Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How the heck do I get my Omega ratio down to 1:1 if the diet is so high in fat? page

Danger_Dave is offline Junior Member

How the heck do I get my Omega ratio down to 1:1 if the diet is so high in fat?

Primal Fuel
    I was just calculating my omega ratio and I found that because I eat 3 eggs and about 4 tablespoons of olive oil a day my omega 6 is always pushing 9,000mg... that means I would have to take 4 servings of fish oil at 2400mg just to get ahead and that isn't including all the omega 6 we get from the rest of the diet (I'd be pushing 14,000 omg6). I need some help understanding these principals. I have read all of the posts on how important it is to get to 1:1 and how fish oil is a good supplement but, Mark says nothing about a high fat diet being almost inevitably high in omega 6. I mean, it is 10X better than a processed, carb high, veg oil diet but still, high fat = high omega 6, right? How do I get to 1:1 without overdoing on supplements? Am I thinking to much? Or did I miss something?

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Switch away fom olive oil and nut oil. I use coconut oil and avocado oil.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Wow thanks Tara, coconut oil would make a big difference. Is it good to cook with?... I still find myself having a hard time getting 2000 cal (not that I am shooting for 2000, it just seems my body likes it when I get 2000) without getting high levels of omega 6... should I just take 3 doses of fish oil and keep searching for low omega 6 foods...

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Yes, coconut oil is good to cook with. Also, if you get animal fat from pastured sources, it's not going to have a bad n-6/n-3 ratio. That's the stuff we're supposed to be getting fat from.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

I get grassfed beef. I would buy Omega 3 eggs if I ate the yolks. I get raw cream, from pastured cows. No no no prepared/packaged/not in its natural form foods. Stay away from nuts/ nut oils (seriously). Avocado oil is great to cook with and has a GREAT ratio! Coconut oil is good to, and its yummy nummy. I do all that and I still take 1.2 g O3 a day.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Good advice so far. If you switched to pastured eggs (the kind i get is .5g of omega 3 and .7 omega 6), and replaced two tbs of olive oil with 2 of coconut oil that would be huge in itself.

I also like chia seeds. While the actual conversion of ALA to HUFAs is negligible, it will help stabilize the ratio by preventing ingested LA from becoming AA. So will GLA.

I love this site, ask and you shall receive. Thanks gang, pastured eggs, coconut oil and avocado oil just made my next grocery list. I think I can get to a 1:1 ratio now without a handful of fish oil pills, awesome... I wish I could still eat almonds. have you seen the omega 6 content in them! yikes. That was my vitamin E source, oh well

DD have you seen the omega 6 content of effing walnuts?! YIKES!!!

Haha Tara, I know its crazy... and I really liked the idea of nuts being a part of my diet. You can get a few hundred calories form just an ounce of nuts. That way I dont have to eat a whole big meal. But, I cant do it if it has that kind of omega 6. I hear macadamias are relativity balanced, I can give them a shot.

Supersonic is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger_Dave View Post
    Haha Tara, I know its crazy... and I really liked the idea of nuts being a part of my diet. You can get a few hundred calories form just an ounce of nuts. That way I dont have to eat a whole big meal. But, I cant do it if it has that kind of omega 6. I hear macadamias are relativity balanced, I can give them a shot.
    I have a love/hate relationship with nuts. In the end, I gave them up entirely. I can't have a little, I must have the whole pound bag. Nuts are a trigger to other bad foods. So I just gave up on them and really don't miss them now that I haven't have any sort of nuts for several months.
    "You can have it all, but how much do you want it?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast