Thread: Supplements - Damage Control & Extra Vitamin D = 6000 IU???? page

jfedei is offline Member

Supplements - Damage Control & Extra Vitamin D = 6000 IU????

Shop Now
    Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone else out there has ordered Mark's Platinum Package which has the following:

Primal Fuel (whey protein powder)
    Damage Control
    High Potency Vitamin D
    Vital Omega's
    Primal Flora

According to the recommended dosage of these vitamins it says to take:

2 packets of the Damage Control daily (which combined will yield 2000 IU of Vitamin D total)
    3 of the Vital Omegas daily
    1 of the Primal Flora daily
    2 of the Vitamin D capsules (for a total of 4000 IU)

If I follow that protocol, that's a whompin 6000 IU of Vitamin D every day!! A few of the resources I've found online suggest that over use/toxicity of vitamin D can cause kidney stones, irregular heart rhythms (especially for post menopausal women).

The recommended doses I'm seeing are between 400 to 800 IU daily, with some studies suggesting that postmenopausal women shouldn't be taking Vitamin D & Calcium supplements due to increased health issues with overuse.

If I were to follow the Primal Supplement protocol as outlined, I worry about overdosing. Can someone please shed some light on this? I'm a bit confused. This is of particular interest to me as I'm over 50 and post menopausal. Here are a few websites where I found further information:

Vitamin D — Health Professional Fact Sheet

Government panel advises against vitamin D, calcium supplements

This site seems to have allot of info... they say up to 2000 IU daily is alright for older women:

VITAMIN D: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Thanks,
    Jenny
    Last edited by jfedei; 11-04-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    The govt recommended doses are laughably low, which is a reason why a lot of people are deficient in Vit D.
    Vitamin D: Sun Exposure, Supplementation and Doses | Mark's Daily Apple

If you're worried about taking too much from the above protocol, just don't take the extra D capsules.

I have 5,000 IU capsules and I take 1 or 2 each morning. I can't comment on the menopausal aspect, but I haven't read anyone on here holding back due to that.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I just went to a medical conference yesterday where there was some discussion of Vit. D (among other things). They said that not only is there no benefit to increased vit. D doses, but it actually INCREASES the risk of fractures and other complications once you go to 5000 IU and above - even in severely deficient people. More =/= better with a lot of things. No one knows why yet, but sometimes you just wonder if your body just isn't meant to process enormous amounts of a nutrient that it would never encounter in normal life.

jfedei is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    I just went to a medical conference yesterday where there was some discussion of Vit. D (among other things). They said that not only is there no benefit to increased vit. D doses, but it actually INCREASES the risk of fractures and other complications once you go to 5000 IU and above - even in severely deficient people. More =/= better with a lot of things. No one knows why yet, but sometimes you just wonder if your body just isn't meant to process enormous amounts of a nutrient that it would never encounter in normal life.
    That's what I've been reading out there, which has me concerned about the high level of vitamin D in the Primal Blueprint supplements.

I sent Mark a note earlier today, hopefully he will be able to address it with us.