Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Theory of Obesity/Metabolic Syndrome and its treatment page 3

SJW2 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paysan View Post
    One thing no one is touching with a 10 foot pole is epigenetics, or, what your grandmother ate while carrying your parent is affecting you today. I grew fat on breast milk; my Dad was a 14 1/2 lb whopper at birth, but no diabetes in his family. I am built like his mother, an was always compared to her girth, yet our diets were not that similar. But both my dad and I were born during the privations of world wars. I'm sure that counts for something.
    Epigenetics is an important factor. I've heard it mentioned. But obviously as time goes on, it plays an increasingly important role. Pretty scary.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Processed carbs in general is the Devil lurking behind the obesity epidemy! They may come in the form of white sugar, HFCS, wheat products, or a bag of potato-chips ect and they will make you overeat for some unknown reason...

SJW2 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    Processed carbs in general is the Devil lurking behind the obesity epidemy! They may come in the form of white sugar, HFCS, wheat products, or a bag of potato-chips ect and they will make you overeat for some unknown reason...
    I certainly agree these are huge factors. As far as why they make you overeat...

I read that gliadin in wheat binds to opiate receptors inducing increased hunger. Wheat in addition to other refined carbohydrates cause reactive hypoglycemic induced hunger. These foods have less fiber that results in decreased satiety.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I agree that processed carbs, wheat, epigenetics, cheapness of junk food as mentioned above are all factors.

Other factors are sedentary lifestyles, cheap mass entertainment, the dominance of the motor car and all of life's modern conveniences, which have decreased calories out. The muscles are an endocrine organ, and when they're underused, that contributes to a messed up metabolism.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    If you eat nothing but meat and vegetable -- your HDL will increase, your TRI will crash, and your fasting blood sugar will crash. By definition you will no longer have metabolic syndrome. Not complex.

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    Necromancer!

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    ahahahahaha
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Black Timber is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    If you eat nothing but meat and vegetable -- your HDL will increase, your TRI will crash, and your fasting blood sugar will crash. By definition you will no longer have metabolic syndrome. Not complex.
    Now you've done it! We will now have to read the pseudo science filled diatribes from the angry psychopaths from the dark side. Not that there is anything wrong with that
    Some of you may die, but that is a risk I'm willing to take.

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    I would hope that I am pretty well-versed in metabolic syndrome, so here are my 2c

There does exist a pretty solid consensus on the role of the carbs and insulin theory, however I do not feel that this is the whole story....the reason for this is that there are no physiological reasons why the pathway JSW has peer-reviewed, given a very 6th grader treatment by Lustig, leads to ALL of the symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Simply taking in carbs, glucose in its purest forms even minus fiber, should not cause the metabolic cascade of insulin resistance and cardiovascular sclerosis indicative of the disease. The human body is masterful at processing glucose, as it is the most energy dense, preferred fuel of every cell in the body. It yields 36 ATP per cycle of glycolysis, vs I believe 4 ATP for both beta-oxidation (lipid) and anaerobic creatine reactions (sprints). I am not convinced, as I do not believe the scientific community is, that these processes alone are the rote mechanisms of resistance.

I believe that these studies are a classic case of correlation yielding wishes of causation. Yes, we DO find all of these pathways at work (JSW's Lustig pathway) in those with the disease state, with the liver being taken as the epicenter for what ends up being pancreatic resistance, but this does not mean that the excess insulin/glucose theory LEADS to disease....in much the same way that high cholesterol is FOUND alongside patients with severe atherosclerotic and myocardial pathology, it is more and more proving to be exactly that; a ride-along, not a cause.

I believe, and counsel people as such, that it is in fact a "staged-mechanism" disease. First, a calorie-dense environment of BOTH high sucrose and fat must be present, which overwhelms mitochondrial function as well as the ability for the liver to synthesize fats normally. This leads to a micro-cirrhotic state of the liver, in which PUFA and its inflammatory cascade are allowed to run unchecked....this leads to damage to the vessel walls, the hallmark of metabolic syndrome at the vascular level, but NOT alone due to the glucose toxicity, rather a combination of an inflamed system (from the oxidative cascade being misregulated) now being damaged by something it can normally handle in a masterclass, glucose.

The calling card of the metabolic syndrome cardiovascular system is not, in heart surgeries I have seen with my own eyes, an excess of plaque build-up, as some of the CW would have people believe....the giveaway is just how NARROW their vessels are, due to the vessel basement membrane thickening and pericyte regulator loss over time....in short, it is the inflammation, not the thing actually clogging things up.

As far as causes, I blame it mostly on the hyper-palatability of so many foods that are extremely high in both sugar and fat, especially in regards to PUFA. I believe that even a diet very high in sugar, but low on these fats, would lead to slightly decreased insulin sensitivity by default, but not a disease state. I believe that a diet VERY high in concentrated sugars though, such as those found in sodas and some baby formula, can also overwhelm the system with sheer numbers....this accounts for what started all of Lustig's work as a pediatric endocrinologist: How do you get a 6 month old with metabolic syndrome? There is no PUFA, no candy, no soda....the answer is sucrose in outrageous numbers, found via baby formula cranked full of corn syrup.....in short, either one will get you to the disease state, but the adult inflammatory one I outlined is the shorter route.

As for how I go after it, that would take another novel, and I have laid it out before
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

otzi Guest

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast