Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are red kidneys beans the enemy in the primal diet? page

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member

Why are red kidneys beans the enemy in the primal diet?

Primal Fuel
    In the winter I make a lot of vegetarian soups and they load with red kidney beans. Also when I training for marathon/ultra-marathon the red kidney bean is my staple source of energy and protein. Especially when I get sick of eating dead animal carcass.

Mark doesn't go into detail in his book why the red kidney bean is an evil source of food? I have been eating them for 10 years without any issues.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Anything you have to soak for 12 hours and then boil the heck out of to remove enough toxins to make them eddible is a risk to eat as there are inevitably toxins left. No-one is gonna come round your house telling you you arn't in the paleo clubanymore and take yor membership card if you wanna eat then, just be aware they are not optimal and make you fart
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, kidney beans are one of the most toxic beans--they have a lectin called phytohaemagglutinin, which can poison you if they're not properly soaked and cooked long enough. The FDA even has a page on kidney bean poisoning. BBB - Phytohaemagglutinin

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    If you don't feel bad, eat all the beans you want.

The bean hate is mostly due to what is in beans, rather than the effect beans have on people . IF beans effect you negatively, obviously don't eat them. But otherwise, I don't care what anyone says, logic says beans are fine.

From what I have found, eating beans seems to consistently correlate with good health. In Loma Linda, eating MORE beans consistently correlated with good outcomes. Now, these are obviously correlations, but given enough positive correlations, I'd rather go with that then some fear mongers who are worried about what is in beans.

An example of "bad stuff in good things" would be fruit. Fruit has fructose, which is bad in general. BUT, when eaten in fruit, is good overall. My guess is that it's the same with beans. The toxins in beans may be bad, but when eaten as a WHOLE FOOD, it doesn't seem to be bad in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Yeah, kidney beans are one of the most toxic beans--they have a lectin called phytohaemagglutinin, which can poison you if they're not properly soaked and cooked long enough. The FDA even has a page on kidney bean poisoning. BBB - Phytohaemagglutinin
    Virtually everything can make you sick if prepared incorrectly. Go eat some raw pork, let's see how that works out for ya.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    Virtually everything can make you sick if prepared incorrectly. Go eat some raw pork, let's see how that works out for ya.
    But that's not the pork itself, it's the potential that it's contaminated with a parasite. Pork itself doesn't have anything poisonous in it.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    But that's not the pork itself, it's the potential that it's contaminated with a parasite. Pork itself doesn't have anything poisonous in it.
    Fine. Nuts are often poisonous without proper preparation. So nuts are bad. (Even though most nuts consistently correlate with very good health.)

Once again, if beans give you ill effects, by all means don't eat them. But not eating a whole food because of supposed "toxins", with no actual scientific data or even correlative data showing it's bad for you, seems awfully silly to me. The data on beans seems overwhelmingly positive, please link me otherwise.

Note: I am not talking about gmo-soybeans or any gmo beans.

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    See meeshar's FDA link, above.

ez2cy is offline Senior Member
    Tim Ferris of the 4 hour body, swears by eating beans.

go figure?
    55 yr old male

07/01/2013

Weight; 199
    Chest; 41.5
    Waist; 42
    Hips; 40
    Thigh; 22.5
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 17

07/20/2013

Weight; 200
    Chest; 42
    Waist; 42.5
    Hips; 39
    Thigh; 23
    Calf; 15
    Bicep: 13
    Forearm; 11.5
    Neck; 16

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Why are red kidneys beans the enemy in the primal diet?

Maybe because they are just plain boring. Try this experiment: cook some kidney beans w/o seasoning and taste them, now cook a ribeye w/o seasoning which is better?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast