Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A year of paleo vs. a week of SAD. SAD is winning. page 3

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    No, it was just wheat-based crappy processed foods that improved my mood and energy. But there were diminishing returns, and they made me feel like any other person after about a week. Scroll up for an update on my situation ^^^^
    I was wondering that when I read your first post. I used to work with alcoholics and they were convinced that the booze made them feel better. Well it did until they stopped drinking it and then they felt real bad until they started again. Sounds like you have made some progress with dietary changes, but maybe allow yourself plenty of time for them to bed in and keep tweaking.

Timthetaco Guest
    After my tragic disappointment with the gastroenterologist, I've decided to make an appointment with an endocrinologist. I still have a lot of hormonal problems that need investigating. Hopefully I actually find something this time. But if I don't, I suppose I'll spend more time over at Matt Stone's blog.

PS It feels great to not be celiac. I don't think I could live without an occasional stuffed crust pizza. Well, I could, but life would suck.

charrison is offline Junior Member
    I will probably incur the wrath of the experts from this, being so new, but I am experiencing a very similar problem since switching to Paleo. I used to be an accidental vegetarian in the sense that I realized over time that I just wasn't buying meat or dairy and I felt great. I wasn't strict, but sought to eat a generally lower-processed diet, with occasional meat if any. I was thin. I started running and had a killer body. I felt like all of my nutritional needs were being met. I felt good.

Sadly I took part in a fast that I carried out and broke unwisely, and it messed my metabolism up for a matter of many months. Whatever I had going for me was lost, which was when, with nothing to lose, I began experimenting with paleo philosophy. After going grain-free to break myself in, followed by full paleo, my diet now consists almost solely of vegetables, nuts, meat and eggs. (Maybe I'm missing something?) While going grain free has definitely trimmed off some extra fat from an already petite person, I can't say I really *feel* amazing. I feel good for the most part. I feel better than I did when my metabolism was out of whack. But I also feel consistently unsatisfied. I'm inclined to think, "Just stick it out longer!!" but I've spoken to some people who feel the same way and who have been doing it longer than I have. When I dare, the only thing that makes this unsatisfied feeling go away is grain. I can eat and eat and eat (and eat) the 'right' foods according to primal philosophy to the point it just makes me sick to think about, but only grain hits the mark.

So maybe nothing's wrong. Maybe paleo just isn't your body's best choice and maybe that's ok.

What strikes me about SAD is not that it has grains or that it has meat and one or the other is bad. It's that both of these things are extremely processed for the thrifty or unwise consumer, which is why they have become villainized by different camps, who usually don't control for quality in their studies. I think you can have a winning diet that doesn't fall strictly into any category by choosing foods in moderation that avoid the American mega-food machine.

As for me, I'm sticking this out for awhile longer, and I'll stick it out genuinely. It deserves a real chance, free of despondent cheating. But if it stays like it is, I'm getting back into healthy grains because it's best for MY body. I know what I felt like before and it definitely beats this. Regardless of what works for other people.

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charrison View Post
    I will probably incur the wrath of the experts from this, being so new, but I am experiencing a very similar problem since switching to Paleo. I used to be an accidental vegetarian in the sense that I realized over time that I just wasn't buying meat or dairy and I felt great. I wasn't strict, but sought to eat a generally lower-processed diet, with occasional meat if any. I was thin. I started running and had a killer body. I felt like all of my nutritional needs were being met. I felt good.

Sadly I took part in a fast that I carried out and broke unwisely, and it messed my metabolism up for a matter of many months. Whatever I had going for me was lost, which was when, with nothing to lose, I began experimenting with paleo philosophy. After going grain-free to break myself in, followed by full paleo, my diet now consists almost solely of vegetables, nuts, meat and eggs. (Maybe I'm missing something?) While going grain free has definitely trimmed off some extra fat from an already petite person, I can't say I really *feel* amazing. I feel good for the most part. I feel better than I did when my metabolism was out of whack. But I also feel consistently unsatisfied. I'm inclined to think, "Just stick it out longer!!" but I've spoken to some people who feel the same way and who have been doing it longer than I have. When I dare, the only thing that makes this unsatisfied feeling go away is grain. I can eat and eat and eat (and eat) the 'right' foods according to primal philosophy to the point it just makes me sick to think about, but only grain hits the mark.

So maybe nothing's wrong. Maybe paleo just isn't your body's best choice and maybe that's ok.

What strikes me about SAD is not that it has grains or that it has meat and one or the other is bad. It's that both of these things are extremely processed for the thrifty or unwise consumer, which is why they have become villainized by different camps, who usually don't control for quality in their studies. I think you can have a winning diet that doesn't fall strictly into any category by choosing foods in moderation that avoid the American mega-food machine.

As for me, I'm sticking this out for awhile longer, and I'll stick it out genuinely. It deserves a real chance, free of despondent cheating. But if it stays like it is, I'm getting back into healthy grains because it's best for MY body. I know what I felt like before and it definitely beats this. Regardless of what works for other people.
    Why not eat some fruit instead of nuts? I think you might feel better... I did when I made the switch. Everyone is different but usually most feel better with a few more grams of carbs in their system.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charrison View Post
    my diet now consists almost solely of vegetables, nuts, meat and eggs.
    Sounds like you need to include starches and resistant starches, the things that SAD provide to some extent as opposed to paleo, unless you consider tubers "paleo". But who cares ? If you do paleo a la Cordain, you will miss on things for sure.

Ditch the "paleo" concept, be "primal": much more loose and neolithic stuff allowed if it makes you feel good (like dairy, etc).

You did not mention fish, etc. Is it included in "meat" ?

Here is what I do: I am sort of following a Perfect Health Diet (cf. Paul Jaminet) with fermented dairy (I don't do lactose very well). I do fish a lot, and I eat resistant starches (see threads on this matter). Meat is present but not as some paleo people seem to advocate (like a few raw steaks every day ...). I have some days muscle-meat free, but I do eat organ meats (liver, heart) regularly. I supplement with fermented cod liver oil in winter because I am a southerner needing vit D3. In summer, I am outside most of the time, with a suntan that seem to trigger envy among friends - I don't know why really, i just can't help it.

BarkerFit is offline Junior Member
    Troll?

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Have you had an allergy panel done? With clean food you end up having more of single substances. Allergies could explain a lot. My daughter recently was feeling terrible all the time. She actually ended up in the ER from eating virtually anything. Her allergy results came back after a couple of weeks showing very high allergies to nearly all meat, plus as expected dairy and eggs.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BarkerFit View Post
    Troll?
    No.

Anyway, I was surprised to see this bumped after such a long while, but I figured an update wouldn't hurt. Reading my original post, it seems likely that I either had a bacterial overgrowth, or my high fat, high fiber, low carb diet was causing me to spasm out of control. All the diagnostics didn't amount to anything more than an official diagnosis of IBS. I had my colonic spasms confirmed on the colonoscopy, which are well enough controlled these days with things like raw garlic, lemon juice or peppermint tea. I also recognize now it's the spasms that create the fake sensation of a bowel movement, so trying to force it out on the toilet like I used to was probably one of the more idiotic things I ever did.

I'm a lot better these days, and I feel like I'm nearing the end of this particular part of my diet journey. If indeed I had a bacterial overgrowth, it's likely the antibiotics I took for an ear infection early last year wiped it clean, though it was never officially diagnosed. Not that a hydrogen breath test is a very useful diagnostic tool in the first place, but I digress. I've been flooding my gut with Florastor (s. boulardii) lately, to the tune of five capsules per day, in addition to Culturelle or sauerkraut, depending on my mood. I'm relying on less fibrous plant matter for carbohydrates while I rebuild my gut (rice, white potatoes). I have a bad habit of feeling good for one day and then sabotaging all my progress with a FODMAP heavy meal at a Thai restaurant the next. Oh well, you live and learn, and I've learned a lot, but I still have to learn self-control.

I realize now that a diet of highly digestible sourdough bread and Twizzlers (what I was mainly eating at my absolute low point) would obviously offer me great relief from my usually high fiber paleo diet. It's kind of unfortunate everything I had to learn to improve my health when I was only in this to lose some weight. However, at the same time I'm grateful for the knowledge I've gained from all my suffering and research, and I hope some day I might have the opportunity to offer my advice to relieve the suffering of others.

I'd also like to mention that after a while I abandoned the usual paleo/alternative medicine advice you usually see for gut problems - bone broth, low yeast diet to control "candida", betaine for low stomach acid, etc - in favor of things that have at least a small amount of clinical efficacy or research behind them, like the Florastor for gut flora/inflammation and the peppermint for spasms. I wasted too much money and time on second-hand probiotics and voodoo science that offered little to no benefit.

When I consider myself to be good and truly healed, I'll try my best to give the full story in the before and after thread, complete with my obese, emaciated and healthy pictures.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 01-16-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123