Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is our thread...you all stay out! page

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member

This is our thread...you all stay out!

So I've noticed a bit of a trend in some threads lately. Started with the iodine thread, leptin, cold water, now tators. Seems some people don't like anyone coming on "THEIR THREAD" and spreading *the horror* other ideas! I may be lost on forum etiquette, but I thought much of what we write was open to interpretation and analysis and hopefully even a bit of constructive criticism.

I see all kinds of weird stuff....not to single out the tator thread, but thats just the most recent place. Posters complaining that anyone offer a logical physiological mechanism or *gasp* suggesting you change it up by adding fat to the tator! Yeah, some fella was laying into another poster for actually adding a bit of fat to get through yet another day of tators. Oh Noooooos! BTW I actually haven't seen Otzi becoming Grizz or anything....its mainly some of the Johnny come late-lies.

Anyone wanna clear this up for me. I mean if you want closed community of people not open to outside influence or ideas....well that sounds like a good way to delude yourself, but maybe not the best way to learn. And no I don't think you can say the same of this forum as a whole considering the variety of POV and articles shared. Guess my point is YOUR thread is on THIS forum.....ITS NOT YOURS EXCLUSIVELY (unless I'm wrong....as I said, I haven't read the book on forum etiquette).

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Every forum I've been a part of has this kind of thing going on. It's annoying, but there will always be folks out there who think their way is the ONLY way.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    This is complete BS. They are not even close in any sense of the word "fairly high in protein"...And YES that is all the potato thing is.....a low calorie diet. Get real. What else did you think it was. Damn Tator Nazis.
    Really? You have to ask?

You have more time on your hands than I thought.

So name call and bash "what you think is stupid" all you want, then get back to creating
    some really valid threads, like this one.

Good job, you got the attention you so desperately need.

High five.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    I think people get protective of their threads....there's a big difference between:

"This is interesting in theory, but have you considered that it might not be a good idea due to x, y, and z."

and

"You guys are all morons for trying something so obviously stupid and pointless."

I think people should definitely jump in on threads and offer differing opinions, especially if they can back it up with evidence, but even if they can't. There's just a way to go about it that doesn't get people's panties in a bunch.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Really? You have to ask?

You have more time on your hands than I thought.

So name call and bash "what you think is stupid" all you want, then get back to creating
    some really valid threads, like this one.

Good job, you got the attention you so desperately need.

High five.
    Yes, you quote my response to one person telling another that if they added any fat to the potato (by the way said poster did so on like day 4 ONE TIME just to get through and on to the next day). He tells that poster they may as well just go eat some bags of potato chips if they aren't gonna do it right! LOL. Hey read more than one comment and you might be able to follow the conversation. Thats OK, I'm sure you were pressed for time......

Meh, it's ok. I shoulda made this about the leptin and iodine thread. The tator thing seems to emotional for some to discuss at this time.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Wow, more superfluous, derisive combativeness.

SURPRISE!

not.

otzi Guest
    Neckhammer - You are right, people do get that way. I tried real hard not to on the 'Tater' thread because I saw it first hand so many times in other threads. I really didn't think the tater thing would take off like it did. You may want to go read the post I'm about to make over there, it will make more sense.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    InSearchOfAbs, what Neckhammer pointed out (in a quite "brutal" way let's say) is just the truth.

otzi and other osters don't stop repeating that potatoes are "fairly high in proteins", I mean:
    This hack works because it's calorie restriction and you (pretendly I think it depends on people) don't feel the hunger.
    There's nothing magical about the whole "amino acids" explanation that preserve muscle mass, if so many people would just swallow some BCAA pills and fast for weeks and weeks to get the looks they desire.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I understand posters getting offended by inflammatory posts, but I think the "troll!" label has been too often thrown at people who are trying to express concerns, suggest options, or question the science behind a given board fad (and that's not to denigrate some of those ideas, just the way people get hyped up about vitamin D/iodine/cold water/potatoes/leptin reset/deep ketosis/carb cycling...).

I think rational questioning shouldn't be met with "well, if you don't want to do it, don't, and shut up!" or "you just hate (carbs/fat/supplements)" or "it's OUR thread, start your own if you want to question this!" The point of a forum is to discuss, and sometimes discussion includes questioning or sometimes even (hopefully respectful) arguments. If your idea can't stand up to someone questioning it, then perhaps you need to look at the support for and validity of that idea. If you have good facts and science to back it, then it should be able to stand up to reasonable inquiries, perhaps not without a shadow of a doubt, but certainly enough to look like a valid scientific hypothesis and not another magic pill solution.

Also, someone questioning HOW something works is not the same as them questioning WHETHER it works. One is examining the mechanism, while the other is doubting the existence of any effect at all. Many people confuse the two.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast