Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is beef broth really that gross? page

Dynamo is offline Member

Is beef broth really that gross?

Shop Now
    I noticed that many of you have a VERY open mind when it comes to food! I cannot believe what read that some of you are eating! LOL! More power to you! I, personally, am a very picky eater and get grossed out rather easily. I am dying to make beef bone stock/broth (have made chicken stock but am having a hard time finding a place that sells chicken bones).

During my search I read a blog where the blogger stated that during the cooking process, beef broth is pretty gross looking and doesn't smell good. Egad. (She was trying to warn us so that we didn't think something was wrong. She assured the readers that the finish product looks and tastes good

Relatively speaking would you agree with this blogger? If this is the case, I am thinking I should not even bother. (Don't even ask me to taste bone marrow! Yikes!!!

Oh, does roasting the bones first help with the disgusting image and smell?

Thank you in advance!!!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i think it partly depends on how easily you're grossed out (and yeah, roasting the bones and salting the water make it taste great) it just smells like cooking meat to me

it's just a pot of bones and brown water and a glistening fat layer on top, with bits of meat swimming throughout

the ONLY time i was ever grossed out was when i tossed a chicken neck in the pot (along with chicken hearts and a ton of meaty bones). when the neck broke down i could see the esophagus and that was gross

but it was the best tasting broth i'd ever made
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Dynamo is offline Member
    I was really enjoying your post till I got to the chicken neck part! Ewwwww!!!!!!!!!

I can handle a pot of bones, brown water, and the smell of meat cooking

Thanks for sharing your experience...sans the esophagus comment...again...EWWWWWW!!!!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    yeah but it was delicioush
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Dynamo, it's not the food that is gross. It's you who are grossing yourself out. I can do the same with common vegetables:

"I cannot believe that some of you eat roots of plants.... EWWWW!!! Don't you realize that those have been buried in the ground!!!!! I used to work on a farm and do you know what farmers use to make the soil better? POO! So y'all really eat roots of plants that have been growing in sewage! Yukkkkk! I know you wash it, but, geez, you can't get wash everything off, you know. Oh and there's also BUGS crawling around with those roots and sometimes those bugs even eat THE SAME THING YOU'RE EATING! You're sharing a meal with bugs! EWWWWW!" & etc.

Seems kind of silly doesn't it?

Dynamo is offline Member
    Bloodorchid! STOP it!!!! LOL! Hey, love your tag line...think I am going to steal it

Dynamo is offline Member
    Sara Sue! Right you are!!!! No question about it!!!!! I am seriously grossing myself out and I know it! The first time I made my chicken bone broth I nearly vomited at several points....LOL....I had to talk myself off the ledge...it turned out delish, but one batch had nearly a putrid smell (for whatever reason). It is so funny to read about your "ewwww" to vegetables! But...now that you pointed that out, I can seriously see where my brain could have "gone there" as well. LOL. I have come "a long way baby" but dear lord some of the people on this forum (ok...most ) are so OPEN minded to trying new things! Eating bone marrow? Ewwwwww! LOL.

One step at a time....

Thanks for sharing this great story, BTW! Yes...it did put things - somewhat - in perspective

Dynamo is offline Member
    Oh...not that it is relevant....my mother "made" me eat stuff as a kid. Once she fed me tuna fish and topped it with grape jelly thinking she could "hide" the tuna/flavor. I vomited. I was about 5. I never forced my kids to eat anything they didn't want to and both of my sons are SO much more open minded to food than I am! My oldest was a pickier eater than me and now he will try just about ANYTHING! (He has tasted squid, alligator, raw fish, etc. Not in my lifetime...)

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    Beef broth is just not pretty to make. A lot of good food is not pretty. We modern people are just used to our food coming all packed up looking pretty, neat, tidy and sanitary. Meats look nothing like what they came from. Veggies are washed and trimmed. We are used to pale sad stocks in a can that barely resemble their traditional counterparts. We don't see the offal, or the process from living critter, to final product.

It is just something you have to acclimate yourself to. I have made a few things that I just could not bring myself to eat because of the squeemish factor. But now I can eat them with out a problem. I just had to expose myself to them and make peace with them.

Give homemade beef broth a try, it takes a little more work than chicken but it will make a delicious addition to a beef and mushroom soup, a beefy sauce, or whatever you might like it for.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo View Post
    I was really enjoying your post till I got to the chicken neck part! Ewwwww!!!!!!!!!
    Not had chicken neck but when I cook a turkey the neck is part of the stock/gravy the meat is divine.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast