Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How the heck do I get my Omega ratio down to 1:1 if the diet is so high in fat? page 2

JKC
    JKC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Eat oily fish - I have salmon every day
    Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Docter is offline Member
    There's no reason you need to have a 1:1 ration of 6 to 3. If you're eating primally and being conscious of your 6 intake you'll most likely be fine -- this isn't something to really stress about (if you're following primal guidelines).

If you want to talk semantics, anywhere from 1:1 to 3:1 or even 4:1 is probably okay for you. Americans average 10:1 so if you cut that in half I proclaim success.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Docter View Post
    There's no reason you need to have a 1:1 ration of 6 to 3. If you're eating primally and being conscious of your 6 intake you'll most likely be fine -- this isn't something to really stress about (if you're following primal guidelines).

If you want to talk semantics, anywhere from 1:1 to 3:1 or even 4:1 is probably okay for you. Americans average 10:1 so if you cut that in half I proclaim success.
    Ya, I'm not going to sit and obsess about my omega ratios. I don't really even know how you figure it out and I am fine with just eating primally and not worrying too much about it. I could definitely include more fish in my diet, though!

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Fish.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danger_Dave View Post
    I was just calculating my omega ratio and I found that because I eat 3 eggs and about 4 tablespoons of olive oil a day my omega 6 is always pushing 9,000mg... that means I would have to take 4 servings of fish oil at 2400mg just to get ahead and that isn't including all the omega 6 we get from the rest of the diet (I'd be pushing 14,000 omg6). I need some help understanding these principals. I have read all of the posts on how important it is to get to 1:1 and how fish oil is a good supplement but, Mark says nothing about a high fat diet being almost inevitably high in omega 6. I mean, it is 10X better than a processed, carb high, veg oil diet but still, high fat = high omega 6, right? How do I get to 1:1 without overdoing on supplements? Am I thinking to much? Or did I miss something?
    PaNu suggests we prefer SFA and MUFAs , then minimize overall PUFAs with a ratio appropriate to the EM2. A ratio of N-6:N-3 close to 2:1 is desirable, which suggests complete avoidance of mechanically extracted vegetable oils high in N-6, and if necessary, compensatory supplementation with N-3s via fish or fish oil.

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    I can't believe someone bumped a 6 month thread. But, to agree with Docter, 4:1 or lower is good enough. If you go below 1:1 then you actually have problems with thinning blood.

Remember not to go overboard with extremes. There is a huge obsession with getting Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio down but its only elevated by eating franken foods. If you eat a strict paleo diet with no fish and only grass fed meats (as many of our ancestors would have ate if they lived inland) you will get good ratios anyway. Don't fall for the thinking that if x is bad then the complete opposite must be good.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Good point Bushrat. While we're at it, I read Stabby's comment that ALA can help prevent conversion to AA. So ALA isn't enitrely useless? Can anyone expound on this?

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member
    I was thinking the same thing. Omega 6 is in almost everything, Omega 3 mostly fish and fish oil.
    I can't imagine that a lot of tribes around the world would be getting a good omega 6-3 ratio, some of them would've rarely had fish available to them.
    I think it's not worth stressing over, just make sure you supplement with fish oil, eat enough fish and sea life. As for fats, I like adding in a variety of foods, so you can just switch it up in your fat intake (grass-fed meat, eggs, olive oil, almond butter, nuts, seeds, coconuts, avocado).

mwok86 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Edje Noh View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Omega 6 is in almost everything, Omega 3 mostly fish and fish oil.
    I can't imagine that a lot of tribes around the world would be getting a good omega 6-3 ratio, some of them would've rarely had fish available to them.
    I think it's not worth stressing over, just make sure you supplement with fish oil, eat enough fish and sea life. As for fats, I like adding in a variety of foods, so you can just switch it up in your fat intake (grass-fed meat, eggs, olive oil, almond butter, nuts, seeds, coconuts, avocado).
    Omega 3 is in a lot true free range pastured animals (and more balanced ratio). Factory farming increases omega 6 and lowers omega 3.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12