Thread: Is there a daily minimum Calorie Intake for Men or Women on PB diet theory? page

The Gman is offline Junior Member

Is there a daily minimum Calorie Intake for Men or Women on PB diet theory?

Primal Fuel
    At various places on the Web I see statements indicating that 1800 and 1200 calories is the daily safe minimum for men and women respectively. I didn't see any mention of such a limit in the PB book.

Any help is much appreciated!

Neely is offline Member
    There are no calorie guides. If you eat the right foods as described, and eat when you are hungry, your body will naturally find it's ideal weight and shape.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Not on PB, but 1200 seems to be a low end estimate based on minimal needs. Obviously its just a guess/estimate and not going to be applicable to each person but it is a place to start.

Paul Jaminet says: "Eggs, salmon, and beef have more fat than protein, so if youíre aiming for 400 carb calories and 300 protein calories, youíll probably eat at least 500 fat calories per day. So it would seem to be impossible to go below about 1200 calories per day while still being well nourished." Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version | Perfect Health Diet

I don't quite agree with his "carb" calories, but if you read earlier in the article he does say 600 calories of carb/protein combined SO that does leave that portion open to moving about.

I thought Mark mentioned something in this neighborhood a few days ago, when he said that eating too few calories on the plan might actually stall weight loss (as would eating way too many).

I've seen similar calorie figures thrown around as those above. Typically, they are statistical averages (a very short or very large person might require a different minimum, for example). But when measured over large populations, and when consuming "ordinary" fare, these seem to be the numbers below which populations are food insecure.

Food insecurity for a population is different than an individual's daily needs, of course. And as many of our colleagues here have noted, some people eat less than those numbers, but feel fine, while others need much more than that just to be functional. Typically, though, if you tried to consume much less than those numbers over a long period, you would probably not be doing or feeling all that well!

SJW2 is offline Member
    This is a timely question for me. I'd be curious if anyone has any hard data on it. I find myself eating pretty little sometimes eating primal. I'm 5'10 168lbs (BF ~16-17%). I do some relatively safe calorie calculations in my head and find I often wind up around 1800 calories and sometimes often less. Especially with my recent adoption of the LeanGains 16/8 IF schedule, I find I don't really feel like eating much sometimes - and was worrying I may be undereating.

Neely is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SJW2 View Post
    This is a timely question for me. I'd be curious if anyone has any hard data on it. I find myself eating pretty little sometimes eating primal. I'm 5'10 168lbs (BF ~16-17%). I do some relatively safe calorie calculations in my head and find I often wind up around 1800 calories and sometimes often less. Especially with my recent adoption of the LeanGains 16/8 IF schedule, I find I don't really feel like eating much sometimes - and was worrying I may be undereating.
    I don't know what a 16/8 IF schedule is but personally I think that if you're not hungry and you are not denying yourself food, then you can't be undereating. If you are really really trying to pack on muscle then you can force yourself to eat more protein. But other than that then it's a no from my perspective.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    1800 kcal for any male is too low.

Period.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post

Period.
    Not if you are a male dwarf with a bodyweight below 80 pounds...

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post

Period.
    I weigh 125 lbs and am 5'5" and have had my maintenance levels calculated by both a nutritionist AND my doctor to be about 1,700 calories. And yes, I am a a male. Go ahead and make fun of my small size if you want.