Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why are red kidneys beans the enemy in the primal diet? page 3

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Some people still react to the trace toxins, even when beans are soaked.
    Some people don't.
    Red kidney beans are more likely to produce an allergic reaction/oversensitivity issue than most other beans. It's more a safety measure than anything else: if you're sensitive to legumes, then you're probably VERY sensitive to red kidney beans.

Test: Go bean-free. Aim to eat just as much carbs (through tubers, for example), fats and protein, do the same exercise... Just switch beans out. I did it with all legumes and found myself healthier. Now I just have the odd side-dish of green legume (peas, snowpeas, runner-beans) or hummus, rather than ever make beans the focus or bulk of a meal.
    Some people, however, will be just fine.

The secondary issue is the carbs: as they're essentially sugar, anyone doing high-intensity, low-frequency exercise (weight-lifting, 40 min, 2x a week) as their main energy-burner may have issues with eating beans for protein apart from pre-workout. Anyone aiming to lose weight may find issue with them. Someone doing medium-intensity, medium-frequency (jogging, 35-45min, 3-4x week) will likely burn the sugars off at a normal pace and anyone doing low-intensity, high-frequency (walking 1.5h/day, "messing" with light weights an hour every other day...) will be OK snacking on high-carb foods daily, but probably not able to burn through them as quickly as the med-int, med-frq.
    Also, as you primarily eat them over the Autumn and Winter months, you may be mimicking what some ancient HGs (and many modern HGs!) do: eat more carbs if you live somewhere Winter will be cold, as you may be burning more kcal through exposure to the elements and need a REGULAR supply of energy (high-carb starchy or proteiney veg releases sugars VERY slowly, giving even energy for heat-regulation). It also ties in with eating seasonally anywhere outside the equatorial band, where starchy veg and legumes become abundant over colder months (due to either bearing fruit then or being the only veg left well-preserved!). So some people may find it easy to eat VERY high carb in Autumn and Winter, but, on the same diet, gain weight over Summer.

Whatever works for you. Paleo isn't about setting limits or boundaries. It isn't about "re-creating" what we assume Paleolithic people ate. It's about rejecting processed foods for wholesome, natural ones. It's about questioning (not "outright denying", mind, but merely QUESTIONING) Common Wisdom and one-size-fits-all dietary advice. It's about trial and error and optimizing your diet to suit YOUR body and its needs.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I'm sorry guys.
    Seriously, Paleobird, sbhikes, ChocoTaco, pk...
    All that you have to say can be very interesting, but it's totally irrevelant now, that my favorite MDA poster is officially Barefoot
    Gentile.
    I think his vegetarian-with the half a week dead animal flesh until it disgusts you and some turkey sandwich because it's less nasty than red meat which is gross because it's all red and bloody and stuff and natural-diet is the best take ever made on the Paleo way of eating.

I'm sold.
    Nice try, though.
    Kudos to you! I imagine sarcasm in a second language takes some skill and I'm truly impressed. (Smart and a hunk. Good thing I'm old enough to be your grandmother. )

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WeldingHank View Post
    YOUR STILL HERE?

Have you read the primal blueprint? Mark lays out WHY you shouldn't eat legumes...but you STILL ask these questions.
    I own and read the book, and he lays it out in his own opinion, not in facts. Basically the whole book is written that way, lots of grey in the book.
    Last edited by Barefoot Gentile; 11-04-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Barefoot Gentile is offline Senior Member
    So kidney beans have less toxins than a pigs ring hole, interesting.

PoppaCap is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    So kidney beans have less toxins than a pigs ring hole, interesting.
    Huh?

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry guys.
    Seriously, Paleobird, sbhikes, ChocoTaco, pk...
    All that you have to say can be very interesting, but it's totally irrevelant now, that my favorite MDA poster is officially Barefoot
    Gentile.
    I think his vegetarian-with the half a week dead animal flesh until it disgusts you and some turkey sandwich because it's less nasty than red meat which is gross because it's all red and bloody and stuff and natural-diet is the best take ever made on the Paleo way of eating.

I'm sold.
    Nice try, though.

We wd. be lacking without your input Daydreamer. Best wishes.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Better for you or for me?
    Better for both of us you can take the beans and I'll take the flesh!!!!!!

chris collins is offline Junior Member

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Exactly. Every study on legumes (other than soybeans) shows great things. Maybe it has toxins, but maybe they don't really matter in the context of eating whole foods. It's possible that all the correlations are simply false, but I doubt it.

Obviously, if you are sensitive to beans, then that is different. (Just like with every food.)

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    I don't eat a lot of beans because my husband doesn't care for 'em due to the flatulence issue. But I've noticed since changing to a Primal diet, beans don't really have a gassy effect any longer. Again, I don't eat them often enough to really worry about toxins, etc. If I'm ever in a place where I'm offered real Mexican food, you can bet I'm sayin' "hell yeah!". there's no Mexican food in Australia.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast