Thread: Nutritional Ketosis and Sodium page

PeaceMachineGun is offline Junior Member

Nutritional Ketosis and Sodium

Hey Guys,

This is my second day attempting to truly get into nutritional ketosis. I'm keeping my ratios at roughly 80/15/5 and carbs around 30g/day. I've noticed a definite increase in thirst, dry mouth and urination. I can really feel the water weight coming off, I already look leaner. However there are some other things that seem to be happening in this stage of adaptation that aren't so subtle. I'm definitely tired, headachey, and a little irritable. And it seems like the only thing that helps is salt. It really does help ameliorate these syptoms. But I'm wondering what the upper limit on salt supplementation is in this stage of adaptation? I've heard different things like 2-4g/day from Peter Attia and up to 5g/day from Phinney and Volek. What do you think and does Mark have a position on this?

PS: I'm a 27 year old male with completely normal BP. Also, would body size/frame (I'm 6'1", 235lbs.) play a role in potentially allowing for a higher supplemental intake of salt?
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.

-George Carlin

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Hi: I've been in ketosis for about 3 months. I enjoy the feeling of increased energy. I have same symptoms as you. I drink 2 bouillon cubes per day and I feel much better for it.
    /Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

KWM
    KWM is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Dr. Michael R. Eades covers sodium depletion in his blog post Tips and Tricks for Starting (Or Restarting) Lo Carb Pt II, The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D.Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D..

My favorite drink handles this beautifully -- squeeze juice of fresh lemon over crushed ice, liberally sprinkled with a fun sea salt -- grey, pink, smokey-brown or white -- maybe a crushed basil leaf or two. Fill with filtered water.

I've taken to having one of these when I get home from work each night. Also handled leg-cramps better than magnesium.