Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depression- encouraging experience page

pete is offline Junior Member

Red face Depression- encouraging experience

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I am interested in people's experiences with Paleo and its effect on anxiety and/or depression.
    I have been on anti-depressants for years and have had recurring dpressive episodes in that time.
    It all came to a head about 6 weeks ago when i was out with my wife and children. We had gone to see a play in London - great seats for a great show. I had eaten a toasted bagel and drank a large coffee on the way.
    During the show I looked at other people laughng and enjoyign themselves and i decided that i could no longer take feeling so isolated. I resolved to giving this way of life a proper go for 3 months.

In the last 6 weeks i have stopped all grains and sugar ( massive previous addiction to both) , eat lots of meat, eggs and fish. I still have some tea but aim to reduce that. I walk lots and some weights - paleo exercise and aim to stat sprints soon.
    I feel so much better. I feel a bit down today for the first time in 6 weeks but it is no depression - just a bit of a low mood. I actually link it to some highly toxin resin i was doing home repairs with yesterday ( avoid poisonous things!).

I am excited that in time i shall get even better, fitter and perhaps reduce my medication starting at Christmas.
    I want to encourage anyone with depression or anxiety issues to give this lifestyle a real go. I am also seeking the views and experiences of others on this issue.
    Pete

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    that's great pete, i'm happy for you
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Sharyn54 is offline Junior Member
    good work and good news. Good luck with the rest of your journey

snoops is offline Senior Member
    My experience with getting rid of grains is a little different. I believe my addiction to grains was relatd to their opiate like response in me. I understand many overweight people are addicted to this response mostly because we have less dopamine receptors than most. At any rate after 6 months of being off grains I was getting quite low and depressed. Also right around the fall and lower sunlight hours. I have moved to the southern US from Canada and last winter found I did not need my SAD lite as I had in previous years in Canada. This year however in combination with no grains I am needing it.

That is such an easy fix though that its OK. Just be aware of this in your journey

pete is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your encouragment.
    And sSoops, thank you. In fact i have a SAD lite too and will use it again this winter.
    I cant help feeling instintively that the best thing i can do for myself is to eat well, sleep well and play more. It may not mean the end of my depression but then it may mean that. I will keep an open mind. I will rety to accept that Grok would have had bad days too but that on the whole life was good.

Pete

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    I've actually been mildly depressed for the last few months. Although it's hard to tell if it's eating primally or not.

I suspect that part of the problem is increased cortisol levels due to IF.

Hopefully the arrival of summer will banish that all away.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

LauraDork is offline Junior Member
    On my road to Primal (it's been happening for a while and I am still reducing my carb intake), a big portion of the reason to go Primal for me was for depression. Whilst it is something that will probably affect me for my entire life - off and on - I don't believe that it has to rule my life. I am a very practical person so I realise a lot of my problems can be reduced by acknowledging the feelings and thoughts I am having. It's ok to say "yeah, I'm not doing so great today".
    I do think that Primal has had a positive effect on my depression, as I think treating your body well (eating good food, being good to yourself) can have a huge impact on how you perceive yourself.
    I have also sought the help of a psychologist to help me, and it has helped a bit despite me being quite skeptical about the whole process.
    I realise not everyone is the same, but PM me if you wish to chat about Primal and the effect it has on depression.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Pete - good luck with your journey. I havn't suffered from depression, but have many family members who do. I am in the process of getting my DH to suppliment his diet with magnesium. I read on one of the MDA threads that it helps with anxiety. He forgets to take it some nights, but when he does I have noticed a marked improvement in his sleep. He isn't fighting snakes, or lions, or beasts all night. I have also noticed that his snoring has improved on magnesium. My DH is not primal, however he has cut back on his sugar and processed foods.
    Good luck with your journey
    G
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I went primal to lose unwanted weight. Within a couple of months of starting, I decided I was ready to try going off of the anti-depressants I was on. I've been on and off SRI's for years. I think I'm about 1 year off of them now. At some point, I was not having an easy time without the pills, so I read "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross and it has helped a lot. I take 5-HTP for depression and L-tyrosine for anxiety. I felt great when I first started primal, but it may have just been placebo effect and being excited about the new diet. Or my brain is just screwy.

The #1 thing for me is making sure I get enough protein and keep sugar LOW. My moods immediately suffer as soon as I start eating refined sugar again.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Alex Who_else is offline Junior Member
    Hi, i recently learned that i am exposed to be insuline intolerant due to PCOS, that piece of info would have been helpful in my youth...was vegetarian for 20 years...and with no longer handable carbs cravings i had developped bulimia at an age of 17... i really felt like an addict...my brain was shouting out loud for carbs, i got headaches when i was off, felt so helpless and trapped, for days and weeks i ate just carbs, and developped a depression (dysthemia), they put me on some antidepressiva but they did help little, around a decade later i read a book about "sugar and bulimia", and it was a kind of klick for me, about the reasons for my addictions.. i gradually reduced carbs...forced myself to keep food with low level of sugar in...and both my health and my cravings started to improve, the depression was fading...but it took again another decade....at 37 i read more about paleo, low carb, and forced myself to stop being vegetarian (i always thought i was a kind of born yogi, hated meat from childhood on, yogateacher etc), which was really difficult...at the beginning i found these dead body parts so extremely disgusting...but at a sudden, i started dreaming about bloody meat...and was eating and eating meat... now, if i am reducing carbs to below 50g a day....i have peace of mind...and i love this feeling so much.... after all these many years of addiction, depression, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast