Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Have you had any benefits from removing dairy? page 5

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I lasted 9 days dairy-free before I went back to eating (organic, whole milk) yogurt. Dairy is a binge trigger food for me. I tell myself "this stuff is designed to make cows grow massively fast. I can eat it, but only if I take its growth-stimulating powers seriously." This means only a cup of yogurt once in awhile...

But see, if I keep yogurt on hand, I always end up eating it instead of other things. "Hmm...I could make a salad...or I could eat this yogurt that's delicious and creamy and needs no preparation." Throw in a banana and some nut butter and suddenly I've eaten 3 bananas and a large container of yogurt and I have to go do my "oh no I ate too much" yoga sequence...

The hormones in dairy are really scary to me... I think eating too much dairy messes with my menstrual cycle... and like I said, if there is yogurt (the only dairy I like) in the house, I will definitely eat too much of it. So... I dunno. I've tried rationalizing it, "oh it's a probiotic, it's already digested and yay gut bacteria" but... I'm about to cut it out again. My boyfriend hasn't read much about primal but he has really good caveman instincts and he doesn't eat any dairy, but he loves celery lol...if only I had his taste buds!!

I'm a singer/musician so I really notice the foods I eat when I sing. Dairy creates a definite mental fog...even though it doesn't make me mucusy it makes me feel like I can't hear my own voice very well, like I'm separated from the outside world by a wall of milkfat or something...

There are a lot of reasons to stay away from dairy and very few reasons to eat it, the only one I can think of is because it tastes good...and that's obviously not a good reason to eat something or else I'd be eating milk chocolate and french fries all the time...and those days are definitely over. It's time for me to leave dairy behind...or at least keep it to a rare indulgence...I doubt I will ever stop making my garlic-parmesan chicken wings...mmmm.. but it shouldn't be a main source of calories in your diet. I think I fucked my hormones up by binging on yogurt. But if primal eating has taught me anything it's that whatever damage I have done to my body, the path to healing it is always the same: by eating better and more consciously, and doing more yoga/lifting.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Dairy for the primal group is like wheat for the general public. It tastes good, is a part of our culture, and therefore a refusal to give it up. In light of all the issues with dairy (I don't think anyone would dispute it's high to very high estrogen sulfate content...), why do people continue to consume it?

Saying that you do fine on dairy is a bizarre concept. Most people with gluten issues feel fine (it's a sliding scale of course) and the real danger is that it causes symptom-less issues. So why would dairy be any different?

Just my thoughts...

patski is offline Senior Member
    I've noticed a lack of congestion with avoiding dairy. If I even have a small amount, within 30 minutes, my nose is all plugged up.

I've tried goat's milk yogurt, raw goat's milk cheese...but I still get congested. Whey protein powder, same thing. Not really sure why, as I thought whey was devoid of casein and lactose. Butter, not so much, but I still avoid it mostly.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Forgotmylastusername is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Why do you need a substitute??
    If it is for the probiotics (the only possible benefit to yoghurt and not much evidence to support that), then there are lots - sauerkraut is the first that comes to mind, kombucha, kimchi, kefir, ratfiisk, pickles and believe it or not some dark chocolat, some ciders etc etc
    Taste wise. I just love eating yogurt. I read there's nut based yogurts but I can't find any locally.

brooke.S. is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    Ok, I made it the first day. How long does it take to notice the benefits if you do indeed have a minor intolerance to dairy? I'm guessing atleast a week or so. And is there any other alternatives to yogurt besides coconut yogurt?
    Goats milk yogurt is good. I get it at Whole Foods. They also have a kefir... good stuff

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    The other thing I noticed in giving up dairy- I didn't think of it in my earlier post - is I no longer wake up with 'sleep' in my eyes. At least thats what I call it - you know when you wake up and you rub your eyes and you have little dried crusties in the corners. When I gave up dairy, this no longer happened. I still occasionally eat cheese. If I do it 4 or so days in a row, the crusties come back.

Forgotmylastusername is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    The other thing I noticed in giving up dairy- I didn't think of it in my earlier post - is I no longer wake up with 'sleep' in my eyes. At least thats what I call it - you know when you wake up and you rub your eyes and you have little dried crusties in the corners. When I gave up dairy, this no longer happened. I still occasionally eat cheese. If I do it 4 or so days in a row, the crusties come back.
    That's pretty interesting. I lasted 1 week and didn't have many benefits so I've added in goats yogurt. I only really notice effects when I eat a whole tub of cows yogurt. I've switched to a splash of coconut milk in my coffee and I've cut all other dairy besides goats yogurt a few times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post

Saying that you do fine on dairy is a bizarre concept. Most people with gluten issues feel fine (it's a sliding scale of course) and the real danger is that it causes symptom-less issues. So why would dairy be any different?

Just my thoughts...
    I agree. It's just that yogurt is too damn tasty.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 11-20-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Shalimar is offline Member
    No perceived consequences here. I have limited dairy to half and half in my morning coffee for the last month to cut through a weight plateau. This I did. I also gave up wine and was stricter with portions.

The only problem I have had with dairy is constipation. However, if I consume large amounts of vegetables, especially cooked, no problem with consuming large amounts of dairy.

'Mucus' or congestion: I've never associated problems with dairy. In fact the worst congestion I have had in the past few years was the last couple nights, on my low dairy diet. My DH is a vegan and has awful congestion. Seems to me most congestion is caused by dust.

It is known that adult lactose tolerance is a mutation in many Europeans and East Africans.
    "...forever wild..."
    Baxter State Park

55 years old, 5'4"
    1/1/11 weight: 172 and grumpy
    Lost 7 lbs on calories in, calories out
    Went paleo/primal 1/1/12
    Current weight: 144 and happy
    Goal weight is 130 more or less

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Still have butter/ghee/cream. I used to get skin eczma on my face, but it's cleared up when I stopped drinking milk.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I find it a little easier to keep my weight down when I cut out dairy.
    Never had sinus issues so no difference there.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast