Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Healthy Carbs Thread page 2

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sweet potatoes, white potatoes, squash, root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, beets, turnips...), other vegetables, white rice, fruit, and a small amount of honey and maple syrup.

Also, being fat adapted and eating moderate amounts of carbs (or carb cycling) are not mutually exclusive. Fat adaptation is not necessarily being in ketosis 24/7. I like being metabolically flexible.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Bananas, sweet potato, white and yukon potatoes and pumpkin are the primal carb sources that I can tell my body likes. I actually prefer eating these vs apples, berries, etc. I was trying apples but I think the fructose was too high for my body to handle.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Besides the stuff already mentioned by others, I've been trying out some tubers from Central/South America and the Carribbean when I can find them. Stuff like yuca, jicama, taro, and name. If I don't *force* myself to try new stuff, it's too easy to eat rice and potatoes everyday, because I really like them and they're pretty easy to cook.

Also, I've been doing some baking lately, mainly using white rice, sorghum, and tapioca flours to make muffins with all the apples I got from the farmer's market.

I'm thinking about trying to make some kind of fried plantain in coconut oil sometime soon.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    I use a little honey and quinoa as well.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    If you can find purple sweet potatoes they are really a lot different than any other kind of sweet potato. Kind of a purple lightly sweet starchy like a russet potato and sort of dry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Seasonal. Primary sources are...
    Late Summer and Autumn: squashes, pumpkins, parsnips, turnips, chestnuts, almonds, apples, pears, berries.
    Winter: parsnips, squashes, pumpkins, chestnuts, almonds, walnuts, any other nut that keeps well, apples.
    Spring to Summer: leafy greens, seeds, cucumbers, asparagus, beetroot, courgette, raddishes.
    All year: carrots, sweet potatoes, different brassicas, bananas, dried fruits and roasted seeds/nuts.

Eating seasonally: cheap, varied, tastes better, less risk of being contaminated, force-cultivated or dipped in shellac.

(Yes, I mix and match and eat out of season, but, primarily, that's my MAIN carb-intake and it's USUALLY seasonal.)

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    If you can find purple sweet potatoes they are really a lot different than any other kind of sweet potato
    i have tried them and wasnt overly impressed. my kids didnt like them at all so i have not bothered again as they are not cheap. we do get a type of sweet potato here called a hawaian blue which is blue inside. well in the middle, it is faintly blue and they are nice. i like maori potatoes which are mainly the pre-1900 varieties of potato. different starches to modern potatoes. i have never liked rice and last time i checked it was a grain anyways so i am gonna hide behind that. other than that, i have root veges like parnsip, oca, carrots and kumara ( sweet potato ) on occasion. the odd banana in a paleo mug cake with some coconut flour. the carbs in nuts and dairy and avocados. i dont mind plantains either but the kids arent keen on them.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    As the weather has cooled, my yen for fruits and berries has also cooled. But I'm eating more tomatoes and squash. Avocado is available all year, but I've decreased those from about one a day to one a week, just by taste, not because I'm avoiding them. I'm eating white rice (like less than a cup cooked) occasionally, and now that I've tasted duck fat french fries, they may be my undoing. I like cauliflower and brussel sprouts. Citrus - I go through a lot of lemons, and once a week I infuse some vodka with grapefruit, but since you only use the skin for that, I eat the grapefruit after I've zested it.

Jester123 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the replys! Getting carbs from primal foods doesnt seem so hard now

cweede is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    sweet potatoes with butter, only a medium Russet with butter and Sour Cream; stone ground wheat bread only if about to work out to burn it off; no rice although I would like to test some wild rice out. Vegetables, meat and eggs on relaxed days. Occassionally a half cup of cooked chick peas on a salad. Diabetic so these are things that I can tolerate if less that 30-40 grams of lower GI carbs(hence no rice- still want to see if wild rice has a lower GI type effect)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast