the moment (our neighbor will give us extra milk if she has any, but that's dried up until spring). We have a butcher fairly close to us that sells bundles of locally raised meats, so we get a beef bundle and a pork bundle (about $140 total) every couple of months, plus we buy chicken thighs and whole chickens at Costco. Before we discovered the butcher, we did a ton of ground beef, some cheaper pork cuts (Boston Butt and center cut pork loins that we cut into roasts and chops), and the chicken products. In the summer, we bought veggies from the farmer's market, which really helped cut grocery costs (was more like $900 per month instead). We are planning a huge garden for next year so we can can and freeze a bunch of our food. My husband also hunts and tries to supplement the meat with venison (oldest would like to hunt squirrels and rabbits but hasn't gone yet).

I buy bulk as much as I can, too, because that helps a ton. I have been known to make rice to stretch a meal for hungry growing boys. The adults don't typically eat any grains, though. I agree with weird meat cuts. I got 2 beef hearts for a little under $3 the other day. And I've found different kinds of ribs marked down that were absolutely delicious. Our butcher sells beef liver for $1.49/lb, which is a steal, and we eat that about once a week.

I have a small blog that doesn't get updated terribly regularly, but it has menus on it that we use (with links), in case you want to know more specifics on what we do with our giant crew. Ezekiel's Garden

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Substitutions:
    Instead of bread and pasta for filler substitute potatoes, sweet potatoes and rice
    Instead of processed quick foods make home made
    Instead if store bought yogurt, make your own (cheaper, healthier)
    Fruit instead of desserts, cookies.
    Fat is a cheap calorie source, consume healthy fats
    Bulk with veggies - stir frys, casseroles with tons of veggies baked in.
    Water and herbal teas (chilled makes a nice drink) instead of sugary sodas and juices.
    Eggs are awesome and cheap
    If you need more cheap protein look at preparing beans correctly to remove toxins

You will avoid a lot of crap just cutting out vegetable oils (except olive) and wheat and refined and processed foods.
    We already hit a lot of these marks. Just got a big family to feed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast