Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This is our thread...you all stay out! page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Wow, more superfluous, derisive combativeness.

SURPRISE!

not.
    Seems you have plenty of time to kill yourself . Thank you so much for visiting us here on our thread.

BTW ....that last sentence I wrote is really what use to erk me when Grizz would write it.

I will repeat Otzi IS NOT Grizz......I like ya Otzi. Otzi has actually never claimed to be the messiah, and he himself has always presented as being quite open to experimentation (changing the tator diet up) and to suggestions as to mechanisms.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    What Owly posted sums it up perfectly.
    Thank you.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Civility is sorely lacking in general, and when online, people really get nasty. I can see both sides of this argument.

On the one hand, yes, people of opposing views should be welcome and not trounced on for expressing them. On the other hand, using the anonymity to post in a thread that "everyone is stupid" is cowardly and deserves a dressing down by others.

Simply put, "do unto others, etc.," and mostly things go well. I'd guess that the majority of the posters here practice that, but that they can also get pretty pissed off when the same is not returned to them.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Civility is sorely lacking in general, and when online, people really get nasty. I can see both sides of this argument.

On the one hand, yes, people of opposing views should be welcome and not trounced on for expressing them. On the other hand, using the anonymity to post in a thread that "everyone is stupid" is cowardly and deserves a dressing down by others.

Simply put, "do unto others, etc.," and mostly things go well. I'd guess that the majority of the posters here practice that, but that they can also get pretty pissed off when the same is not returned to them.
    Yeah, I agree. You and owly both make good posts. And daydreamer I didn't mean to be so "brutal" .

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    When the "Tator" diet originally sprung up in another thread, back before it had it's own, I shared my qualms with the idea with Otzi and the few who were already jumping on board... and already felt the backlash for my dissent.

My issues were that it was essentially a crash diet.
    A temporary period of eating the same bland food repetitiously so that one might be bored and achieve a caloric deficit.
    This type of DIET has been in circulation in 1000 different guises since the 60s-70s (earlier?)... Grapefruit, Cabbage soup... etc.
    I'd argue, and did, that as a sheer caloric deficit diet the Cabbage Soup diet would be healthier... especially given organic vegetables/fruits and non CAFO meats.

I also had a problem with the initial (still?) calling of the potato... "magical"...
    It's not. It's a potato.
    It has 3gm of protein per 100gm...
    (Also, it's a vegetable... the body cannot utilize all of the protein... it can actually only utilize a fraction of it- half or less.)
    While some people like to claim that its a "complete protein", it's really only technically complete. Some of the amino acids are only present in smaller amounts... it's not really a good complete protein when consumed as the sole food substance.

Guess what else, there are quite a good number of vegetables that have about 3gm, even 4gm, of protein per 100gm (A whopping 6gm if you are a garlic lover, which is also all remaining carb and no fat.).
    And... well... they certainly won't make you fat eating them either.

Potatoes... 93cal ... fat 0gm ... carb 21gm ... protein 3gm
    Portabella Mushrooms...26cal ... fat 0gm ... carb 5gm ... protein 3gm
    Garlic... 149cal ... fat 0gm ... carb 33gm ... protein 6gm

Now... would it really hurt anything on the "Tater" diet to add garlic and mushrooms to those potatoes?
    No.
    Nor would simply following a strictly low cal, low/moderate protein (from varied sources so that it is actually complete), very low/near zero fat DIET plan that included many other vegetables.
    Because that is all that the "Eat MOAR Taters" plan really is... rehashed lo-cal/lo-fat that is "easy" (read: may depress the appetite) because of the absolute monotony of it.
    And I'm not saying that to be insulting. That's how those crash diets are supposed to work in order to get you to shed some pounds quickly.
    But most people gain it right back because they go back to their normal eating patterns after.

I don't personally subscribe to crash diet approaches because of the vast and well documented history of their inefficacy in respect actual long term results. What they most often produce is yoyo-ing actual worsening of weight/health issues due to the ultimately unsustainable nature of the diets.
    I think that this Taters only approach is exactly that, a crash diet approach. I think that is an unhealthy mindset.
    That is my opinion.

But I respect the rights of people who want to try and swallow yet another magical pill...
    So I didn't repeat any of that in the official "Eat MOAR Taters" thread.

I found that Otzi himself was agreeable to discussion on the topic...
    Others, not so much.

Grizz was fun to poke because I think he's pretty genuinely mad... in the most disturbing yet entertaining way possible.
    Poking at people desperate/obsessed enough to eat only plain potatoes for 2weeks to lose 5or6 lbs... nah.
    I actually feel really bad for those folks. *shrug*
    Last edited by cori93437; 11-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think what also happens on some of these big threads is they become support groups for people who want to join in with a bunch of others in a project. They want support and camaraderie, not arguments. You should just let them have their support group. It's not like whatever they are into is going to cause the end of the world.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Can I join? Please? If you want, I can TRY to be ruthlessly sarcastic & pedantic... but it will be hard.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think what also happens on some of these big threads is they become support groups for people who want to join in with a bunch of others in a project. They want support and camaraderie, not arguments. You should just let them have their support group. It's not like whatever they are into is going to cause the end of the world.
    It would be great if threads like these could have two components: the discussion thread, and the support thread. Oh, no! More threads!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    re; potatoes

being a dick to get a point across is going to make people treat you like a dick, no two ways about it. like the dude who made a whole website to debunk the Potato Diet, only he wasn't even going to do the diet as is, he was going to add all kinds of protein to Preserve His Muscles

that's ridiculous, and i hope that my response and the responses of others showed how ridiculous we found it

do i care if people want to fast on potatoes for a week? no. it works for the majority of them, they seem happy with it, and i honestly don't care what they do with their bodies

i have my own body to worry about
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast